LegacyGT.com

Part out or sell whole???

I'm selling my 05 LGT and i'm not sure which way would be better to sell it. I'm not interested in shipping parts out. I don't have many aftermarket parts besides an exhaust and an intake. Which way would make the most sense? I'd hate to sit on it for a long period of time selling every nut and bolt until the shell remains.

Why are you considering a part out? what's broken? in a wreck?

I'll assume the car was in a wreck and totaled. In that case, parting out the car takes a LOT of time. Not just for tearing apart but for storing and cataloging items, you will need to ship items or you'll be sitting on a garage full of parts for years. If you don't have the time to invest, sell it as is. If you have the time and patience for a part out - that'll always return more money but how much money is your time worth?

hmm... tough call. Hows the overall condition of the car otherwise? if its a beater, sell it as is because a new engine won't add value equal to the money invested to repair it. if the car is in really nice shape otherwise, low miles, clear title, no other issues, then I'd fix it and sell it in working condition. still wont get you back the full amount you put in I bet, but you'll be more likely to get more money for the car if you just went through everything and can guarantee engine condition, etc.

look up KBB and NADA prices to get an idea of what the car might sell for in good condition, then see what it might sell for as a "project car" that needs a new engine. as a project car, might only be worth a couple thousand at best (depending on condition of the rest of the car of course)

I wouldn't rebuild an engine in a hail-damaged car, unless you're doing the entire rebuild yourself or plan on keeping the car after it. A rebuild is going to run $5500-6000 - there's no way a 12 year old one of these with hail damage and a rebuilt block is ever going to sell for more than that, if that at all. I'd see what I could get for the car whole first to see if anyone is looking for a parts car, then go on to a part-out if no one makes a reasonable offer on that.

Find a used engine. Look in my IDEA sticky above. There is a post with some sources to look for engines.

It depends on whether or not you really like the car. If you really enjoyed when it was running correctly, then fix it and drive it. You can drive it another couple of years and still get $2K out of it, even with the hail damage.

Archived