LegacyGT.com

will they ever make a new legacy GT

dsizer89

The accord weighs 100lbs less than the the loaded Legacy :lol:

The motor is a dog. 3.6 liters and only makes 256/247 :lol:

It's actually more like 150 lbs lighter, but do remember that the Legacy is AWD, and last I checked, things like differentials (center and rear), the driveshaft, axles, etc. associated with AWD aren't weightless...

Fuel economy is respectable for the 3.6R at 20/28 - pretty close to the competition which is, again, FWD, so less drivetrain drag.

The Camry's V6 is close in output to the Subaru H6 at 268hp/248 ft-lbs - interestingly, it's the camry that's the lightweight here, at around 100 lbs less than the Accord! That the Legacy is putting down similar numbers for fuel economy, while being AWD and weighing about 240lbs more is pretty impressive. I know Honda does the VCM thing, and presumably Toyota does as well - so that will definitely help with highway mileage. Doing that on a horizontal engine isn't going to happen.

That being said, none of them are a new Legacy GT. :spin:

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Unless you were comparing the 3.0 H6 to Toyota's 3.3L V6 ... then about the same.

The only difference is the lack of a GT model. There was only a relatively short period that the Legacy was offered in a trim that didn't "compete" with the Camry.

Subaru has all the major parts in their bins they needs to put together another Legacy GT, but guess what, they don't want to spend money and time engineering something for a niche group of people. They are very happy selling a lot of AWD Camry's and will gladly sell you a WRX if you want an AWD performance sedan. WRX too small? Legacy underpowered and not tuner friendly? Too bad as they sell everything that they can build at this point. Subaru love y'all!

Maybe this will actually push them to give GT another go? Their "user base" has grown.

I don't think they'll stray from their current business model. There is also capacity to consider. As far as I know, Subaru currently makes the Legacy, Outback, and has recently added the Impreza to the facility in Lafayette, Indiana. Subaru BRZ, XV Crosstrek, Impreza, WRX, STi, and Forester models are built in Japan.

Also a while back Thomas Doll, head of Subaru US, outlined his plan on focusing on mainstream models and since they've had nothing but blinding success. I'd love to see a new Legacy GT, but at this rate I think that is far off, if ever.

Maybe this will actually push them to give GT another go? Their "user base" has grown.
Doubtful, unfortunately for us. Subaru is financially successful following the current course, so it will carry on that way. The fourth generation from 2005 is ancient history.

If current trends continue, young people will care less and less about cars in the future. The enthusiast market is too small for Subaru to chase now.

The people who are buying cars had many complaints about the fourth generation. Too small, too noisy, bad fuel economy, WTF is with these frameless windows, where are all my electronic gadgets, etc. So, Subaru changed.

Doubtful, unfortunately for us. Subaru is financially successful following the current course, so it will carry on that way. The fourth generation from 2005 is ancient history.

If current trends continue, young people will care less and less about cars in the future. The enthusiast market is too small for Subaru to chase now.

The people who are buying cars had many complaints about the fourth generation. Too small, too noisy, bad fuel economy, WTF is with these frameless windows, where are all my electronic gadgets, etc. So, Subaru changed.

Subaru seems to want to coral all the enthusiast into the WRX line. The current VA model is selling very well. Its sales which is sedan only are almost double what the GR/GV were when they had both sedan & hatchback models.

Only evil people complain about frameless windows.
:)

I like them, though I understand many good people don't. Part of the Subaru quirkiness, I suppose. Also, I like having the thin A-pillars.

Subaru seems to want to coral all the enthusiast into the WRX line. The current VA model is selling very well. Its sales which is sedan only are almost double what the GR/GV were when they had both sedan & hatchback models.
True enough, there is no wagon because it's not popular enough, which is sad. I've never understood that bias, but then many things about our culture don't make sense to me. :iam:

:)

I like them, though I understand many good people don't. Part of the Subaru quirkiness, I suppose. Also, I like having the thin A-pillars.

True enough, there is no wagon because it's not popular enough, which is sad. I've never understood that bias, but then many things about our culture don't make sense to me. :iam:

The funny thing is that here it's hard to stay on the market unless a wagon is offered.

453747.png

People love wagons in the US...as long as you lift it and then call it a SUV. Look how great the Outback has done, but the Legacy station wagon was a flop. The major difference being a body lift, suspension, and body cladding, but aren't they sporty! AmIright, amIright?

...AmIright, amIright?

YouAreSoRight. I know what ehsnils is talking about, too. When I was in Europe a few years ago, wagons were all over the place. Sometimes called Estate, Touring, etc. but they were seen as simply a practical body style that could also be sporty. Every European marque had them.

Nothing new, I know, but maybe it will change over time. Or maybe we'll all be driven around in autonomous robot mobiles in a few years and it won't matter.

I like my flop. ;)

YouAreSoRight. I know what ehsnils is talking about, too. When I was in Europe a few years ago, wagons were all over the place. Sometimes called Estate, Touring, etc. but they were seen as simply a practical body style that could also be sporty. Every European marque had them.

Nothing new, I know, but maybe it will change over time. Or maybe we'll all be driven around in autonomous robot mobiles in a few years and it won't matter.

I like my flop. ;)

I hear ya. Wagons and hatchbacks rule in EU. After all they are very practical. Not so much in the US hence why there are almost no wagons offered and hatchbacks are lukewarm. Give it some bigger wheels and tires though - to fight the treacherous strip-mall parking lots - and you are printing money.

I hear ya. Wagons and hatchbacks rule in EU. After all they are very practical. Not so much in the US hence why there are almost no wagons offered and hatchbacks are lukewarm. Give it some bigger wheels and tires though - to fight the treacherous strip-mall parking lots - and you are printing money.

:lol:

Yesterday I saw a brand new 4Runner Limited with low profile tires. It occurred to me that my LGT has probably done more offroading than the 4Runner ever will.

:lol:

Yesterday I saw a brand new 4Runner Limited with low profile tires. It occurred to me that my LGT has probably done more offroading than the 4Runner ever will.

I know, for those who haven't driven the LGT on a good dirt road, you are missing a treat. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived