LegacyGT.com

Finally solved the Phase I to Phase II electronics conversion

Well guys after weeks of combing through wiring diagrams and creating endless spreadsheets, I believe I have found a way to convert your 99 EJ25 harness to accept a EJ222, or EJ222 top end. Instead of pulling the whole harness out from behind the dash and replacing it with the EJ222 harness, I am working on converting the harness with very minimal changes to the EJ25 harness. The harness, for the most part, is 90% the same. Best part about it is, I am working on a plug-in conversion kit so you can go back and forth between a EJ25 and EJ222 ECU and electronics with no further modification More details to follow! :spin::spin:

Disclaimer:

The reason I am doing this is because I got a mid-90's EJ25 bottom end for free and have a perfectly good EJ222. I am combining the EJ25 bottom end and EJ222 top end for a higher compression engine that is ECU friendly. The downside is that you must use the EJ222 ECU and engine harness. Those of you that know about the 99 know it is a rare breed in terms of electronics.

There is a couple things I noticed about this conversion that need to be noted. I am trying to track down a EJ25 ECU header. My plan is to create a plug-n-play installation by using the header to convert the ECU wiring to a EJ222 harness. I will also be adapting the EJ25 engine plugs to EJ22 engine plugs with a few modifications. Here are a few of my observations in building this harness:

1.) The EJ25 uses a few plugs that are directly run from the ECU. The MAF, O2, and Boost Sensors are not part of the engine harness like on the EJ22.

2.) The MAF on the EJ25 is a 3 wire design on a 5-pin connector. The EJ22 is a 4-wire on the same 5-pin. However, the workings are fundamentally different between the two engines. The EJ22 relies on input from the pressure sensor for a signal. For this reason, I am making a separate harness to adapt the EJ25 connectors to work with the EJ22. The EJ22 MAF and pressure sensor will need to be used.

3.) The IACV is also different. On the EJ25, it has a 3-wire connection (2 signal to the ECU, 1 ground). The EJ22 has a 6-wire connection (4 signal to the ECU, 2 ground). A separate harness will be built to interface the IACV with the ECU and Engine harness.

4.) The EJ25 ECU communicates with an igniter, which then outputs to the ignition coil. If I splice into the two wires from the igniter, I can provide a connection for the EJ22 ignition coil to the ECU.

5.) No modification to the engine harness on the EJ22 is required. All modifications will be self contained to the bulkhead harness. No pulling the dash will be required and only 4 wires will need to run from the interior to the engine bay.

• 5 months later...

After my build plans went south on my initial build idea, I put this project on hold. Rest assured, it's coming back. I have been planning something big now for a while and keeping it a secret. This thread kind of fell to the wayside, but I'm bringing it back.

I've put together a little FAQ for people who aren't sure what this is or why do I need it.

Why? I can just use an EJ22E in my car now and not have to change a thing.

This is a valid point and a commonly brought up objection when I presented it to people locally. If you want to replace your EJ25 for the more reliable EJ22, you have to track down a EJ22E. This is the swapper's motor of choice because it is virtually plug-n-play and retains your old ECU. This is a great option, except for one problem: The EJ22E is 19-27 years old. At best these engines will have around 150k miles all the way to 300k+ miles and aren't exactly in the best shape.

This kit allows you to use almost any N/A Phase II motor from the 99-01 2.2L to the EJ25x series engines without having to rip out the entire dash and rewire everything from the bulkhead forward. The mileage on these units tend to be lower, offering better options for a lower mileage motor.

What is this?

This will be an entire engine harness conversion kit for the OBDII second gen Legacy platform that uses the Phase I engines.

95-98 Legacy Brighton & L with the 2.2L

96-99 Legacy Outback and GT with the 2.5L motor.

I'm hoping to do a complete WRX motor without the pain of wiring it all up. :cool:

What is the current status?

Right now a prototype harness kit was built and currently being tested with an EJ222 from a 99 Legacy L in a 99 Legacy Outback. So far the kit is holding up well and we've only had some minor issues with it. I should be ready to make full harness conversions in about two months, as long as everything else goes smoothly. With moving and work, it's been hard to devote time and finances to the project.

How easy is it to install?

Each harness conversion kit is custom made to fit "most" N/A motors. In my research, the wiring is 99% the same between Phase II N/A motors. That being said, no serious modifications are needed to your existing harness. My kit will be 100% plug-n-play and can be installed by anyone with basic experience that can read instructions.

There are wires that need to be run manually, but it has been simplified as much as possible in order to do it. No hacking or modification of your existing harness is the goal of this kit.

What about turbo engines?

This is still being researched, but technically can be done. The WRX and STI harness is very similar to the N/A harness, but it has enough differences that the N/A harness will not work out of the box.

How about newer engines with drive-by-wire?

Engines with the drive-by-wire will most likely not be supported either as they usually are accompanied by CANBUS and ignition transponders which is an entirely different ECU setup to begin with. This is usually when you want to use a standalone ECU.

Will JDM Engines work too?

If a JDM engine swap is plug and play with the Phase II cars, it'll work with the conversion kit. This includes the popular JDM EJ20 swap found in 99-01 Foresters and 00-04 Legacy/Outbacks.

What about transmissions?

The kit can be made to work with a car with a AT to MT swap. The harness is virtually identical and we only delete the wires not necessary. A MT ECU is still required. The test vehicle was originally an AT car, converted to MT using the EJ222 MT ECU. I just omitted everything the ECU needs to talk to the TCU in the kit.

Can I use this to swap in an EZ30 or an EG33?

Through the basic research, I have found this to be a no. The EZ30 engine harness alone has more connections than the old harness has, making a retrofit impossible without adding in tons of sensor wiring.

In the case of the EG33, there were only two years of OBDII SVX's made. There were only 1,751 OBDII SVX built, making them hard to find an OBDII example harness. The 92-95 EG33 harness is OBDI only.

Disclaimer:

The reason I am doing this is because I got a mid-90's EJ25 bottom end for free and have a perfectly good EJ222. I am combining the EJ25 bottom end and EJ222 top end for a higher compression engine that is ECU friendly. The downside is that you must use the EJ222 ECU and engine harness. Those of you that know about the 99 know it is a rare breed in terms of electronics.

Swap 222 crank gear over to EJ25D block. Done. Not the best of hybrids, but it will run with 222 heads. Also, the only way you will have a high compression hybrid is if you are using a 1996 EJ25D block ONLY. The rest will be low compression except for the EJ251/3.

Why? I can just use an EJ22E in my car now and not have to change a thing.

This is a valid point and a commonly brought up objection when I presented it to people locally. If you want to replace your EJ25 for the more reliable EJ22, you have to track down a EJ22E. This is the swapper's motor of choice because it is virtually plug-n-play and retains your old ECU. This is a great option, except for one problem: The EJ22E is 19-27 years old. At best these engines will have around 150k miles all the way to 300k+ miles and aren't exactly in the best shape.

EJ22E's that have 100k-150k miles are often in fantastic shape. I have gotten EJ22E's with 170k on them that still have amazing crosshatching and were well within acceptable bearing/ring specs.

What about turbo engines?

This is still being researched, but technically can be done. The WRX and STI harness is very similar to the N/A harness, but it has enough differences that the N/A harness will not work out of the box.

An EJ205 ECU's connector should have the ability to be spliced in, especially since the EJ222 has the IACV that it will be looking for, among all things.

Will JDM Engines work too?

If a JDM engine swap is plug and play with the Phase II cars, it'll work with the conversion kit. This includes the popular JDM EJ20 swap found in 99-01 Foresters and 00-04 Legacy/Outbacks.

EJ222 ECU will run EJ205 heads, no questions asked. It will run any Phase 2 head so long as the timing marks match up to what is required.

What about transmissions?

The kit can be made to work with a car with a AT to MT swap. The harness is virtually identical and we only delete the wires not necessary. A MT ECU is still required. The test vehicle was originally an AT car, converted to MT using the EJ222 MT ECU. I just omitted everything the ECU needs to talk to the TCU in the kit.

You can repin the Phase 1 ECU's to run as auto or manual. If you are using the Phase 2 ECU's and messing around with electronics, take great precaution, as you do not want a brick event.

Thanks DOHCEJ22E1 for chiming in. All valuable information that I can use. In regards to low mileage EJ22E's, they are few and far between around me. I usually find them completely clapped out with almost 300k miles and the lower mileage ones in the yard suffered internal failures either by neglect or otherwise.

The FAQ I made up was a collaboration from a couple local buddy's of mine brainstorming about this project. Many of them have the older Phase I motors and want to swap full Phase II engines, but the fact that there is no easy way to it deters them.

We're seeing a lot of Phase II engines come into the local yards, so we just snag them for their lower ends, knowing that we can't use the top ends due to the electronics. One day, we hope to make that a reality with relatively few changes to the Phase I harness.

My personal goal is to take my Phase I project wagon and drop in a badass WRX or STI swap with doing minimal wiring, so this retrofit kit is the start of that. If I can take the prototype kit I have now and modify it later when I get my ideal motor, it will help to keep development costs low.

Ugh - login fail and I lost my original reply.

Short but sweet version:

I like what you've got going on here, but I want to do the flip version...

I have a '98 GT Wagon with Phase 1 EJ25D and Phase 1 4EAT. I want to keep my original engine but swap to a Phase 2 Sport Shift 4EAT. These rare transmissions are found on '03-'04 Legacy GT's and '04-'06 Turbo Bajas. I will need the TCU from the '03-'04 Legacy, but I've been told that the Phase 2 TCU won't talk to my Phase 1 ECU:

https://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2693422

However, '99 GT's have the "Phase 1.5" EJ25D, an engine that has a Phase 2 block but keeps Phase 1 heads. They came from the factory with a Phase 2 4EAT and TCU. It seems to me that I could swap to a '99 GT ECU and the '03-'04 TCU and make it work, as described in the this thread:

http://sl-i.net/FORUM/showthread.php?16873-So-WHAT-IF-Sport-Shift-in-a-1999-GT

I don't know the harnesses well enough to determine what needs the be merged between the '98/'99/'04 engine and transmission harnesses. It seems like your project could be useful to help me create some plug-and-play conversion harnesses.

Ugh - login fail and I lost my original reply.

Short but sweet version:

I like what you've got going on here, but I want to do the flip version...

I have a '98 GT Wagon with Phase 1 EJ25D and Phase 1 4EAT. I want to keep my original engine but swap to a Phase 2 Sport Shift 4EAT. These rare transmissions are found on '03-'04 Legacy GT's and '04-'06 Turbo Bajas. I will need the TCU from the '03-'04 Legacy, but I've been told that the Phase 2 TCU won't talk to my Phase 1 ECU:

https://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2693422

However, '99 GT's have the "Phase 1.5" EJ25D, an engine that has a Phase 2 block but keeps Phase 1 heads. They came from the factory with a Phase 2 4EAT and TCU. It seems to me that I could swap to a '99 GT ECU and the '03-'04 TCU and make it work, as described in the this thread:

http://sl-i.net/FORUM/showthread.php?16873-So-WHAT-IF-Sport-Shift-in-a-1999-GT

I don't know the harnesses well enough to determine what needs the be merged between the '98/'99/'04 engine and transmission harnesses. It seems like your project could be useful to help me create some plug-and-play conversion harnesses.

The 99 engine/trim levels were really weird during that year.

Some 99 GT/Outbacks were "Phase 1.5" with a Phase 2 transmission and TCU and a "Phase 1.5" ECU or in the case of mine, Phase 2 Trans and TCU and a true Phase 1 ECU. One way to tell is if a VAG-COM cable will work with FreeSSM. Apparently a 99 with the Phase 1.5 ECU are able to get readings with a VAG-COM and FreeSSM. The programming on these were almost Phase 2 type programming but able to work on Phase 1 electronics. I have 2 different ECU images for the 99 2.5 motors corresponding to 2 different ECU codes. This information is relevant to determining your specific setup.

That said, the wiring on all Phase 1 cars are identical, despite their individual internal programming changes to the ECU and TCU. Why Subaru did this? Maybe they were beta testing Phase 2 programming before official rollout for the EJ25 motors. It would also explain the usage of the Phase 2 internals and Phase 1 heads. My daily driver was converted to a 100% Phase 1 motor (4 block mounting points and a stud in the transmission for the starter).

