LegacyGT.com

2015 Legacy brakes

I need to change my front brake pads. Any one have recommendations on brand, type of bakes. Should i just stick with oem? I see there is a brake kit that subaru sales, is it necessary to get kit?

Also anyone have or have a link to a 2015 legacy service manual?

Sorry for all the questions this is my fist subaru.

Buying the kit will probably save you the time and mess of cleaning up all the clips and hardware. I ve had my 15 apart at 30K and they still looked new, but I cleaned everything up and put back together. It s straight forward stuff. I would probably just stick with the OEM pads as you know what to expect as far as feel, noise etc...

Buying the kit will probably save you the time and mess of cleaning up all the clips and hardware. I ve had my 15 apart at 30K and they still looked new, but I cleaned everything up and put back together. It s straight forward stuff. I would probably just stick with the OEM pads as you know what to expect as far as feel, noise etc...

So you took them apart and cleaned them, what did you clean and how?

other thank spraying the rotors with cleaner how else do you clean the brakes? Mine are squeaking, I am not 100% sure i am in need of them. i have 41K miles on my 2015 legacy.

Thanks for the response.

I took calipers off, pad outs, then took off two clips/slides that hold pads in place. Wire brush and brake cleaner spray until they are shinny aluminum color again. Put everything back and lubed slid pins (make sure they move freely) and lubed ears of brake pads in the clip area....

I changed the fluid too but thats another thing I just did because I had wheels off.

FYI, pretty good vid above.... those clips he cleaned come off BTW.

Are you located near upstate NY?

They have wear warnings on them so they will squeal loudly when worn. Don t let them go too far after that or you ll ruin the rotors... At 41K I d say you MAY need pads if you drive lots of stop and go. I usually get over 80K on my Subis but I am excessive highway driving. Traded in a 14 with 50K and brakes were still very good FYI.

Just to share, there are some other really great YouTube videos to really understand brake systems if you are planning on working on your car. Eric O at South Main Auto is the freaking man. Three videos he's done below on the topic that are super detailed when you have time:

why type of silicon lube are you guys using for your caliper pins?

what does Subaru recommend?

The pins are in rubber boots and as long as they slid in and out I d just leave them alone with only 41K...

So you would only need the tinyest tube of brake grease... Don t think what you use matters much, I usually just grab what the parts store has when I m getting pads.

High heat brake lube.

What is the torque specs for the caliper pins?

Does anyone have a service manual in pdf they can share?

I agree Eric the car guy is awesome, i've watched his videos and have helped me.

Thanks every one for the reply.

Just my 2 cents but I ve been wrenching for 40 years and never worried about torque for those bolts... Just tighten them down good, you won t break one.

There is a spec, too lazy to look, sorry. It is approximately 25lb ft, but I don't bother with those torque specs.

I wouldn't lubricate slide pins with anything other than silicone. Brake grease degrades rubber and will cause the boots to swell. There are plenty of products for the slide pins, including sylglide that you can often find in the store. I would lubricate the pins every 30k miles when you service the brakes. Clean off the old stuff first.

My brakes where squeaking pretty bad so yesterday i took the front tires off and noticed there was no brake grease on the back of the pads so cleaned them good and grease them up. My brakes still had plent of life left. No more squeaking.

So this makes me think that the rear brakes might need to checking and grease. Are the rear brakes similar to the front ones for a 2015 legacy as far as taking them off and putting them back?

My brakes where squeaking pretty bad so yesterday i took the front tires off and noticed there was no brake grease on the back of the pads so cleaned them good and grease them up. My brakes still had plent of life left. No more squeaking.

So this makes me think that the rear brakes might need to checking and grease. Are the rear brakes similar to the front ones for a 2015 legacy as far as taking them off and putting them back?

No, rears are different. Do a search, it has been discussed. Also when replacing pads there is a special tool to compress the rear calipers as they screw in and out. If you are putting same pads back you should be OK. Also you will see CAUTIONS about unplugging electronic E brake. Some even dis connect battery. I doubt the backs are making any noise anyway.

As far as the fronts, hope you kept the backing plates on the rear of the pads. I tried to delete them once and brakes made all kinds of grinding etc noises.

Thanks for the link but doesnt really give alot of detail, just explains what to do. I know how to changes front brakes but it seems as the rear are different. I like service manual pages becuase it points out what is what. I guess i like to have alot of detail.

I would very gratefully if some can post or pm a link to the brake service manual pages.

The other post covers everything in the service manual outside of torque specs. 19 on caliper pins, 88 on bracket bolts. The FSM also only has diagrams as opposed to the actual pics. If there isn't enough info on that post for you, you may want to reconsider doing the job.

Archived