LegacyGT.com

2017 3.6R exhaust and CAI

Hello All,

I am not the most mechanically savvy person, But i would like some advice about aftermarket mods for my 2017 legacy 3.6r. my first question is when searching for exhausts, cold air intakes is it correct in saying that if i search for either a 2015 or 2016 part that it will fit on a 2017 3.6R. i have a couple of shops that i have reached out to for axelback exhaust and the stated that they don't have any products that will fit my year and model. I have searched through most of the forum and i am a bit overwhelmed. I do appreciate all your support and knowledge. I even contacted AFE power for a cold air intake and they stated they dont have a model to fit my vehicle yet its listed as a plug and play mod.

thanks in advance for your input and i cant wait for all the negative responses about searching the forum, but i can handle it.

;):spin:

Hello All,

I am not the most mechanically savvy person, But i would like some advice about aftermarket mods for my 2017 legacy 3.6r. my first question is when searching for exhausts, cold air intakes is it correct in saying that if i search for either a 2015 or 2016 part that it will fit on a 2017 3.6R. i have a couple of shops that i have reached out to for axelback exhaust and the stated that they don't have any products that will fit my year and model. I have searched through most of the forum and i am a bit overwhelmed. I do appreciate all your support and knowledge. I even contacted AFE power for a cold air intake and they stated they dont have a model to fit my vehicle yet its listed as a plug and play mod.

thanks in advance for your input and i cant wait for all the negative responses about searching the forum, but i can handle it.

;):spin:

Intake

Takeda Cold Air- TR-4304P. Says 2011-2014 I believe but it is a direct fit in the 3.6R. http://afepower.com/afe-power-tr-4304p-takeda-stage-2-pro-dry-s-cold-air-intake-system

Exhaust

Nameless performance- Link below. Also says 2011-2014 but if im not mistaken, this is also a direct fit. https://shop.namelessperformance.com/2010-2014-legacy-gt-3-6r-axleback-exhaust/

There are a few mor options but these seem to be the most common. SSD peformance makes an intake as well but it specifies "2.5i only". Not sure what the difference is but the layout looks identical so it would most likely work. Not sure if anyone with a 3.6R has tried it. View the "Aftermarket Mods and Accessories" Sticky thread for more info.

@BeastCoast1

Thought I read on the forum that someone spoke to one of the people from AFE and they claimed that it wouldn't fit the 2017 (not sure if it was in regard to 2.5 or 3.6) and thought that something changed after 2016. Did anyone ever confirm if the person from AFE was mistaken or only stating that the hose was too short or something that could be simply fixed?

Thought I read on the forum that someone spoke to one of the people from AFE and they claimed that it wouldn't fit the 2017 (not sure if it was in regard to 2.5 or 3.6) and thought that something changed after 2016. Did anyone ever confirm if the person from AFE was mistaken or only stating that the hose was too short or something that could be simply fixed?

I know on my 2016 2.5i the crankcase breather was about 2-3" too short but that was it. Everything else was a direct fit.

@BeastCoast1

thanks for the quick replies, the email I received from AFE was that they didn't have a compatible part yet for the 2017. Were there many changes from 2015 to 2017 in the 3.6 model?

Post a picture of your engine bay from above without the cover. It's pretty easy to tell if it will fit. The most you may have to do is buy a small 3" section of hose and a coupler to extend the crankcase breather or just buy a whole new hose. Other than that it should fit like a glove.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@BeastCoast1

AFE has been some kinda special....

I reached out to them almost 6 months ago about getting a group buy together twice and never got a call back from the person I was referred to nor a reply email.

Then I called back a few months ago again and never received a response...

Last time I talked with them they had no official kits from our car but that just means they didn't dyno test the current kits with our car (15-17) which WILL fit.

• 2 weeks later...
Post a picture of your engine bay from above without the cover. It's pretty easy to tell if it will fit. The most you may have to do is buy a small 3" section of hose and a coupler to extend the crankcase breather or just buy a whole new hose. Other than that it should fit like a glove.

Where did you buy your crankcase breather hose/coupler to make the Takeda CAI fit? I am unfamiliar with this part, so I am not sure if Subaru has its own specific one or if you can just use any rubber hose that fits? I'd like to buy this intake but I want to make sure I can get this hose issue down first!

Edited by Milkywitness

Where did you buy your crankcase breather hose/coupler to make the Takeda CAI fit? I am unfamiliar with this part, so I am not sure if Subaru has its own specific one or if you can just use any rubber hose that fits? I'd like to buy this intake but I want to make sure I can get this hose issue down first!