My assumption, which could entirely be wrong, is these hybrid ECU's in the 99 2.5's could be the key to running later generation transmissions in early Phase 1 cars. I haven't probed too far into transmission development on my harness, but it's definitely on my to-do list. From what I have found, the ECU only requires a handful of inputs from the TCU (I don't have my schematics handy at the moment) which provide it basics like speed input, shift lever position, etc. I'll take a look at the TCU schematics from the Baja Turbo, since I have just about every wiring diagram, FSM, and factory engineering manuals for 4EAT's known to man. Some of the stuff I have doesn't even exist from the public forum and some of it is straight from Japan and needs translated.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

I'm definitely doing more research on this ECU to TCU dilemma. Looking at the parts lists, there are 4 different ECU codes for the 99 2.5

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Holy moley that's awesome info. My car is in the transmission shop right now and I fear I will be spending big bucks for repairs but getting no additional performance or features.

I've been diving as deep as Google will let me to see if this Sport Shift swap is possible but mostly all I find is dead ends. Although I did put in a Power Mode switch, my transmission/TCU experience is generally nil. I have a JDM Sport Shift floor shifter on the way courtesy of ebay, but haven't spend the hundreds additional for the TV-series 4EAT (haha that reads kinda funny) and matching TCU.

BTW someone suggested that the Baja TCU will be calibrated for Outback-sized tires, and the '03-'04 Legacy GT TCU will be calibrated to regular Legacy tires, so in my case I will want to source the BE/BH GT TCU. If the "Hybrid" Phase 1.5 '99 ECU is the one to get, I will need to source that as well and wire it into my Phase one '98 GT, assuming this is doable and will give me the results I am looking for.

My JDM Sport Shifter arrived today, It's pretty nice! So anyway I talked to the transmission shop just before closing, they took it for a test drive and agreed with my symptoms, which they described as "weird" haha. Tomorrow they'll take off the pan and have a look inside.

Strangely the tranny tech seemed to believe that the "4EAT" name was not used until '99+ ...which makes the description "Phase 2" rather peculiar I'd say :lol:

If this turns out to be a catastrophic failure requiring a complete rebuild, I'd rather put that money into dropping a good Phase 2 4EAT and making that work.

Setnev, If you happen to have some clear images of Phase 1 vs. Phase 2 TCU harnesses and Phase 1 vs. Phase 1.5 ECU harnesses, I'd so much love to have a look to study this further. I think I better send you a PM :)

http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g432/camroncamera/20170519_013451_zpsa8slhxbl.jpg

http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g432/camroncamera/20170519_012104_zpst2gfcska.jpg

http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g432/camroncamera/20170519_011018_zpse5tu8ehb.jpg

http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g432/camroncamera/20170519_011207_zpsswqhhfyo.jpg

http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g432/camroncamera/20170519_011230_zpsbuqqxxgk.jpg

Yesterday I went to our local wrecking yard. There were a few 2nd and 3rd gen Legacies there. I got there only about an hour before closing, so I was more interested in having a general look at the harnesses/plugs at the transmissions and TCUs rather than leaving the yard with random pigtails and whatnot. There was an '03 sedan, but it was not a GT. The engine and 4EAT were both gone. I took several photos to study later. The harnesses behind the dash connected to the TCU are dizzying and gave me a serious reality check about trying to make an '03 Phase 2 transmission connect and work properly in a '98 Phase 1 car.

It does make me wonder how much of the wiring is the same between 1st and 2nd gen, and whether the idea of a conversion harness at each plug could make it all work... a conversion harness coming out of the transmission going into the car harness, and then another that comes out of the car harness and connects to the upgraded TCU. (If you were using a JDM-sourced Phase 2 4EAT and TCU, you could think of it as a sort of Japanese-to-English-to-Japanese translation, haha.) Probably there would have to be some additional wires run alongside the car's original harness if there isn't enough circuits, but the goal is to keep the car's original transmission harness in place and run the majority of as many of the same signals on the same wires as possible. Essentially a reversible plug-and-play harness merge for the transmission, just like what you have in mind for a Phase 2 engine in a phase 1 car. If there are some sensors and signals that the Phase 2 transmission and TCU depend on that the Phase 1 engine and body cannot provide, then there may be no point in doing all of this:

No, the 98 is a phase 1 4eat, and the 99 is a phase 2 4eat. The two are not electronically compatible. For the 99 you'll need a 99-03 4.44 final drive 4eat from a legacy gt, impreza rs, or forester.

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/161520-98-legacy-gt-auto-trans-compatible-w-99-forester/#entry1344157

Here's another useful tidbit from the SubaruForester.org forum:

Sport Shift for 04-05 4EAT

Required parts:

Baja Sport TCU - 31711AJ300 or 31711AJ301

Floor shifter with Sport Shift gating. It is recommended to get the accompanying shifter linkage cable.

Connect to pins on the TCU to access the feature.

The B54 connector is the last, smallest, connector connecting to the TCU.

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d174/minifreak/SPORT_SHIFT_zps1c904bcd.png

Note: You will not need to take pins out. (It was a special case for me)

The green coloured boxes indicates those three pins are what you need to be able to turn ON/OFF Sport Shift and shift Up/Down.

The blue coloured boxes are the pins that will tell the gauge cluster which gear the transmission is in right. The electronic signal go from High to Low when it is activated. You can either find a cluster that has the gear indicator built-in. Or build a display module to decode the signals.

Indicator 1 low = 1st gear

Indicator 2 low = 2nd gear

Indicator 1 & 2 low = 3rd gear

Indicator 3 low = 4th gear

Indicator 4 low = Shift down indicator ON

The old TCU is located under the dash to the left of the steering column. You will need to remove two 10mm nuts. Disconnect 3 connectors. (B54, B55, B56 in the FSM) Add additional pin sockets for the Sport Shift functions. Install new TCU.

http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/3600665-post319.html

Sorry if I am derailing your Phase 1/2 Engine conversion thread to talk about Phase 1/2 transmission swaps, but it did appear that you have an interest in doing this as well, I hope it's okay that I've been doing this ;)

The following is quoted for general reference and was sent to me by user wtdash over on NASIOC. Setnev and others may find this info redundant but there is one line (in bold) that is standing out for me right now with regards to the '99 2.5 ECUs:

You can't use the Ej25D engine - block + Heads + wiring/electronics - on anything newer than '98 or the '99 version of a OB, GT or SUS...Every other Subaru model went to phase 2 in '99 - which includes the SOHC EJ253/251 engines.

