LegacyGT.com

front sway bar bushings-on the ground or up?

Super-quick question, guys! I am planning to change the bushings on my front sway bar. After some googling it looks like I should have the car on the ground (weight on the tires) to do this. There is, however, a youtube video where the car is on a jack stand. Is there a correct way? Does it matter? If the car is on the ground, will there been tension on the bar? Just trying to prevent injuries on that last one :-).

Easiest way is to use a set of car ramps. The suspension is loaded and you have easier access. There should be no tension on the sway bar as long as the suspension is level (that is, left-side and right-side are equal height)

I was trying to explain what in my opinion is the best way, other ways will work, too.

If you have to install a new swaybar, or change swaybar endlinks, I think having the swaybar in its normal position and orientation helps. So, I prefer to do this type of job on ramps. Seems simple enough. But somebody always has to find flaws. Oh, well.

Oh, I sure wasn't trying to find flaws or put down your advice. I'm sorry you thought that. I just wanted to point out that sway bars aren't as sensitive as major components and not to get too wrapped up in procedure. But ramps *are* better for most under car work since they are more stable than a jack or even stands. I use my rams a lot.

When I did all my bushings, I made the mistake of having the car in the air when I did it, and the suspension would pop over occasional bumps, however, when I reinstalled them in the air but with some lubricant, the pops went away and it hasn't given me issues since.

Archived