LegacyGT.com

Brake pedal down on ice?

The roads were really icy and slick this morning. No plows anywhere. A 10 minute commute turned into 30 because of the slow speeds. I was on a side street and started hitting my brakes for a stop sign. I could tell it was icy as the ABS was kicking in (pedal vibrated back and forth). As I got closer to the stop sign, and still not stopped, I pressed the brake a little harder. The pedal went way lower than normal and the vehicle stopped. The brake pedal was at a normal height then when I hit the gas. I didn't have to hit the brakes hard on ice for the rest of the trip. Is this FAD or could there have been some issue when the dealer changed my brake fluid last week? It was functioning fine in dry weather, and I even tried a few harder stops.

I got the fluid changed because it's been about three years and I had my brakes done at a different shop a few months ago. I have Hawk HPS 5.0 pads. Not the best cold weather brake (average, on par with OEM) but amazing in warmer weather once they get some heat on them.

If the brakes seemed normal after the brake bleeding and the brake pedal returned to its normal position after this incident, I wouldn't worry about it. The combination of the ABS modulating the brakes and you pressing harder likely allow vacuum booster to allow the brake pedal to allow more brake pressure in the master cylinder.

On my truck, one of the tricks to set the brakes for better grip on drag race launch is to rev the engine in neutral while holding the brakes hard; the brake pedal will drop a good inch or so. Once I release the brake, it goes back to normal. While not exactly same, a similar result maybe be happening.

I have had this happen when ABS kicks in on the race track, which is hard to do with my 255 tires under normal hard straight braking, but easy when overcooking it into a 30mph corner from a 90mph straight and needing to begin turn in or risk running straight on the corner. It is disconcerting until you realize that its the ABS doing it's thing.

Archived