LegacyGT.com

will they ever make a new legacy GT

dsizer89

Here I was thinking the question was whether they would bring back the GT version of the Legacy - i.e., a sporty version of the Subaru family sedan - the Legacy... All cars have been getting bigger - Subaru is not alone in making the Impreza larger - look at the Corolla and Civic as a comparison - then compare those to older generation Camry's and Accords - the current version of their "compact" car is about as roomy as older versions of their family sedan.

There aren't many family sedans that offer a "sport" version - the ford Fusion does (the Sport version - has a 2.7L ecoboost engine and is even AWD) but Mazda does not, nor does Honda or Toyota (though both offer a 6cyl variant, similar to Subaru). The Taurus is a large sedan, so not sure that's something people cross-shop with the Legacy, Accord, Camry, or Mazda 6.

If the current WRX is big enough inside to meet your needs, that's great, but it's not now, nor will it ever be, a Legacy GT.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I remember the commercials for the Legacy gt in 2010 that showed a middle aged family man driving a sporty-ish car. Nothing in that commercial is boy racerish like the WRX. I don't see how anyone can realistically claim the WRX fills that void. Especially when subaru has continued the Fxt line. So it isn't like the powertrain isn't available.

I hope the levorg will come soon... even infiniti is doing 4cyl turbo AWD wagon! http://www.infinitiusa.com/crossover/qx30

That'a not a wagon. That's an SUV. A wagon is a sedan with an enclosed trunk. Your post pretty much proves Subaru made the right choice in killing the "wagon".

As for a sport wagon, there were LGT wagons on the lots in June 2006. 5mt wagons were harder to sell after the initial group of enthusiasts had bought theirs.

I, along with others, special ordered my wagon. If Subaru or any other company made a sport wagon with turbo & MT for less than 50k, I'd probably buy it. If I wanted to spend >60k on a sport wagon (Cadillac), I'd give up and buy a truck & a sports car.

Audi/BMW/Mercedes all made limited run/had to know someone MT sport wagons. If Subaru suddenly announced the Levorg was coming to the USA with a STI motor and sport suspension, they'd sell a few. The rest would languish on dealer lots until they trickled out. The price would be the same or higher than an STi, ensuring only ppl that wanted one would buy one (the 05 lgt wagon was nearly the same price as an 04 Sti - if the ride in the Sti had not been so bad as a commuter car...). Also ensuring they sold very few of them.

That'a not a wagon. That's an SUV. A wagon is a sedan with an enclosed trunk. Your post pretty much proves Subaru made the right choice in killing the "wagon".

As for a sport wagon, there were LGT wagons on the lots in June 2006. 5mt wagons were harder to sell after the initial group of enthusiasts had bought theirs.

I, along with others, special ordered my wagon. If Subaru or any other company made a sport wagon with turbo & MT for less than 50k, I'd probably buy it. If I wanted to spend >60k on a sport wagon (Cadillac), I'd give up and buy a truck & a sports car.

Audi/BMW/Mercedes all made limited run/had to know someone MT sport wagons. If Subaru suddenly announced the Levorg was coming to the USA with a STI motor and sport suspension, they'd sell a few. The rest would languish on dealer lots until they trickled out. The price would be the same or higher than an STi, ensuring only ppl that wanted one would buy one (the 05 lgt wagon was nearly the same price as an 04 Sti - if the ride in the Sti had not been so bad as a commuter car...). Also ensuring they sold very few of them.

This is funny, since it's exactly my own experience in 2012. I had to special order my LGT, and I only considered it because that year's STI would have been a terrible commuter and family car. The first car we looked at was the STI and my wife, who actually grew up around sport cars, vetoed it strictly because the seats were uncomfortable (she was 6 months pregnant) and the suspension would have undoubtedly not helped at all.

You might get lucky with the next Buick Regal. I wouldn't hold my breath for a manual though, but at least it won't be a CVT.

And despite that ad, they didn't sell for shit. No demand = dead product offering.

The MT-only option is what really killed the LGT - dealers were reluctant to order them as they would sit on the lot. Not a whole lot of family sedan buyers like to row through the gears - no buyers = dead product. If family sedan buyers want a legacy with an automatic and some power, there is the 3.6R with the (at the time) 5eat in it. For the family sedan market, the GT with a CVT or 5eat in it is sort of a redundant product if they also offer the 3.6R.

I'd be curious to see how many 4th gen Legacy GTs were sold with the 5mt, particularly in the 08 and 09 model years... the Legacy wagon was gone in 08, so killed during the 4th gen. I think the market in this country for a LGT wagon is very limited... particularly with an MT. Maybe Subaru will dump the 6 in favor of a turbo 4, but it doesn't seem that's the way they are going.

