LegacyGT.com

mt4 gearbox oil leak

I have a 93 legacy with 4speed auto and for some reason it smokes a bunch when i puch it hard or driving over 140kph about 65mph for others.

it does have a small oil leak on the sump but why does it smoke so profusely when under heavy load. and when i stop the smoke comes from the engine as well so I imagine it leaks over the manifault as well.

what can i look at or should i start with sorting out the sump leak first.

it hapened today as well when doing a 3 point u turn in the street and had to do it quick so i suppose it put some more load on the box.

Well generally speaking when you are at higher load there is higher pressure so it forces more oil out of the leak than at low pressure. It sounds like your valve cover gaskets spark plug tube seals are bad. I would also have a look at your head gaskets along with the bottom from and rear of your engine.

The rear main seal will leak and gunk up the oil pan area and drip on the exhaust the Crank and Cam seal will leak doing the same only in the front of the engine.

Weather being cold here (don't know your location), I'd ordinarily suggest cleaning the top of the engine off with degreaser and water to try and narrow down the source.

You can clean the pump area with a rag, gas, and carb cleaner.

O.

ok so now i fixed the leak, was the power steering feed pipe.

Now nice new problem. the car has no more drive after about 100 meters. then shut down the car and start it again after a minute then it engages again but only again for about 100m.

Can this be a damaged torque converter

• 9 months later...

tookk me long enough but i found parts from a donor trans and replaced the plates that was burnt. they were almost metal on metal. car is much better now.

I must say that mt trans is a mother to take out by yourself.

now after a few months there seems to be a new symptom, it locks in 3rd and then it releases then goes to 4th or thats how it feels when u drive.

might this be the stopping band adj. but this started a while later.

Archived