I just picked up a piece at a local auto part store with the coupler. This is what it looks like. Attaches to the intake piping a few inches away from the throttle body on the underside. My hose is fully seated on the coupler now and clamped to the intake, the picture was just for informative purposes. a0b41b95b21460369955e1650f319d0d.jpg

And this is it connected with the stock intake

498f762c11d3338f57b1221e8d1324b4.jpg

@BeastCoast1

Here it is on amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000CO7AGG/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

So Im not trying to be a jerk, but Im really curious. If your intent was to modify the car for performance, why did you buy a Legacy vice a WRX? The CVT equipped Legacy is a slug, even in H6 trim, it is a 15 second car. Why waste hundreds or thousands of dollars for a negligible gain in power?

So Im not trying to be a jerk, but Im really curious. If your intent was to modify the car for performance, why did you buy a Legacy vice a WRX? The CVT equipped Legacy is a slug, even in H6 trim, it is a 15 second car. Why waste hundreds or thousands of dollars for a negligible gain in power?

I have a 4 year old handicapped child. I opted for the room of he Legacy over the WRX/STi. I put the intake in for a potential improvement in fuel economy. Never expected performance gains. Also with a handicapped child I assume you can imagine the cost associated with such so I opted for the $23,000 MSRP base model Legacy as opposed to the $28,000+ WRX/STi. Now I hope your question has been answered if it was in fact a legitimate question and not just an attempt to stir up shit for no reason.

@BeastCoast1

I have a 4 year old handicapped child. I opted for the room of he Legacy over the WRX/STi. I put the intake in for a potential improvement in fuel economy. Never expected performance gains. Also with a handicapped child I assume you can imagine the cost associated with such so I opted for the $23,000 MSRP base model Legacy as opposed to the $28,000+ WRX/STi. Now I hope your question has been answered if it was in fact a legitimate question and not just an attempt to stir up shit for no reason.

My question was to the OP who apparently has a 3.6. Although, I see your point, and agree totally with your need for space I doubt that you will see enough of an improvement in fuel efficiency to make up for the cost of the 'intake'.

Best of luck to you and your family. I hope your Legacy gives you many years of enjoyable and trouble free service.

I like the look and size of the legacy better, its not an issue of money or horse power, its more to see what if any gains could be made with some simple mods. I think that's why we are all here, to see how we can improve or customize our ride. This car is my daily driver, I can sit anywhere from 1.5 hours to > 3 hours of traffic in a day. So I liked the auto transmission and comfort of the seats better. My 2 kids fit in back comfortably. And it looks like a nice sedan, get a little more umph without looking like a sports car. And my colleagues and clients like the comfort of the ride, and it looks professional, so the bosses are happy, including my wife.

I like the look and size of the legacy better, its not an issue of money or horse power, its more to see what if any gains could be made with some simple mods. I think that's why we are all here, to see how we can improve or customize our ride. This car is my daily driver, I can sit anywhere from 1.5 hours to > 3 hours of traffic in a day. So I liked the auto transmission and comfort of the seats better. My 2 kids fit in back comfortably. And it looks like a nice sedan, get a little more umph without looking like a sports car. And my colleagues and clients like the comfort of the ride, and it looks professional, so the bosses are happy, including my wife.

So since you 'asked for advice' in your OP, let me give you some: Save your money. The Legacy is not a car that companies make performance parts for. Even if you can Frankenstein a cold air set-up on this car, the performance increase would be so negligible that the slothful CVT would completely prevent it from being noticed. You are asking the equivalent of how to make a dress loafer into a running shoe. It wasnt designed as such and you wont succeed in re purposing it.

Get yourself a tune and if you're really keen Raptor do a set of headers -http://raptorsc.com.au/subaru/subaru-libertylegacyoutback-6gen-headers/.

These 2 mods will give you the maximum performance gain - unless you bolt on a supercharger kit (raptor do one of these too - http://raptorsc.com.au/subaru/subaru-libertylegacy-5gen-3-6r-supercharger-kit/).

The exhaust and intake are for noise really and don't make your car much faster in any measurable way.

The exhaust and intake are for noise really and don't make your car much faster in any measurable way.

Quoted for truth.

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

• 3 years later...
So since you 'asked for advice' in your OP, let me give you some: Save your money. The Legacy is not a car that companies make performance parts for. Even if you can Frankenstein a cold air set-up on this car, the performance increase would be so negligible that the slothful CVT would completely prevent it from being noticed. You are asking the equivalent of how to make a dress loafer into a running shoe. It wasnt designed as such and you wont succeed in re purposing it.

My 3.6r rips and is a much better family option than the WRX. The only non-race car, other than a WRX, that I've had a problem toasting is a Tesla but I caught him after about a mile and blew by him like he was standing still. At 140MPH it's glued to the road. Can't even notice the CVT so not sure if you're biased against them or just never had one. We're not trying to make race cars we're just looking to squeeze a little more out of it.