LegacyGT.com

What to replace while the engine is out

I have a 2009 GT 5eat with 130k on the engine and 150k on the body. The headgaskets are blown and will be replaced within the next few days. The timing belt and water pump were replaced 30k ago but I'll do them again. I was wondering what else I should replace while the engine is out. It is currently stage 2 with a catless tbe and the only other mod is a tranny cooler. I may want to add more power in the future (turbo, tmic, injectors, etc) but not positive due to the age of the 5eat. Would forged pistons be a reasonable option? Current shopping list is as follows:

Gasket kit

ARP head studs

Gates timing belt and water pump

Thermostat

Thanks for any help.

See my click here link.

read the sticky at the top of this forum

don't get the Gates kit, it's not that good any more. I suggest you get a Dayco kit from most any auto parts store.

Might want to get a OEM water pump and thermostat.

Also new oil return hose from the turbo.

Contact Brian at www.tuningalliance.com or www.AZPinstalls.com they can get you what you need, tell them I sent you.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

don't get the Gates kit, it's not that good any more. I suggest you get a Dayco kit from most any auto parts store.

Might want to get a OEM water pump and thermostat.

Also new oil return hose from the turbo.

Exactly skip the gates go OEM on the pump (doubt that yours is worn out or even close to failing) and thermo.

Okay will do, thanks for the replies. I've read both threads, was just wondering if there was anything else specific to my situation with the possibility of adding more power in the future. So now my updated list is

Head gasket kit

ARP head studs

Oem water pump & gasket

Dayco timing belt kit

Oem thermostat

Turbo oil return hose

I've also decided to add a lightweight crank pulley and group N engine mounts for the hell of it.

Should I go oem for the oil return hose? Or is it worth it to go with an aftermarket one like the IAG for ~$130

$130 for a oil return hose ?

Its a $20 part or less. If you search for oil resistant hose you may find a piece you can cut to length.

https://www.google.com/search?site=&source=hp&q=oil+resistant+hose&oq=oil+resistant&gs_l=hp.1.4.0l10.1534.6592.0.11221.14.14.0.0.0.0.157.1262.10j3.13.0....0...1.1.64.hp..1.12.1122.0..0i131k1j0i20k1.itq7o73_Iys

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• 2 months later...

The one thing that I didn't know about until it failed on me.....

I wish I had replaced the exhaust cam gears, the composite can get brittle and break. I didn't see any cracks, but after 7K on the engine with no issues, one exploded just driving down the street one morning, no load, low rpm, just a big bang.

For a probable second rebuild for a 65 dollar gear, I am not happy.

Passenger side.

Just got the new gear in yesterday, now to dismantle mangled timing covers and see if anything else is majorly screwed up. If the cams all turn ok by hand, I plan to install both new exhaust gears and all 4 TIC bolts, and do compression and leakdown tests, then maybe try to fire it up.

Not worrying about the covers until I know if I am pulling the thing back out or not.

Archived