Something I posted elsewhere:

This is accurate (to the best of my knowledge) but may not be complete.

Phase 1 vs. Phase 2 EJ-series 4-cylinder engines

Phase 1 and Phase 2 refer to the Engines, Transmissions and Electronics used in Subarus. It does NOT refer to body styles or Generations of each model.

See Wikipedia for more EJ-series info:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subaru_EJ_engine

Note: This pertains to USA models. Japan (JDM) and other overseas markets had more engine choices, but generally the Phase 2 started the same time.

Phase 1: All Subaru 1.8, 2.2 (incl.'91-'94 turbo version), and 2.5 engines from 1989-1998, including the '99 Legacy Outback, SUS and GT*.

Note: The EG33 in the SVX is considered a Phase 1, I'd think.

Phase 2: All Subaru 2.0, 2.2 and 2.5 engines (incl. turbo versions) from 1999-2010 (depends on model when the FB-series engine was 1st used).

*The 1999 Legacy OB, SUS and GT’s EJ25D used a Phase 2 shortblock BUT with the Phase 1 ’96-’98 2.5 pistons, DOHC heads, Intake Manifold and engine harness. It also had the Phase 2 4EAT Transmission.

More info:

o The Phase 1 EJ22E had at least 3 variations from ’89-’98.

o The ’89-’95 were DUAL-port exhaust vs. SINGLE-port on the ’96-’98.

o In ’97-’98 they changed to different piston for higher Comp. Ratio and SLA on the valve lifters.

o 1995>1996 was the OBD1 to OBD2 transition year. The '95 Impreza 1.8 5-speed was still OBD1; '95 Impreza EJ22 + 4EAT was OBD2. The '95 Legacy was all OBD2 - I think, but its ECU tuning/wiring was bit different than the '96-'98 Subarus.

Notes about swaps:

- The Intake Manifolds (IM) PHASE 1 on 2.2 and 2.5 do NOT interchange/swap with each other or Phase 2.

- The IM on the PHASE 2 SOHC and DOHC ‘might’ interchange w/some slight modifcation – I’ve read conflicting reports on this. The ’99-’01 2.2 SOHC and ‘99+ 2.5 SOHC will interchange.

- The sensors, IAC, Throttle body, injectors, ECUs, wiring harness plugs, etc are different between Phases, which prevents the easy swaps. The shortblocks (no cylinder heads or IM) can be used across phases in 'most' cases, up to the 2005 EJ253 engine.

- There are differences within Phases, too. Cam and crankshaft sprockets need to match the ECU for the early and later '99+ 2.5.

Info on EJ22E used from ’89-98: General Hybrid Info on EJ25D - EJ22E/T [Archive] - Subaru Legacy International

From Wikipedia:

Changes in the 2.2-litre Phase 2 engines are as follows (most if not all of these updates were applied to the 2.5 engines as well):

• The engine and transmission are fastened with six bolts and two studs.

• The thrust bearing has been moved to the number 5 position.

• The oil groove in the number 1 and 3 have been changed to supply additional lubrication to the crank journal.

• Many changes to the cylinder head and camshafts (specifics on Wikipedia)

• Different pistons with a Compression Ratio of 10:1

• Different Camshaft gears / sprockets

- Additional Phase 2 info:

• Transmissions acquired an external spin-on filter. Designed to last the life of the transmission.

• Different internal electronics

• 2-4 brake band from Phase 1 was replaced with a 2-4 clutch pack

• The valve body went from using five solenoids to seven solenoids

• From here: The many changes to the Subaru 4EAT | Search Autoparts

• Note that starting about 2004 in the Forester XT, the 4EAT Phase 2, Version 2 came out.

Strangely the tranny tech seemed to believe that the "4EAT" name was not used until '99+ ...which makes the description "Phase 2" rather peculiar I'd say :lol:

If this turns out to be a catastrophic failure requiring a complete rebuild, I'd rather put that money into dropping a good Phase 2 4EAT and making that work.

Setnev, If you happen to have some clear images of Phase 1 vs. Phase 2 TCU harnesses and Phase 1 vs. Phase 1.5 ECU harnesses, I'd so much love to have a look to study this further. I think I better send you a PM :)

The sport shifter looks pretty nice. In regards to the tranny tech telling you the 4EAT name wasn't used until 99+, I'd start looking for a new shop. The guy obviously doesn't know what he's talking about. The 4EAT is actually a Jatco built transmission. We share the same tranny as the first gen Pathfinder (albeit different bellhousing and tailshaft to accommodate an external transfer case); Ford even uses the same transmission (branded as the F-4EAT) for their FWD cars in the 90's and early 2000's. That transmission has been in production since the late 80's for Subaru, starting with the XT6, then changed the bellhousing and input shaft in 1990 for the first gen Legacy. The transmission has remained relatively untouched since then.

I do not have any issue with you performing your own research on the topic of transmissions, since I don't exactly have the time to devote at the moment. Not at least until everything at work settles down and I finish the engine swap on my girlfriend's Outback.

I have some down time today, so I will sort through the TCU diagrams for your and get some screen grabs and upload them here for you to take a look at. If you're using the Baja/Late 3rd Gen as a frame of reference, I'll grab that harness diagram too.

In regards to using the ECU from a 99, as long as it's a 2.5 ECU, it's still considered Phase 1, despite the changed programming for the later phase transmissions. People, myself included, have used an older EJ25 and EJ22 in their car with the 99 ECU without issue. The snippet from wtdash, who is also a member here, is in regards to when you use the Phase 2 bottom end (EJ251,2,3) and Phase 1 top end for a frankenmotor setup. Like I said, I am running a 97 block and heads with my 99 ECU with no issues. I didn't have to swap a thing.

Good news, my suspicions were correct. The good news is that the TCU from the 03/04 donor feeds 8 connections to it's respective ECU and the same is true for the 99 ECU, exactly 8 connections. This makes it 100% confirmed that the 99 ECU is setup to talk to Phase 2 transmissions. The 96-98 ECU only has 6, which is consistent with Phase 1 transmissions. There are 2 modifications that you need to your existing ECU plug and that is the addition of wires on Pin 61 and 78.

