LegacyGT.com

Strange problem

Hi everyone. I have an 06 GT Limited 5 speed that I've owned since 2007. It's been a pretty great car except for a turbo replacement.... thanks to screens in banjo bolts.... thanks Subaru.

In the last few days I've noticed something very very strange. When I'm driving in any gear and at about 2500-3000 rpm, and accelerate, once it hits over 3000 rpm, the car takes off like it's got 500hp. The tach goes up rapidly, almost like it would with a slipping clutch, which I'm familiar with from other cars. But this is different, it's not slipping.... the car is accelerating at a rate consistent with the RPM increase...

Does anyone have any clue what's going on? I know there's a similar screen in the AVCS, but would that cause this?

I'm thinking a boost signal hose popped off, check your vacuum hoses for one that is disconnected.

boost leak test may help

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Overboosting. Wastegate actuator could have failed or look as suggested for one of the vacuum hoses to have fallen off. Do NOT drive it hard in boost like that if you want the car to live much longer.

Buy a cheap boost gauge and plug it into the by pass valve actuator hose and check the boost. I think you're probably up in the 25-30 psi of boost range when it should be down in 16-18.

Boost was the other option that I had thought of. A boost gauge on the car would have been a great thing to have from the factory. I'll bring it to a friend's garage ASAP, and it'll get figured out.

Thanks for the input everyone.

Sounds like overboosting. Very dangerous to health of engine, get it looked at right away by somebody good. Maybe a stuck wastegate or boost controller - how long you had that turbo?

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

This turbo is only a couple years old. The old one failed because of the banjo bolt screen...

FWIW, I don't have a boost gauge, never seen the need for it.

You need to do a boost leak test and see which hose is off.

We zip tie all the hoses to keep them from falling off.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

FWIW, I don't have a boost gauge, never seen the need for it.

You need to do a boost leak test and see which hose is off.

We zip tie all the hoses to keep them from falling off.

I'm a marine engineer, work with big diesels and gas turbines. It's in my nature to want to know all the parameters :)

• 1 year later...

REsolution to this problem:

THere was a coil that was malfunctioning, and the car was running poorly at low RPMs. Once I got into the higher RPMs it worked much better, generated lots more power, and overpowered the clutch, which was nearing the end of it's life....Both coil and clutch are changed, and it's working fine.

Archived