LegacyGT.com

Clutch Problems?????

BLACKNYGT

Last night on my way home from work I had a little problem with my clutch not engaging. As anybody who lives in the north east knows is has been rainig its ass off up here for the past 5 days (I don't know if thats important), so I am stuck in traffic and I see an opening to change lanes so I hit the gas in 1st and get a little bit of tire spin at about 4500rpm so I shift to second and when I let the clutch out in second the car goes nowhere and the revs go up as I hit the gas but the car doesn't move. thinking that it might be in nutral I pesh the clutch back in and shift into second agian but it was already there. I let the clutch out again and it grabs but I immediately get that burnt clutch smell that is the strongest I have ever smelled. The first time I shifted into second I didn't feather the clutch more of an abrupt shift because I was trying to trying to change lanes and did'nt want to get hit. The car only has 10,000 miles on it what the hell could this be and has it happened to anybody else???

It's not a common problem, but is something that's been reported before. Someone will probably try to blame it on the Clutch delay valve, however i think thats been disproven. (to the fact that we don't even have a CDV, i believe.)

I think the new consensus on this is the dual mass flywheel or pressure plate might be cuasing it to happen.

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19874

Clutch delay valve or something of that nature. You might have slipped it a bit in 1st heated it up and it didn't want to grab 2nd. It has happened to me, I really don't like this clutch at all. I'm at 30k right now, I have slipped it a few times and it sure does let me know it's mad at me.

Do we know for a fact if this car even has a CDV? Precision Tuning was supposed to take out one for an 05 LGT, Kaptan..wonder if he ever had it done.

I have talked to my dealer and he said that they are hearing that problem from a couple of their customers and they are not sure how they are going to adress it. He was going to contact SOA and see if they had anymore feedback on this increasingly common complaint. He did tell me to bring the car to him next week and he was going to dive into it and see if there was something that was actually going bad or if was just the caracteristics of this particular clutch. Thanks for the help it makes me feel a lot better knowing that I am not the only one who is having this prob.

I have talked to my dealer and he said that they are hearing that problem from a couple of their customers and they are not sure how they are going to adress it. He was going to contact SOA and see if they had anymore feedback on this increasingly common complaint. He did tell me to bring the car to him next week and he was going to dive into it and see if there was something that was actually going bad or if was just the caracteristics of this particular clutch. Thanks for the help it makes me feel a lot better knowing that I am not the only one who is having this prob.

What dealer in westchester? I live here in westchester too...and the Rye boys SUCK when it comes to complaints.

I heard that we don't have the CDV in our cars. I read that in another post on this forum, but I forget which one.

check the link in my post (first reply)

Not a CDV issue... Pressure plate/ throwout bearing issue. Because a CDV does not exist. That thing on the bottom of the master cylnder is a fluid vibration dampener. All you are doing is removing a vibration damper that has nothing to do with delaying the clutch.

If you have ever seen a CDV you will recognize it. Its a little extention that sits off on the side of the slave cylnder. WRX's have it. On the LGT it DOES NOT exist. The link is misleading because it shows a WRX assembly. The legacy gt assembly does not resemble that assembly. Because the car comes stock with the CDV missing :lol:

You can sidestep the clutch all say long with no load and it wont skip a beat. Once you put some high torque on it it slips or gets stuck... Its a classic pressure plate/ TOB problem.

I kinda find it funny cause everybody is blaming a non existant part. i swear the next time I see CDV im gonna freak :lol:

I have no idea how this rumor started but all its gonna do is cause some poor sap to waste his weekend removing his vibe dampener and burning his clutch monday cause he thought he got rid of the problem.

If you need a good dealer all the ones in westchester SUCK I go to Colonial Subaru in Danbury it is wroth the trip the service dept. up there rocks and I have already spoken to the service manager up there and he is going to work with me on this until we get it solved.

• 6 months later...

I was hoping that my issue was just a random happening, now I'm sad to see that it's almost a common thing.

Driving home today I down shifted to forth and hit the gas and I go nowhere and just hear my engine windup, the I think I'm in nuetral and hit the clutch and yes, it's already on the floor!!! I almost pull over but it pops back out after a jab it. And then "the stintch". The clutch is the only thing that really gets me about these cars...

your clutch is on it's way out. Mine did the same after a few trips to the track. Dual mass is a POS (imo) and the clamping force of the stock pressure plate isn't much better.

2012 Forester XT. Stage 2+

Retired from Racing. I used to build FMIC and more.

You have to be kidding me!!! my car only has ~4500 miles and has only been street driven and not even hard at that.

It's under warranty! Bring it back in for a replacement. This sounds like you have one of the defective pressure plates.

Archived