LegacyGT.com

Suspension choices

That parts.subaru.com link doesn't appear to be for the full strut assembly, just the shock absorber. If it was the full assembly, it'd definitely be worth it, since you could just pull the old one and drop in the new one with minimal effort.

Also, I found it amusing that in a Google image search for the full part number, more of the "real" (as in not line drawings) pictures were of Koni installs than of new shock absorbers. It's like the internet is trying to tell us something...

That parts.subaru.com link doesn't appear to be for the full strut assembly, just the shock absorber. If it was the full assembly, it'd definitely be worth it, since you could just pull the old one and drop in the new one with minimal effort.

Also, I found it amusing that in a Google image search for the full part number, more of the "real" (as in not line drawings) pictures were of Koni installs than of new shock absorbers. It's like the internet is trying to tell us something...

Interesting. I'll have to call the dealer to ask what that item is. I was assuming strut complete = everything. I just need to pull the current assembly and stick this complete strut in.

I'm kinda hesitant to do spring swap since I don't have all the tools and doesn't have a 2nd set of car to run it to the shop.

$54 per strut and $30 per spring adds up to less that 118. Check out rockauto.com and parts.camelbacksubaru.com

Thanks. I'll check those out. Rockauto only listed rear struts. They don't have the fronts. Autoanything.com have the front in stock and it is $78/strut front and $68/rear strut.

So I've decided to go with KYB struts and reuse everything else. How hard is it to compress the springs using the hand-tool spring compressor?

And the bolts for the rear struts are in the trunk?

Found the answer:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/clamshell-style-spring-compressor-255263.html?t=255263&highlight=compress

Just rent an outer strut spring conmpresor from your local Autozone, lube the threads up good, put them on and tighten until the load just comes off the hat. Do not tighten until the coils of the spring touch. I'm sure there is a generic youtube vid on his.

Archived