LegacyGT.com

Legacy vs Jetta 2.0?

The driving experience of a 5th gen and a 6th gen is completely different. Subaru reprogrammed the CVT for the 6th gen. They included fake shift points to make it feel more like a conventional auto. At first it took me a little bit of time to get used to the 6th Gen after driving the 5th Gen CVT for 2 1/5 years. Now I don't notice the fake shift points anymore. One thing is for sure, the 6th gen is quieter and more refined.
---

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I picked up a 2013 2.5i with the CVT about a month ago and so far I love it.

I've honestly only used the paddle shifters twice since I bought it, the first time I thought it was a fun feature but after the second time using them the novelty kinda wore off.

Overall the car drives great even though the CVTs can be a bit more gutless than a regular auto trans but I think (from what I read online and from what others have said) with a few mods the handling & performance can be better.

Getting into a Legacy with a CVT wasn't my preferred option but I couldn't pass up the deal I got on it and I haven't regretted trading in my old car yet.

The 5th Gen is sweet for car seats. I have to use two for my 3 and 6 year old and it was night and day over my Speed6 for install and room. They even have flaps for access to the Latch anchors. Suspension wise my 14' 3.6r is ahead of the Speed6 in handling too. As much as people bitch about the 5eat auto, for my 14' it seems quite responsive and is hardly ever in the wrong gear. Its far better than my 4eat WRX ever was. I have no faith in CVT. Every MFG that has used it has abandoned them, makes you wonder why accept Nissan and Subaru ( I may be missing a few here so don't shoot me). Its a great kid hauler.

I picked up a 2013 2.5i with the CVT about a month ago and so far I love it.

I've honestly only used the paddle shifters twice since I bought it, the first time I thought it was a fun feature but after the second time using them the novelty kinda wore off.

Overall the car drives great even though the CVTs can be a bit more gutless than a regular auto trans but I think (from what I read online and from what others have said) with a few mods the handling & performance can be better.

Getting into a Legacy with a CVT wasn't my preferred option but I couldn't pass up the deal I got on it and I haven't regretted trading in my old car yet.

Thanks - I will definitely focus my search on a manual transmission. I've never been one to modify my cars (because I don't have the skill, to be honest), but if I do have to get a CVT, then perhaps some mods would be in order.

The driving experience of a 5th gen and a 6th gen is completely different. Subaru reprogrammed the CVT for the 6th gen. They included fake shift points to make it feel more like a conventional auto. At first it took me a little bit of time to get used to the 6th Gen after driving the 5th Gen CVT for 2 1/5 years. Now I don't notice the fake shift points anymore. One thing is for sure, the 6th gen is quieter and more refined.

I'm still learning here - so you are saying the transmission was changed from 2014 to 2015 models? I test drove a 2015 (which is what made me start considering it in the first place). Is the difference something I would notice driving some winding back road?

Again, thank you all. I've been really impressed with how helpful this forum has been!

I think I've decided to look primarily for a 2013-2014 Legacy with a manual.

The only other vehicles potentially in the mix would be the Crosstrek & Forester or a Honda Accord. If anyone has an input on how the driving experience would compare, particularly on hilly & winding roads, I would appreciate it.

Thanks!

The cvt is going to constantly be improved at this point it is not to the level of completeness the 5eat or previous 4eat were. So getting the newest car possible will get you the latest software and cvt version.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Chiming in a little late, but I have a '14 2.5i with the CVT and I love it. Had it almost 3 years and no regrets at all. Traded from a '10 Corolla, so definitely a worthwhile upgrade for me from that 1.8.

I test drove an Accord Sport back then (2014 model) and was overall unimpressed. Power wasn't bad, but I didn't enjoy it. I felt disconnected from the car. And the turning radius on it was surprisingly terrible. Was like parking a crew cab truck with an extended bed (a little exaggeration there). Just felt underwhelming when I compared the two side-by-side. That made my decision easy from that point.

Hope that helps!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chiming in a little late, but I have a '14 2.5i with the CVT and I love it. Had it almost 3 years and no regrets at all. Traded from a '10 Corolla, so definitely a worthwhile upgrade for me from that 1.8.

I test drove an Accord Sport back then (2014 model) and was overall unimpressed. Power wasn't bad, but I didn't enjoy it. I felt disconnected from the car. And the turning radius on it was surprisingly terrible. Was like parking a crew cab truck with an extended bed (a little exaggeration there). Just felt underwhelming when I compared the two side-by-side. That made my decision easy from that point.

