LegacyGT.com

Check engine light and cruise control flashing

Hey everyone, brand new to the forums but thought I would see if anyone could help me out with this.

I have an 06' legacy Spec B and a few days ago the check engine light came on and the cruise control dashboard lights flashes. I can't use the cruise control and my mpg dropped from around 24 to 14.

I am going to be driving from Denver to SLC in the next week or so and would like to figure this out so I don't burn a bunch of extra gas and potentially cause some extra problems, has anyone had a similar issue?

this could be 1000 things. You need to determine what is causing the CEL and address the issue. I wouldn't drive much till you do that.

Go to an auto parts store and have them pull the code then post the code here and search for a solution.

• I Donated Too

Autozone/Advance/and all the others all will read your codes for free with their cheap reader.

As others have said this could be anything... let us know the codes, mileage, mods, state of the car and if you just bought it 10 mins ago but it was such a bargain with a brand new turbo and this light came on as you were driving it home...

So I got a code reader a few days ago and it pulled the codes P1153 and P0131, and the second one said the 02 sensor circuit was low.

Is there anything I can do in my garage to try and fix this or does this sound like something I need a mechanic to do?

Also thanks for everyone's replies, I appreciate the help!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yes, replace the front O2 sensor. Find the one we recommend in here, http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/idea-web-links-saved-various-parts-219238.html

Its easy to replace as long as you know what your doing.

There may be a DIY here, http://legacygt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php/walkthroughs-basic-operation-maintenance-36.html

or on you tube.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

:lol::lol::lol: this is a funny quote :lol::lol::lol:

After you been on that rodeo a few times, the O2's are a piece of cake.

PB Blaster and anti-seize compound are your best friends.

I use a screw type hose clamp around the O2 socket so it doesn't spread.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

This technique makes pulling the front O2 sensor pretty easy.

There are several different tools available to pull O2 sensors - I'd suggest the TEKTON 47749 Offset Oxygen Sensor Socket or similar. The offset style socket is stronger than the other style and won't bend as easily. Fairly cheap at about $10. Easiest access I found was to remove the front passenger wheel and go in through the wheel well. There is an access panel that will let you get to the O2 sensor location with a 3/8" extension and a short breaker bar. Wobble extensions work well if you have them. Use Kroil or similar penetrating oil liberally, and apply it several hours before you do this job.

It appears that I may have a similar problem. My car is an '05 Legacy 2.5 GT Ltd 5EAT Wagon with 125,000 miles and no mods.

Last week my Cruise Control light came on despite the Cruise Control being off and started flashing. Car was running fine with the flashing light. Once I cycled the ignition the light went off.

A couple of days later, same circumstances, it did it again. Once again cycled the ignition and light was off.

Tonight while using the Cruise Control the Check Engine light came on and the Cruise Control disengaged and the Cruise light started flashing. Cycling the ignition had no effect on the lights. Car feels like it is running fine.

I found the following in another thread about this problem. Emphasis added by me.

As others have said reading the codes is the first thing to do. Until then you may want to check the oil level. If it gets low the check engine light will illuminate and the cruise control light will flash.

This is the first I've ever heard about a low oil level triggering dash lights before the oil pressure drops enough to trigger the oil pressure light. Is anyone else familiar with this?

It appears that I may have a similar problem. My car is an '05 Legacy 2.5 GT Ltd 5EAT Wagon with 125,000 miles and no mods...
With all due respect, you are going about this kind of backwards. :)

First off, these cars tend to use more oil as they get more miles on them. You should be checking the oil level frequently, like every fuel stop, and top it off it it is low. If you wait until you see the oil pressure light come on, you have waited too long already and the engine could be seriously damaged. So, you should never wait for any lights, you should know your oil is good at all times.

Next, the car uses the flashing cruise control light to get your attention. It means, "If you try to use cruise control, the car will refuse because a problem has been detected that needs to be addressed." There are dozens of different issues that might cause the cruise light to flash with the check engine light (CEL) a.k.a. malfunction indicator light (MIL). Some of them could be related to oil level.

The check engine light means the car has some useful information stored about a problem that was detected. It's a good idea to find out what that information is ASAP. It is a bad idea to decide the car feels fine, maybe this light will go away if the engine gets cycled a few times. The car is telling you something before you can feel it. You should listen to what it is trying to tell you, especially as the car gets more age and miles, it is going to start talking to you a lot more. ;)

I'm afraid that you misunderstood my post. I'm quite familiar with why a "Check Engine" light might come on. Anything that adversely effects emissions will trigger it.

But the comment I quoted from another thread that the combination of the "Check Engine" & "Cruise" Lights can be a low oil level warning was not something I had ever heard of before. My experience is you have to check the dipstick to find out if your oil level is low. The actual "Oil" warning light only comes on when the oil pressure has fallen below a critical level. Which means if you have been monitoring your dipstick regularly that something has failed causing either a sudden loss of oil or a blockage in the oil passages.

None of my previous vehicles would have both lights come on as a warning. Usually the "Check Engine" light works independently of other indicator warning lights. So I find the flashing "Cruise" light a bit bizarre.

The code I'm getting for my "Check Engine" light is P0420 Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold Bank 1. Which seems to be an indicator that it is time to replace the Catalytic Converter. I always use Top Tier fuel in my Legacy.

Is there anything else that could cause the P0420 code?

Could the flashing "Cruise" light be a completely separate issue from the "Check Engine" light?

If so, any suggestions on how to trouble shoot the cause of the flashing "Cruise" light?

P0420 seems to be a very common code on Subarus and is not always caused by a bad catalytic converter. It can be difficult to diagnose.

What is happening, as I understand it, is the ECM is comparing the front and rear O2 sensor outputs to look for a particular pattern that means the cat is healthy. However, some conditions can throw off the pattern that are not directly caused by the converter. For example, an exhaust leak or sensor going bad.

The flashing cruise control light is indicating your cruise is disabled by the ECM. It is just something programmed in for some of the DTCs, as I understand it.

The flashing cruise control light is also used to indicate there is a problem with cruise control components so I think that can be a point of confusion.

In regard to oil level, the only DTCs I know of that could relate at all to oil level are for the AVCS (intake valve control system).

But the comment I quoted from another thread that the combination of the "Check Engine" & "Cruise" Lights can be a low oil level warning was not something I had ever heard of before. My experience is you have to check the dipstick to find out if your oil level is low. The actual "Oil" warning light only comes on when the oil pressure has fallen below a critical level. Which means if you have been monitoring your dipstick regularly that something has failed causing either a sudden loss of oil or a blockage in the oil passages.

Here is the thread I started which lead to the advice you quoted:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/another-p0021-code-251225.html

Post #12 in that thread is where I provided the information about low oil illuminating the check engine light. As a follow up on this since oil was added (and regularly checked) the CEL hasn't illuminated and there have been no issues with the car. So I'm fairly confident the low oil was the cause for my CEL issue.

Post #12 in that thread is where I provided the information about low oil illuminating the check engine light.

Looks like the issue sunny5280 had involved DTC P0021 which is one of the codes related to the AVCS as I was mentioning earlier.

MikeAldea has the P0420 code which is a different situation.

Archived