LegacyGT.com

Adding heated mirrors to Base 2017 2.5i

Nice. I like where your head is at. That's pretty much my plan. I'm now mostly curious as to whose done this and how easy/hard was it. There could very well be cables already running through. Sometimes they make some of the harnesses with all the connections and then remove cables before they reach the components... some times...

kinda hoping this is one of those times.

This is for the OB not the Legacy ...

Mea culpa, but at this point I think you're just looking for someone to blame. Legacy: http://www.subaru.com/vehicles/legacy/models.html/LEG-compare-wrapper-modal It's there in black and white.

If heated side mirrors are that important to you, they certainly can be added to your base trim Legacy. But if you're not willing to put in some effort yourself, I'm not willing to provide further assistance.

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

Option packages are how cars are sold these days. This isn't the 60s where you check a box for every individual option and get the car built exactly how you wanted it. Car buyers tend not to care about every specific little option any more. They tend to buy at the price point they can afford and think brings the value they need in a car and the manufacturers make more money by rolling packages together and upselling folks on things they don't care about by packaging them with things they do. They were absolutely hoping to sell you the upgraded package with the heated mirrors along with the options you didn't care about. In this case, it didn't work out for them and it didn't really work out for you either cause they didn't make the upsale and you're not happy with what you got. It is cheaper for them to put the cheaper harness in a car that doesn't use some options available so they do it. If it was cheaper for them to just put the same harness in every car, then they would do that. Sounds like in this case, that's not how it went.

Truth is, you're not all that different from the rest of us who are modifying our cars. You got the car a certain way and you want it to be a certain different way. I think the problem you're running into with this thread is your incredulity about the situation.

This is the way car buying works in 2016/2017 and has worked that way for at least 30 years. Does the model serve everybody's needs equally? No. But it sure does serve the manufacturers needs in terms of efficiency and ease of building cars. And since it's good enough for most car buyers and it's good enough for the manufacturers to make enough money ... that's the way they do it.

But if there's any group of folks that understand the desire to change something about a car in order to fit our needs better, it's us. It can always be done. It's just a matter of time and money. Of course if the expense is too high, one might not do it, but that's a cost/benefit analysis, just like you made when you bought the car.

But the manufacturer really has no interest in making it easy for you. They wanted to sell you that option with a bunch of other stuff you didn't care about. And if they don't sell it to you, there's still 10 other suckers willing to line up and buy it that way ... so they don't care too badly about your personal needs.

Sorry I don't know the technical answer to your question. Is there some sort of aftermarket heated mirror system that you can get where you can just splice into power somewhere and then add your own switch. That might be a path to get you where you want to go. Good luck and welcome to LGT.com!

And one more thing that I think might not be clear to some folks in this thread ... the sales weasels at the car dealership don't know shit about the technical details of the car. Like at all. I promise that 30 minutes of reading on the Internet will make you more of an expert on how a car works than the idiot selling it to you. Days of informed and knowledgeable salesmen are long gone. Fortunately, the Internet will get you there, but it requires a bit more investment of effort than it use to. Whatever they tell you cannot be trusted unless it can be confirmed on the Internet somewhere. Hell, the service manager barely knows anything about these cars. And here's a detail that's gonna be really scary for you. There are plenty of armchair mechanics on this website that actually know more about these cars than the idiot newbie tech that's actually working on your car when you bring it in for service. Car dealerships suck ass. Buy your car from those idiots because you have to and get your warranty work done there because you have to. Then go find yourself a trustworthy, quality independent auto mechanic to actually work on your car. If you live near Boston, I can tell you where to go. ;)

Also, base models only show the rear window on the defrost button.

http://www.cars101.com/subaru/legacy/outback15-climate-control2.jpg

Whereas other trims also picture the mirrors.

http://www.cars101.com/subaru/legacy/outback15-climate-control1.jpg

Interesting... so, how hard do you think it would be to add a button to that small panel that's above the fuse box by the steering wheel? I mean, i wouldn't think it'd be too difficult

I remember when ripping apart my dash to add a red light in the center "cubby" that the silver climate control section is independent from the rest of the console. Maybe if you had the proper wiring you could swap out that section for the one on the premium model and use the actual designated button. I have no experience whatsoever with wiring/electric shit in vehicles but its Just a thought. of course if you did this the heated seats, auto, and dual climate control function on the unit wouldn't be functional but you would haev the heated mirrors you desire.

@BeastCoast1

Maybe if you had the proper wiring you could swap out that section for the one on the premium model and use the actual designated button.

Wouldn't work. Power to the heating elements is provided through a relay, not directly from the console switch.

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

Wouldn't work. Power to the heating elements is provided through a relay, not directly from the console switch.

SO if I was to just wire up the two side view mirrors directly to the fuse panel, to a fuse and to an on/off switch, it still wouldn't work? I'm talking about a completely different circuit from the rear window heater.

Mea culpa, but at this point I think you're just looking for someone to blame. Legacy: http://www.subaru.com/vehicles/legacy/models.html/LEG-compare-wrapper-modal It's there in black and white.

If heated side mirrors are that important to you, they certainly can be added to your base trim Legacy. But if you're not willing to put in some effort yourself, I'm not willing to provide further assistance.

I'm pretty sure I admitted to making a mistake in not acknowledging that the website did mention a lack of heated side view mirrors with the base trim package. And if this doesn't qualify as effort, I don't know what else you're expecting from me. I'm going to do this wiring job myself regardless. I'm just trying to see if anyone else has done this already and if so, how did they do it. I'm trying to get as much information on this from anyone who has had the experience of doing this before me. Your assistance is appreciated, but not necessary. Thank you.

As it stands I'm appreciating all of the information that everyone has provided so far. Very good stuff!