On the ECU connector, Pins 47, 61, 78, 79, 80 refer to the AT system, but do not provide what their designated function is on either the AT system diagram nor the ECU diagram. In fact, on the ECU diagram, it says to refer to AT system.

For the remaining pins, Pin 64 provides the TCU with the tach signal, and pin 6 and 21 provide the TCU with input from the TPS. These are documented in both the AT system diagram and the ECU diagram.

Now if you're still with me on this, 99+ uses an identical TCU pinout (plugs B54 and B55) as the 03/04 but with sport shifter the TCU uses a third plug. After seeing this, it seems that any Phase 2 transmission is 100% plug-n-play on a Phase I vehicle provided you use the 99 2.5 ECU and add in the two missing pins listed above to the harness.

However, if you want the sport shift shifter, you'll need to add in the appropriate third connector, supporting harness, sport shift TCU, and matching transmission. The good news is that the only two connectors that talk to the ECU provide it with input to tell the combination meter to display the selected gear. It should operate just fine without it. The wires exist, they're just not in use on non-sport shift models. :cool:

Be warned though, it is definitely going to require cutting to your existing harness in order to pair up the new TCU wiring to the 99 ECU. I've supplied links to each car's respective TCU wiring harnesses for reference. Since my project currently utilizes a manual transmission, I have no wires to the TCU. BUT, with a simple addition to my harness, it could be technically possible to use a full on Phase 2 engine and 4EAT transmission combination in a full Phase I car. Thank you for further advancing my research in this. I had no idea it was that "simple". Designing a harness though, will be some bit of a task, but I think with a little collaboration, we can do this together.

97 TCU.pdf

99 TCU.pdf

03 Sport Shift TCU.pdf

Side note: I've looked into it and the 5EAT is never going to be compatible with anything earlier than a 4th Gen. That transmission talks to a CAN-BUS module and BCM which is not financially feasible to integrate into older vehicles without a whole donor car. It can be done, but I don't advise it. You're better off buying a 4th gen Legacy GT turbo or Outback XT if you want a 5EAT.

The sport shifter looks pretty nice. In regards to the tranny tech telling you the 4EAT name wasn't used until 99+, I'd start looking for a new shop. The guy obviously doesn't know what he's talking about. The 4EAT is actually a Jatco built transmission. We share the same tranny as the first gen Pathfinder (albeit different bellhousing and tailshaft to accommodate an external transfer case); Ford even uses the same transmission (branded as the F-4EAT) for their FWD cars in the 90's and early 2000's. That transmission has been in production since the late 80's for Subaru, starting with the XT6, then changed the bellhousing and input shaft in 1990 for the first gen Legacy. The transmission has remained relatively untouched since then.

It is a reputable transmission performance/repair shop personally recommended to me by the owner of Nameless Performance, a Subaru-focused performance shop about 25 miles north of me. The transmission shop works on classic hot rods as much as Subarus, which are everywhere here in the PNW. That day that I spoke on the phone with the tech, he told me a model number code for my transmission that I'd never heard of (not the part number printed on the top of the bellhousing)... I think that he said R4AX-EL, which makes sense now that I have come across that model name in my research. I think they know what they are doing. I had the car towed way up there so either way I'm pretty much committed to their service no matter what :lol:

Last Friday I called for an update, and they told me that they looked into the Baja Sport Shift and said that it could not be done in a cost effective manner (a reasonable evaluation, IMO), but that I could add an aftermarket TCU called Forced Four to my Phase 1:

http://www.forcedfour.com/

I haven't spent too much time researching the Forced Four shift box, but even if I could make it work, I would miss out on a VTD differential that the TV1B4xxxxx 4EAT comes with.

On Monday I popped in unannounced, and they were kind enough to accommodate me and my questions. I brought the Sport Shift assembly and a 3rd-gen center/handbrake console to see if they would fit at all. I figured that even if the Phase 2 4EAT wouldn't work, that maybe the Sport Shift could be installed and I could play with an external TCU later on. When I was at the wrecking yard the other day I snagged another center console... from a 5MT '95 Legacy wagon. I noticed something about the shifter cutout in the trim... rather than "humped" to match the arc of a 4EAT floor shifter, the trim was flat... probably a closer match to the Sport Shift faceplate than trying to get the 3rd-gen stuff in there.

Be warned though, it is definitely going to require cutting to your existing harness in order to pair up the new TCU wiring to the 99 ECU. I've supplied links to each car's respective TCU wiring harnesses for reference. Since my project currently utilizes a manual transmission, I have no wires to the TCU. BUT, with a simple addition to my harness, it could be technically possible to use a full on Phase 2 engine and 4EAT transmission combination in a full Phase I car. Thank you for further advancing my research in this. I had no idea it was that "simple". Designing a harness though, will be some bit of a task, but I think with a little collaboration, we can do this together.

[ATTACH]249969[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]249970[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]249971[/ATTACH]

*snip*

Setnev wins the internet for the day. Incredible stuff! I will be studying. Any reason I can't build a plug and play conversion harness to go from '98 2.5 car to '99 ECU? ...Assuming I can get ahold of some "headers" or male connectors that are normally installed in ECU/TCU units.

I've never swapped an ECU, isn't that buried behind the dash? That might be the straw the breaks the camel's back for me and this proposed swap.

Setnev wins the internet for the day. Incredible stuff! I will be studying. Any reason I can't build a plug and play conversion harness to go from '98 2.5 car to '99 ECU? ...Assuming I can get ahold of some "headers" or male connectors that are normally installed in ECU/TCU units.

I've never swapped an ECU, isn't that buried behind the dash? That might be the straw the breaks the camel's back for me and this proposed swap.

You won't really need a "conversion harness" for the 98 to 99 ECU, they're essentially the same connector. Methinks the 98 is missing those two wires for the Phase 2 TCU input, which is a lot easier to put pins in than to make a custom adapter.

The ECU is very easy to get to. Pull up the carpet in the passenger front footwell, unbolt the metal plate and viola! instant ECU access. The TCU is right behind the brake pedal.

"Holy $#!+ that's the best news I've ever heard!"

