LegacyGT.com

Built bottom end anygood?

Just stopping by here to reinforce everyone else's opinions. :)

OP, unless you're prepared to spend up to $30k on this project and spend months in the making I would not chase those windmills. I've shoveled about $23k into my OBXT to make it a reliable auto-x wagon with a stock bottom end and less than 350hp. Problem is, it's still not THAT reliable. You need to understand that it's nut just the engine were talking about here. These are old cars now, if you thrown 400+whp into one you're going to be replacing everything connected to the subframes at some point. ;) Also, if you're not skilled with a wrench, starting with a build that has a high p[enalty for failure can be a bad idea. Paying someone to do the work for you won't hurt any less either!

We're not trying to be jerks, it's just that if we had a dollar for everyone who came in here, said they wanted a reliable 400+hp, and then never actually had that pan out.... well, we could've bought SBT a faster server by now. Take it from the veterans (no, not myself), start small and work your way up.

MTBwrench's Stage 3 5EAT #racewagon 266awhp/255awtq @17.5psi, Tuned By Graham of Boosted Performance

Everyone knows what I taste like.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Haha I was around $10k to get 325HP and still was plagued with issues.

From someone who went in from stock and two rebuilds, knowing nothing about Subaru vehicles from the get go, I would have to agree with the more seasoned gentlemen on this forum. Start buying lottery tickets or get a VERY high paying job if you intend on chasing a 400-500HP goal.

I'm dead ass broke on my third project build. Between suspension upgrades, Level 10 transmission \ TC \ VB and diffs to support the future 380HP goal, drive shaft, axles, supporting systems, etc...it's going to be a long time. Worth it? IMO for myself sure. I have a primary vehicle to DD. When this is done I'm going to have me some expensive fun!

I have no doubt these guys know what they're talking about. Very knowledgable and friendly group of people here.

I do not have any intentions of modding my Outback. It's my daily driver / utility vehicle and plenty of fun for me as is. Also I already have a 555 HP ride (see post #30)

I have three alarms on my phone that go off throughout the day, they all remind me to not buy parts or mod my LGT no matter what.

These cars are expensive, even in stock form. OP keeps saying he doesn't care about the cost, but many many people on this forum can confirm that whatever amount of money you think it is going to cost to hit your goal you can safely double that and still may go beyond that. Just keep that in mind when you start ordering parts and tearing your car apart.

I have three alarms on my phone that go off throughout the day, they all remind me to not buy parts or mod my LGT no matter what.

These cars are expensive, even in stock form. OP keeps saying he doesn't care about the cost, but many many people on this forum can confirm that whatever amount of money you think it is going to cost to hit your goal you can safely double that and still may go beyond that. Just keep that in mind when you start ordering parts and tearing your car apart.

Yep, in a perfect world $3000 can get you out of a rut and back on the road again. In a perfect world, 1 time use bolts on a 10 year old car won't break on removal. In reality, you will find more stuff needing fixed on tear down and everything you touch on a winter lived car is a 1 time use bolt.

Yep, in a perfect world $3000 can get you out of a rut and back on the road again. In a perfect world, 1 time use bolts on a 10 year old car won't break on removal. In reality, you will find more stuff needing fixed on tear down and everything you touch on a winter lived car is a 1 time use bolt.

Oh my god, this is my life right now.

Oh my god, this is my life right now.

Join the club. It's standard practice for me now to order new hardware whenever I'm working with either high stress/risk components, or anything suspension and frame related.

MTBwrench's Stage 3 5EAT #racewagon 266awhp/255awtq @17.5psi, Tuned By Graham of Boosted Performance

Everyone knows what I taste like.

Join the club. It's standard practice for me now to order new hardware whenever I'm working with either high stress/risk components, or anything suspension and frame related.

Due to improper cam bolt removal technique, Cam, Cam Gear, and Cam bolts all replaced. This was all done by someone who pulls subaru engines in the past.

Downpipe removal on my 2008 STI that had seen MD/VA winters? 1 hour. Downpipe removal on my 2008 Spec B that had seen WI/PA winters? 3 days. And 7 cut off bolts.

My car started off in GA, then NoVa when I got it from OO, and now it's here in Ohio hating life.

OP, just read this thread all the way through. It's an excellent point to point reference. It stepped on my baby nuts very fast. Now I have much more reasonable goals, and am taking the absolutely required time to plan and not execute those plans until every I is dotted and T is crossed.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/thisisthenewsic-quest-600-whp-225425p15.html

Archived