Option packages are how cars are sold these days. This isn't the 60s where you check a box for every individual option and get the car built exactly how you wanted it. Car buyers tend not to care about every specific little option any more. They tend to buy at the price point they can afford and think brings the value they need in a car and the manufacturers make more money by rolling packages together and upselling folks on things they don't care about by packaging them with things they do. They were absolutely hoping to sell you the upgraded package with the heated mirrors along with the options you didn't care about. In this case, it didn't work out for them and it didn't really work out for you either cause they didn't make the upsale and you're not happy with what you got. It is cheaper for them to put the cheaper harness in a car that doesn't use some options available so they do it. If it was cheaper for them to just put the same harness in every car, then they would do that. Sounds like in this case, that's not how it went.

Truth is, you're not all that different from the rest of us who are modifying our cars. You got the car a certain way and you want it to be a certain different way. I think the problem you're running into with this thread is your incredulity about the situation.

This is the way car buying works in 2016/2017 and has worked that way for at least 30 years. Does the model serve everybody's needs equally? No. But it sure does serve the manufacturers needs in terms of efficiency and ease of building cars. And since it's good enough for most car buyers and it's good enough for the manufacturers to make enough money ... that's the way they do it.

But if there's any group of folks that understand the desire to change something about a car in order to fit our needs better, it's us. It can always be done. It's just a matter of time and money. Of course if the expense is too high, one might not do it, but that's a cost/benefit analysis, just like you made when you bought the car.

But the manufacturer really has no interest in making it easy for you. They wanted to sell you that option with a bunch of other stuff you didn't care about. And if they don't sell it to you, there's still 10 other suckers willing to line up and buy it that way ... so they don't care too badly about your personal needs.

Sorry I don't know the technical answer to your question. Is there some sort of aftermarket heated mirror system that you can get where you can just splice into power somewhere and then add your own switch. That might be a path to get you where you want to go. Good luck and welcome to LGT.com!

Yea, the fuckery is real, but like you said, after weighing out the pros and cons, I'm still satisfied with what I have. After figuring out this mirror situation, I hope the car will be exactly as I care for it to be. This stupid heated mirrors situation is really the only thing that's really bothered me, and hopefully by the end of this thread I'll have a simple solution to look forward to.

I remember when ripping apart my dash to add a red light in the center "cubby" that the silver climate control section is independent from the rest of the console. Maybe if you had the proper wiring you could swap out that section for the one on the premium model and use the actual designated button. I have no experience whatsoever with wiring/electric shit in vehicles but its Just a thought. of course if you did this the heated seats, auto, and dual climate control function on the unit wouldn't be functional but you would haev the heated mirrors you desire.

I'd like to think I'm a pretty proficient electrician, so the concept of how this would work isn't hard to comprehend. The main reason I'm even asking is because I'm not a big fan of how high tech everything is nowadays. So naturally, I'm concerned with avoiding any potential damage done to sensitive electronics. Back in the day, hardwiring new components came with very little risk/concern. Nowadays, I'm not to sure, and being that it's a brand new car, taking precautions and asking around for advice is always a good thing

Nice. I like where your head is at. That's pretty much my plan. I'm now mostly curious as to whose done this and how easy/hard was it. There could very well be cables already running through. Sometimes they make some of the harnesses with all the connections and then remove cables before they reach the components... some times...

kinda hoping this is one of those times.

Easiest way to check for the presence of wiring is pop the mirror glass off.

Center it and tilt all the way up. Then reach your fingers behind the glass and pull straight out from the bottom. Then look behind and take note of how the top attaches; it's a matter of pulling straight down to disconnect it. If there's wires attached to the glass you're in luck.

Since there are so many nit picky negative threads in the 6th Gen section, and this topic really isn't a negative, just something that was overlooked, I'm going to change the thread title to reflect the true topic, which is rectifying this situation. Hopefully someone will be able to find it useful later.

Cheers!

... I'm concerned with avoiding any potential damage done to sensitive electronics.

The place to begin is to study the wiring diagrams in the Factory Service Manual until you fully understand them. They will show you the way.

spacer.png

• 2 weeks later...

Geez, you guys are rough on OP. There's nothing wrong with wanting to add one specific feature from a higher trim package. No need to give him a hard time.

Here's a thread I created for adding dimming mirrors. This'll show you how to remove your mirrors to see if any wiring happens to be there.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/diy-dimming-mirror-install-6th-gen-256875.html

If not, it's just two wires that need to be ran, and the appropriate mirrors purchased which won't be too difficult.

EDIT: Also judging by the gauge of the heating wires attached to my mirrors, they don't draw much power at all. An add-a-circuit should be more than capable to power them.

If not, it's just two wires that need to be ran, and the appropriate mirrors purchased which won't be too difficult.

EDIT: Also judging by the gauge of the heating wires attached to my mirrors, they don't draw much power at all. An add-a-circuit should be more than capable to power them.

Sweet. I was hoping someone would mention this. I was wondering if the gauge of the wires to the heating element are the same as that of the other cables going to the light? And, unless they made a mistake with my car, the side view mirrors that came with my car already seem to have the heating element in place. So all I need to do is wire them up and I should be good to go

• 1 year later...
Also, base models only show the rear window on the defrost button.

http://www.cars101.com/subaru/legacy/outback15-climate-control2.jpg

Whereas other trims also picture the mirrors.

http://www.cars101.com/subaru/legacy/outback15-climate-control1.jpg

i switched swap the base ac controls to the dual auto control unit. it powered up aka the power wire but no air came out. keep in mind i have a 15 legacy base.

Since the rear window and mirror heating is on the same button it doesn't really matter for the mirrors.

Funny to see that what's Base in the EU is having the dual control including heated seats and mirrors.

453747.png

Archived