Seriously I might let the shop know that I want them to install a TV1B4xxxxx that I find for them, and that I will handle the wiring... a parts recycler company across the river just got one into their system. I called this AM and they told me it's a Canadian '03 GT unit with 168,000mi, and I did verify that the part number is a TV-series. It's actually in Idaho right now, so it would arrive in Portland after the Memorial Day holiday. But it is only a few hundred bucks. I asked for some photos, and they sent them (crappy ones haha) right out. I noticed short stub axles, not sure if that's the same as my existing Phase 1 setup.

http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g432/camroncamera/20170525_122148_resized_zpsxyja53rr.jpg

Edit: I asked for the corresponding TCU but it's not available.

Edit #2:

Now if you're still with me on this, 99+ uses an identical TCU pinout (plugs B54 and B55) as the 03/04 but with sport shifter the TCU uses a third plug. After seeing this, it seems that any Phase 2 transmission is 100% plug-n-play on a Phase I vehicle provided you use the 99 2.5 ECU and add in the two missing pins listed above to the harness.

As far as the conversion harnesses go... I thought that the Phase 1 car plugs to the Phase 2 transmission plugs did not mate up... would I be better off repinning the transmission harness connector to directly fit my car's plugs? Or is none of this even necessary? Some additional wires still have to be run I'm sure.

Edit #3:

Suppose that I could grab any handy Phase 2 Legacy TCU along with that '99 ECU to get me back on the road, and swap out to the proper Sport Shift TCU later? Seems too easy lol

The problem with the Phase 1 TCU and the Phase 2 TCU is the number of pins on each and their corresponding function. Phase 2 has more connections. You'll likely want to snag the TCU and harness from a 99. Trace the wires back to the ECU connector and snip, except for the two that are missing; you would need to de-pin those. Then, trace the connector into the engine bay and that's it, you'll have a segregated 99 TCU Phase 2 transmission harness.

What will happen when I use a non-VTD TCU with a VTD transmission? Maybe I best just get the '03-'04 TCU from the getgo, even if I were to enable the Sport Shift features at a later date. Not really looking forward to running the extra Sport Shift wires from the transmission through the car after the tranny has been mated, though. I stopped into the yard again today to have another look at a Phase 2 setup ('02 Impreza Sport 4EAT) and there's not really enough room to dis/connect most of the left side transmission harness connectors with the transmission in place. I manage to snag the TCU and its cut pigtail connectors, the right side harness near the shift lever, and a couple of engine bay transmission plugs. I was in a rush, so nothing complete, but at least I have something in hand to examine and maybe to start on some conversion harnesses.

EDIT: I just wanted to clarify that I don't think I was suggesting that the '98 car plugs would fit into the Phase 2 TCU sockets; I was simply stating that since two of the three Sport Shift TCU connectors were the same as the two Phase 2 non-SportShift TCU sockets, that any Phase 2 Legacy TCU would temporarily suffice if I couldn't find a Sport Shift TCU right away (by means of rewiring the '98 connectors, building plug adapters, etc.). Which is also frustrating because the '03 Legacy in the U-Pull yard that I saw on Tuesday was gone and crushed by Thursday :( On the other hand, as mentioned above, it was obviously non-VTD, if that feature even makes a difference.

The problem with the Phase 1 TCU and the Phase 2 TCU is the number of pins on each and their corresponding function. Phase 2 has more connections. You'll likely want to snag the TCU and harness from a 99. Trace the wires back to the ECU connector and snip, except for the two that are missing; you would need to de-pin those. Then, trace the connector into the engine bay and that's it, you'll have a segregated 99 TCU Phase 2 transmission harness.

Right, I think I got it:

The '98 car plugs into the '99 2.5 ECU without changing connectors. However, I do have to add two wires that go from '99 ECU to the Phase 2 TCU, because my car doesn't already have those 2 wires. (ECU pins 61 and 78).

The '98 car plugs WON'T directly fit into a Phase 2 TCU, whether it's a '99, '03 Sport Shift, etc. A non-SportShift Phase 2 TCU has 2 sockets and the Sport Shift TCU has 3 sockets, two of which are identical to the non-Sport shift TCU sockets. I have to either cut my car's TCU wires (no way), or de-pin my TCU wires from the '98 TCU plugs and re-pin them into Phase 2 plugs (meh... EDIT: probably the pins are differently sized and wouldn't fit anyway), or leave the car's '98 TCU plugs in place and build an adapter to plug-and-play into the Phase 2 TCU from spare pigtails (sounds great but means I have to find all the components to do this).

There might be one more way to do this - leave my '98 car's original TCU plugs intact, and tap each wire near the plug to a corresponding pigtail wire going to the Phase 2 TCU Plugs, using something like Posi-Taps (a lot of them). I'd have a sort of two-headed harnes end; one head is Phase 1 and the other is Phase 2.

https://www.posi-products.com/posiplug.html

EDIT: Mockup two-headed harness example:

http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g432/camroncamera/20170526_133618_zpsvdukirsm.jpg

Thanks for bearing with me, it's frustrating when I don't have all of the parts laid out in front of me... heck I don't even have my car in the driveway to run out and look in!

Right, I think I got it:

The '98 car plugs into the '99 2.5 ECU without changing connectors. However, I do have to add two wires that go from '99 ECU to the Phase 2 TCU, because my car doesn't already have those 2 wires. (ECU pins 61 and 78).

The '98 car plugs WON'T directly fit into a Phase 2 TCU, whether it's a '99, '03 Sport Shift, etc. A non-SportShift Phase 2 TCU has 2 sockets and the Sport Shift TCU has 3 sockets, two of which are identical to the non-Sport shift TCU sockets. I have to either cut my car's TCU wires (no way), or de-pin my TCU wires from the '98 TCU plugs and re-pin them into Phase 2 plugs (meh... EDIT: probably the pins are differently sized and wouldn't fit anyway), or leave the car's '98 TCU plugs in place and build an adapter to plug-and-play into the Phase 2 TCU from spare pigtails (sounds great but means I have to find all the components to do this).

There might be one more way to do this - leave my '98 car's original TCU plugs intact, and tap each wire near the plug to a corresponding pigtail wire going to the Phase 2 TCU Plugs, using something like Posi-Taps (a lot of them). I'd have a sort of two-headed harnes end; one head is Phase 1 and the other is Phase 2.

https://www.posi-products.com/posiplug.html

Thanks for bearing with me, it's frustrating when I don't have all of the parts laid out in front of me... heck I don't even have my car in the driveway to run out and look in!