It's the same approach taken by Honda and Toyota - offer a 6 with an automatic, and call it good. (Honda actually offers the 6 with a 6mt, though... not sure how common they are on dealer lots)

GM's Opel platforms have been a mainstay in their global architectures, underpinning a number of U.S. models. Like the looks of that Opel (Buick) wagon, but wouldn't entertain it because of the transverse drive system, and (likely) lack of MT option in the U.S..
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

GM's Opel platforms have been a mainstay in their global architectures, underpinning a number of U.S. models. Like the looks of that Opel (Buick) wagon, but wouldn't entertain it because of the transverse drive system, and (likely) lack of MT option in the U.S..

5 - 10 years ago, you were probably right, but reactive AWD has gotten substantially better in that time.

I look at the Golf R and Focus RS. Both transversely mounted engines and both are arguably better than the STi.

And both still have torque steer to varying degrees. Saab, and Audi, before the advent of TMEs, and Subaru are the only production models, that I'm aware of, which were/are symmetrical drive layouts.

Would love to see a performance Legacy...even a spiced-up 3.6R with suspension bits and aero, but that is just wishful thinking.

5 - 10 years ago, you were probably right, but reactive AWD has gotten substantially better in that time.

I look at the Golf R and Focus RS. Both transversely mounted engines and both are arguably better than the STi.

I'd also note that I had 2008 Ford Taurus AWD for a company car for 3-1/2 years. Frankly, I never once felt that the AWD system was lacking. The difference between it's AWD and the LGT was imperceptible under normal driving, and hardly noticeable when goofing around in a parking lot.

In the late 90's and early 2000's, the AWD systems in FWD based cars were way behind what Subaru and Audi were making, but these days, it's a non-factor.

And both still have torque steer to varying degrees. Saab, and Audi, before the advent of TMEs, and Subaru are the only production models, that I'm aware of, which were/are symmetrical drive layouts.

Would love to see a performance Legacy...even a spiced-up 3.6R with suspension bits and aero, but that is just wishful thinking.

It exists...mod the car lol

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

I haven't driven an RS (yet), but the Golf R has no torque steer at all.

From what I've read, torque steer in the RS is hardly noticeable.

At least one of the reviews that I watched, mentioned heavier TS in the RS and some in the Golf R in heavy throttle starts and hard corner acceleration. There's no way to completely get around it with TME's unequal length drive shafts. One side is always going to rotate faster than the other.

And the Haldex system has never been a favorite, even under the best of circumstances.

Given the limited amount of interior passenger space, and I have made a 850 mile trip in a Golf R, so I can speak to that, I would never be comfortable in either vehicle.

• 2 weeks later...
What does a 2005 model have to do with anything?

The OP said will they make a NEW, not remake a 2005 GT.

So your comparison to a 11 year model has no bearing or meaning in a post about new Legacy GTs.

Hence the reason I said you have no clue, who would think you're talking about a 2005 in a post about NEW ones.

I get you all love the 4th gen, but it's 2016, it's not coming back try to let it go already.

I think I get where BD was going with his post, it wasn't all about 4thgen lovefest, rather , seeing how OP drives an 05 , he merely pointed out that the current WRX is very similar in size to his current ride. So, if he were happy with that, maybe the new WRX would fit the bill, because .... we all know the LGT isn't coming back any time soon.

We, on the other hand, we needed the size of the 5G and the wife insists on manuals, so it was either a plain janer or a LGT ( or another brand). We both liked the fun factor of the LGT.

I just bought a 15 OB 2.5, judging by how it rides and the better styling , I'd LOVE a GT variant of this current gen, but soo sad :icon_cry: , I don't see it happening.

I think I get where BD was going with his post, it wasn't all about 4thgen lovefest, rather , seeing how OP drives an 05 , he merely pointed out that the current WRX is very similar in size to his current ride. So, if he were happy with that, maybe the new WRX would fit the bill, because .... we all know the LGT isn't coming back any time soon.

We, on the other hand, we needed the size of the 5G and the wife insists on manuals, so it was either a plain janer or a LGT ( or another brand). We both liked the fun factor of the LGT.

I just bought a 15 OB 2.5, judging by how it rides and the better styling , I'd LOVE a GT variant of this current gen, but soo sad :icon_cry: , I don't see it happening.

We didn't need the speed of a GT, but the manual was a definite, so we got the Premium and added leather. If I had any idea that the GT was going away, we would have made it work, at the time money was tight.

That said, still very happy with what we have.

Archived