LegacyGT.com

Hood Struts?

elvin315

• 2 years later...

Sorry to bump an old thread but I'm looking to DIY some hood struts. Is there any detailed pictures of the brackets?

Any idea of the correct part for the ball end the looks to be threaded into the location of where a bolt used to be?

Any finally what struts to use. I do see GC8 struts were mentioned, I assume I could look up the part number by looking at hatch support struts? The ones Dead Mr. used look a little long (holding the hood up a bit too far) which might make reaching the hood a bit more annoying rather then the stock height.

I had found those but I think they require drilling? I rather not drill anything and like how the DIY mounts to the hood hinge and existing threads of the fender. And with the DIY I can source my struts else where. (Those would cost close to $200 by the time I got them here sadly)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I’ll try and find the list of stuff I used to make mines. No drilling involved but you’ll need to make a support bracket for the lower mount that comes with the struts I used.

Angled Lift Support Bracket Outside Mount - Zinc Plated 10 Gauge Steel - 10mm Ball Stud - Gas Shock Mounting - Lid Strut Prop Spring Mount https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074R6GT2W/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_fdypCbSRM3KHG

Two Front Hood Gas Charged Lift Supports With 4 Replacement Studs and Washers for 1990-1994 Lexus LS400. Left and Right Side. WGS-244-2 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GD4N2O8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_6dypCbC29RBQC

• 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Sorry for bringing this thread back from the dead, and if there’s a thread explaining my inquiry I’m sorry for asking again.

So basically I went to the junk yard and found good struts from 2009+ wrx hatchback, I grabbed them to use on my 07 legacy gt I haven’t tried putting them on because I don’t want to drill holes if it doesn’t fit, so my question would be, will these struts from an 09 wrx hood fit on the legacy gt? Or are the dimensions different, will it close all the way? (The hood struts not the struts that lift the hatch)

Thanks