You're better off going to the junkyard and finding a 99 Outback/GT with the 2.5 and factory 4EAT.

99 ECU

99 TCU complete wiring harness

99 ECU connector with all leads except the TCU signal wires snipped

You'll need to probably remove the lower part of the dashboard to access the wiring harness on the junkyard car to remove it intact. You'll also need the sport shift transmission harness and merge it with the 99 TCU harness using the wiring diagrams I posted. The install on your car should be easy because you can pretty much mount the TCU and harness anywhere you want in your car.

Here are the options you have for the install:

1.) De-pin your ECU connector and transfer each wire to the new ECU connector (Royal PITA)

2.) De-pin the TCU wires from the 99 ECU connector. De-pin the TCU wires for your 98 ECU connector and insert the 99 TCU wires. (Easier, but still a PITA)

Then, it's a matter of running the plug into the engine bay to talk to the transmission. Since you're wanting the sport shifter, it adds a new level of complexity that I hadn't thought of, but with careful studying of EACH wiring diagram, one could do it.

2.) De-pin the TCU wires from the 99 ECU connector. De-pin the TCU wires for your 98 ECU connector and insert the 99 TCU wires. (Easier, but still a PITA)

Okay so you're saying that the six Phase 1 TCU wires don't correspond to the same 6 (out of 8) Phase 2 TCU wires. I was thinking that I had two blank spots in my ECU pins (#61 and #78) that I could simply add the two additional circuits to the TCU. If one goal is to not de-pin anything on my original car, then maybe an adapter at the ECU is the way to go.

But is that necessary? If I build an adaptor at the TCU connections, I can then put each corresponding wire to the ECU where they need to go, so long as I add 2 additional circuits on two new out-of-the-harness wires that go to ECU pins #61 and #78. Maybe those two wires branch off to the transmission so a direct connection is insufficient.... will have another look at the wiring diagram. (EDIT: Looks like direct connections, with no other branches).

I'll try to sketch a diagram shortly explaining my logic.

EDIT: Rough diagram sketched, going to clean it up and post soon.

EDIT#2: I think I see an issue with the Throttle Position Sensor...?

EDIT #3: Nevermind, the TPS connections are the same between '98 Phase 1 and '99 Phase 2 TCU's

EDIT #4: However, I do see a changeup in TPS connection by Phase 2 Sport Shift TCU; They have moved to from B55 #1 and #2 on the '99 TCU, to B54 #2 and #3 in the Sport Shift. Hmmm.

EDIT #5: The Phase 1 bellhousing harness plug B11 is Grey with 16 contacts; The equivalent Phase 2 B11 plug is Black with 20 contacts. Already I'm 4 wires short just changing phases.

The Inhibitor Switch 12" extension cable that goes from T7 to B5 looks like the same plugs from Phase 1 through Phase 2 Sport Shift, though the actual wire colors differ.

And here is my crappy diagram. Drawing it out helped me understand the connections. The Boxes on the Left are the '99 Phase 2 and '98 Phase 1 TCU's. The boxes at the bottom are the '98 Phase 1 and '99 "Phase 1.5" 2.5L DOHC ECU. Consider the Phase 1 control units as "greyed out", as they would be removed from the '98 Phase 1 car and replaced with the '99 Control Units. The mess in the middle is the factory '98 TCU-to-ECU harness, plus my crappy schematic of the Phase 1 to Phase 2 TCU adapter harness *for ECU connections only*; there are obviously gobs more wires that would need to be "translated" from Phase 1 wiring to Phase 2 TCU plugs. One end of the conversion harness begins with headers or sockets with male pins that match the pattern of the '98 Phase 1 TCU. The other end is the plugs with female terminals to plug into the Phase 2 TCU.

http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g432/camroncamera/20170526_164931_zpstieh1neb.jpg

You'll surely notice the wavy leads that connect TCU B54 #2 and #21 to ECU B84 #61 and #78. I picture in my mind routing some spare wires through the car with the correct terminals at the ends; I don't know that I want to dig through the dash harness of a wrecked '99 to find those two exact wires. I guess I need to study the ECU schematics of the '98 vs. '99 wiring.

EDIT#6: According to the 1998 2.5 Phase 1 ECU diagrams, there is already a wire on the connector going to the #61 position (Anti-Lock Brake System):

http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g432/camroncamera/1998%20Legacy%20engine-controls-2-of-2_ECU%20Circuit%2061%20Highlight_zpsp8ln3wzi.png

Here is the same #61 position on the 1999 ECU (TCU connector B54 position #2):

http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g432/camroncamera/1999%20Legacy%20engine-controls-2-of-2_ECU%20Circuit%2061%20Highlight_zpski5w0glq.png

EDIT #7: Suppose the 1999 TCU simply wants a piece of the Anti-Lock pie?

EDIT #8: Indeed the ABS signal goes to the TCU instead of the ECU; Two signals leave the ABS Control Module at Positions #3 & #31, combine and enter the TCU at connector B56 position #5; this is true for all 1997, 1998, 1999 2.5L Legacy cars with ABS and automatic transmission:

http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g432/camroncamera/1999%20Legacy%20anti-lock-brakes-1-of-1_Circuits%203%20%2031%20Highlight_01_zpsj9yoflda.png

I'm having trouble finding the main Floor Shifter plug connections on the '03 wiring diagrams. I can find the Sport Shift plug B237 (Black) in both the '03 Legacy w/Sport Shift diagram that you (Setnev) linked to earlier in this thread, plus in another one I found... but I can't find the white connector and its leads. It is used in both Sport Shift and Non-SportShift automatics at the floor shifter. I'm not even sure what the correct name for this connection is. I noticed that the black Sport Shift plug has a Violet with White Stripe (VIO/WHT) wire, and the White plug has as solid Violet wire (with silver hatch marks, as every one of these pigtail wires seem to have):

http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g432/camroncamera/20170529_013108_zpsbbirrbyl.jpg

http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g432/camroncamera/2003%20Legacy%20transmissions-a-t-circuit-w-sport-shift-1-of-2_Circuit%20B237%202%20to%20TCU%20B55%2013%20_01_zpsfhjwyddy.png

