LegacyGT.com

Forester XT vs Fusion Titanium AWD

I'm thinking about getting a newer car this spring and have it narrowed down to a couple of different options. One of them is a Ford Fusion Titanium AWD and the other is a Forester XT. Both would be 2016+ models.

I love the looks of the Fusion and the ability to make some good power out of it. The Sync system is awesome and sounds really good (to me). I've heard they've stepped up their AWD system and it works well, however I'm concerned about reliability and more-so depreciation. I don't see these cars holding their value which is good(when I buy a used one) and bad(when I try to sell it 5 years from now).

I also really want to stay with the Subaru family of vehicles, but really don't care for the way the new lineup look. Additionally, they are about 2-3 years behind in the infotainment sector.(compared to the new Sync system)

Neither would stay completely stock for long. I just can leave well enough alone. I know what the 2.0 Fusion is capable of and it's appealing. I'm really not interested in a Fusion Sport for reasons I don't want to go into here. Simply not an option...

I've heard that the WRX parts fit the FXT and there is some good support for it. True?

I would enjoy anyone's opinions on the subject.

Thinking of going with a Forester XT. They seem a little more difficult to find, but I think it's going to be better in the long term. I'm finding that a lot of WRX parts fit it.

First thing would be to get an AP with a stage 1 pro-tune to get it off the factory tune immediately. Next I would add some suspension components to tighten up the suspension (swaybars?). After a few miles, I'd start to look at TMIC, charge pipe, DP, conservative Stage 2 tune, and some brake upgrades depending on how OEM feels.

I probably wouldn't go over stage 2 given the stories I've heard about elevated power levels on the CVT. Eventually, I'd consider some coil-overs to have ability to raise/lower it depending on use.

What about their AWD systems?

The Forester has the tried and true Symmetrical AWD. While it is a lot more electronic than mechanical. It is still very capable. X-Mode appears to be a very good add. Several videos I've seen show it doing some things that are surprising (in a good way) but not being too obtrusive in regular driving. Most of the power goes to the front wheels and transfers power to the rear as needed.

The Fusion has a similar system. It is predominately FWD and transfers power to rear as needed. It is a transverse mounted engine so it is susceptible to torque steer and that is noted in some of the fusion sport reviews. The AWD system (from what I can find) is loosely based on the Haldex AWD system. It has an electronically controlled center differential to activate the rear wheels when slip is detected. It is a very electronic system and also very capable. I've read some very good reviews about how it handles cornering and improves traction in the corners.

Both systems seem capable so it makes it a tough decision.

for the foreser XT, you could find a rear VLSD with the right gear ratio from an older subaru and put it in for more of a mechanical upgrade to the AWD system. they can be had for cheap.

Do you know of anyone who has done this? Any write ups? This interests me!

The Forester has the tried and true Symmetrical AWD. While it is a lot more electronic than mechanical. It is still very capable. X-Mode appears to be a very good add. Several videos I've seen show it doing some things that are surprising (in a good way) but not being too obtrusive in regular driving. Most of the power goes to the front wheels and transfers power to the rear as needed.

The Fusion has a similar system. It is predominately FWD and transfers power to rear as needed. It is a transverse mounted engine so it is susceptible to torque steer and that is noted in some of the fusion sport reviews. The AWD system (from what I can find) is loosely based on the Haldex AWD system. It has an electronically controlled center differential to activate the rear wheels when slip is detected. It is a very electronic system and also very capable. I've read some very good reviews about how it handles cornering and improves traction in the corners.

Both systems seem capable so it makes it a tough decision.

Thanks for the reply. Good insight!

I'm not sure how the auto/CVT AWDs in Subarus work these days (I have a manual 5th gen, so I guess I have viscous centre diff?). I figured the Ford would use an electronic centre, but what about the rear diff? Also, stuff like the uphill slip test (or getting stuck on wet grass), where almost all "AWD" crossovers fail but Subaru powers through is what concerns me (later down on track).

Oh and I'm not stranger to part time AWD, I have an R32 GT-R (ATTESA, centre diff clutch plates are pressurised by a computer to send torque to the front wheels), so not surprised about the Fusion's capabilities.

On the FXT, the center diff is electronically controlled. In normal state, it is a 90/10 split front and rear respectively. I can't find anything about the rear and assume that it is open and controlled via the traction control system. It will apply brakes to the wheel that is spinning and force the other one to spin. I believe the Fusion to be similar.

IMHO, what it comes down to is whose programming is better and what it allows the car to do.Theoretically, both should be capable of the uphill slip test if they are programmed similarly. Where I think some cars fail is that when the wheel starts to slip, the programming applies the brake to that wheel, but then decreases engine power to the point that the wheel with traction does not have enough torque to move the car forward or when it starts to move, it can't decide what's happening and starts to apply brakes to that one as well not allowing the car to move. I believe Subaru allows more wheel spin allowance which could help move the car forward.

Archived