LegacyGT.com

Engine malfunction tonight

That is odd. I wonder if during the belt change the valve hit the piston? But there are two and they should open at the same time. The other is ok? Any marks on the piston top like it got hit?

It seems the valves or something affecting the valves is a common enough issue with the 5th gen.

UPDATE....having followed up with the mechanic, he has now verified the Timing is ok and did not shift; since he nearly gave me a heart attack with the initial diagnosis, i went over and looked for myself and now have to direct traffic.

so...with the coil on #1 replaced and still running like crap, checked compression on all cylinders; #1 cyl had none. Removed the head and the exhaust valve is broken! As of now, both heads will be checked, valve repaired, etc.

God i hope this isn't what's going on with mine. It's been a driveway queen for a few weeks since I don't have the money or time to get into it for another week or two.

Not in the Mopar and Ford's I've built. I wonder if it because of the thermal expansion of the aluminum head vs the steel guides if the press isn't tight enough that it could fall over time and use. Or a valve stem seal is not allowing sufficient lubrication to the valve stem and it slowly works its way down. If you take the heads off and have them rebuild, get them all checked out.

Does Subaru use valve rotators?

Archived