I can't find the solid Violet wire on any of the diagrams, but I know it's not just a JDM plug; it's also the main Floor Shifter plug in that '03 that I saw in the yard last week. The wires (clockwise when viewing the terminal ends) are Violet (solid), Blue with Yellow Stripe, Black (solid), Black (solid), Red (solid), Black (solid):

http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g432/camroncamera/20170523_170423_zpsezmtcjf8.jpg

EDIT: I think I've figured it out. It connects to the Shift Interlock system. The purple wire is listed in the diagram as "Blu" and connects from the Floor Shifter to the Integrated Module connector B280 Position #5:

http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g432/camroncamera/2003%20Legacy%20shift-interlock-1-of-1_Inhibitor%20Switch%20Circuit%209%20to%20IM%20B280%205%20_01_zpsvhgprqxw.png

EDIT #2: No, I think the violet wire is not for the Inhibitor Switch circuit; actually I believe it is simply the illumination circuit for the floor shifter PRND321 face:

http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g432/camroncamera/2003%20Legacy%20interior-lights-instrument-illumination-circuit-1-of-1_Violet%20Wire_AT%20Shifter_01_zpsedrtfd8a.png

If I still had the shifter in hand to examine I probably would have realized this right away. Fortunately I took lots of photos of the unit for examination before leaving the shifter with the car:

http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g432/camroncamera/20170519_011230_zpsbuqqxxgk.jpg

http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g432/camroncamera/20170519_011323_zpsj5rj0yi2.jpg

EDIT #3: I believe the white Floor Shifter plug, found on both Sport Shift and Non-SportShift assemblies, is B116 for A/T Shift Lock Control. However, figuring out where the leads go depends on which third-gen Legacy A/T Control diagram I am looking at. Seems that the Shift Lock Control Module of Gen 2 and Gen 3 '00-'02 Legacy was replaced by the Integrated Module by MY '03-'04. I don't think I want to change the '98 Shift Lock Control Module for the '03-'04 Integrated Module if I don't have to.

The 1997 Shift Lock Control Module wiring diagram:

http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g432/camroncamera/1997%20Subaru%20Legacy%20Wiring%20Diagram_Pg%2022_01_zpsteniwbm7.png

(I had to look up the color code for the earlier wire notations):

Color code Color

L Blue

B Black

Y Yellow

G Green

R Red

W White

Br Brown

Lg Light green

Gr Gray

P Pink

Or Orange

Lb Light Blue

V Violet

SA Sealed (Inner)

SB Sealed (Outer)

http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g432/camroncamera/1997%20Legacy%20Wiring%20Diagram%20General%20Description_Pg-03_Wire%20Color%20Codes_zpsamrghykv.png

The 2002 Shift Lock Control Module wiring diagram:

http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g432/camroncamera/2002%20Legacy%20AT%20Shift%20Lock%20Control%20System_Pg-02_zps6lewbq2i.png

The 2003 Integrated Module wiring diagram:

http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g432/camroncamera/2003%20Legacy%20shift-interlock-1-of-1_zpsqdmwfptt.png

EDIT #4: That purple wire from the '03 Shifter Illumination Plug will go to Connector R5. I don't think it really matters which of Position #1 or Position #2 it goes to, unless you retrofit an LED in there which has specific polarity:

http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g432/camroncamera/1997%20Subaru%20Legacy%20Wiring%20Diagram_Pg-58_AT%20Shift%20Illum_01_zpswctmpsqz.png

I connected the purple wire to Position #2 on my Phase1-to-Phase2 Shifter Adapter:

http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g432/camroncamera/20170530_172018_zpspfu071tm.jpg

EDIT #5: Here is the completed Phase 1 to Sport Shift adapter. This by itself does not add any Sport Shift features, but hopefully will allow the use of a Sport Shift floor assembly for standard PRND321 gear selection and illumination in a Phase 1 car:

http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g432/camroncamera/20170530_181622_zpswypnool4.jpg

Whoa, information overload....let's start from the top now that I've had time to research what you're saying

Okay so you're saying that the six Phase 1 TCU wires don't correspond to the same 6 (out of 8) Phase 2 TCU wires. I was thinking that I had two blank spots in my ECU pins (#61 and #78) that I could simply add the two additional circuits to the TCU. If one goal is to not de-pin anything on my original car, then maybe an adapter at the ECU is the way to go.

Correct, the Phase 1 TCU wires do not trace back to the same place on the ECU as on the Phase 2. You don't need to adapt anything on the ECU connector, just add in two pins and wire tap the common wires from a Phase 2 TCU input. The problem with building a ECU adapter is finding a female header to plug into. I had to build mine from a desoldered ECU board to adapt my Phase 2 engine harness.

But is that necessary? If I build an adaptor at the TCU connections, I can then put each corresponding wire to the ECU where they need to go, so long as I add 2 additional circuits on two new out-of-the-harness wires that go to ECU pins #61 and #78. Maybe those two wires branch off to the transmission so a direct connection is insufficient.... will have another look at the wiring diagram. (EDIT: Looks like direct connections, with no other branches).

The problem with the reusing the Phase 1 wiring from the TCU to the transmission is the wire under the hood that goes to the transmission. The FSM does not clearly state what each individual wire on the harness does for the transmission, thus making an adapter even harder to simply use "like wires". The only way I see this possible is if you were to just simply use the existing wiring as a "vessel" for the start and end or the adapter harness, similar to how I built the adapted engine harness. In simplest terms here is what I mean:

For example: Say my Phase 2 ECU Wire Color is Blue/Yellow. It needs to terminate at the combination plug under the hood, but no such color exists on the Phase 1 harness. I looked at the wires from the ECU and I traced a wire from the Phase 1 harness to the engine connector (say the wire is White/Blue) and hooked up the Blue/Yellow wire on my female conversion harness.

Everything else looks like you're well on your way to figuring out the sport shifter harness. That is the part I have absolutely zero experience in, since I've never owned a Subaru with it.

Now taking my advice about a donor harness from a 3rd gen with sport shifter will definitely be the way to go. With a donor harness, you get all the plugs in the right place, the correct plug for the transmission, the plugs for the shifter, and all you need to do is feed the ECU the two wires and the TCU needs the ABS signal input.

Archived