Hope that helps!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks! Not too late, and definitely helpful!

The crosstrek is underpowered comparatively, but gets better gas mileage albeit just slightly. I do know the door openings are larger on the Legacy which is nice. Rear seat room is also better on the Legacy.

Any reason in particular you are avoiding the forester? It has the best mix of both worlds, space and economy. It is a bit lower quality finish, but is still a very solid vehicle especially for utility, it would be my first choice in that respect.

The crosstrek is underpowered comparatively, but gets better gas mileage albeit just slightly. I do know the door openings are larger on the Legacy which is nice. Rear seat room is also better on the Legacy.

Any reason in particular you are avoiding the forester? It has the best mix of both worlds, space and economy. It is a bit lower quality finish, but is still a very solid vehicle especially for utility, it would be my first choice in that respect.

That the Crosstrek is underpowered is my biggest concern with it. I'm not sure how the manual transmission would help in that regard.

The space issue on the Crosstrek v. Legacy is seems to be a toss-up. The extra back seat room in Legacy would be nice, but the rear storage of the Crosstrek would be nice too.

I decided against the Forester because while the added utility would be nice, I don't need utility nearly as much as I need a car that will be a fun & reliable daily driver. Plus the Forester seem to be a bit more expensive. The right Forester at the right price would definitely be an option, but I'm just narrowing my focus on MT Legacy or Crosstrek.

The Crosstrek is the only subaru where a manual hasn't seemed to help if you are going with a manual the Legacy should be the option. If you want a fun to drive forester you would need to look at an XT, unfortunately the newer models are really geared toward comfort.

Go to a dealership and test drive both and see what you like better.

Isn't a Crosstrek basically a lifted Impreza? When you break it down. If you don't think you'd need the extra clearance, could go with an Impreza wagon MT?

I'm not positive because I haven't driven any of the Impreza models but I would believe the Legacy would ride more comfortable and have a nicer interior than the Crosstrek.

When I purchased my car I considered all kinds of things:

Gas Mileage

Space

Comfort

Interior/Sound System

Engine Performance/Handling

Insurance Cost

Maintenance/Reliability

Best to think on it, test drive one, test drive another and don't rush it.

The Crosstrek is the only subaru where a manual hasn't seemed to help if you are going with a manual the Legacy should be the option. If you want a fun to drive forester you would need to look at an XT, unfortunately the newer models are really geared toward comfort.

Thanks! Good to know. I definitely want to try to find a manual if I can. I'd test drive them both...but logistics makes that impossible (at least right now).

I'll keep an eye out for a Forester XT.

The guys were covering things so well, that I was not going to add my .02, but chores are done for the day, so...

I am a retired guy, who during the last few years, has made a few bucks driving for Subaru. I drive 'em all... Long and short distances. The different 5th gen models that are being suggested are all good, but are truly very different from one another. The Forester is wonderful, as long as one wishes something larger, in which one sits higher. The Impreza/Crosstrek is significantly smaller, and more nimble. The Legacy is right in the middle. Depending on the trim model of each, one goes from the basics to lots of toys. As the level of toys go up, the overall cabin noise goes down. The middle model has always been a nice overall median, for many. Including me.

As the guys say, you must drive them, and make your own decision. You came here with Legacy questions, and from what you have said, the Legacy still seems the best choice for your needs and driving wants. If you are not totally satisfied with all parameters in your Legacy choice, you have come to the right place to upgrade different systems as much as you desire, and as your funds will allow. This place could often get multiple Enabler of the Year Awards...

I wanted a 6MT Legacy, and learned that 2012 Legacies were to be the last middle model - Premium- N/A Legacies available with 6MT. After that, the base model would house the 6MT for a bit, and then it would be nuked completely. That sad state of affairs has come to be.

I also wanted one of the old EJ series engines, as I was a bit leery of the new engine. Timing chains are great, with no timing belt change needed at 100,00+ miles, but if the chain system goes bad, it is not pretty. 'Thinner' oil is great for gas mileage, but the old oil worked just fine for a very long time... Etc. Different strokes... No pun intended.

Historically, I always purchased pre-owned Subarus. Since 1981. We have driven some farther than to the moon... But this time, I purchased new. I have not been disappointed. With the help of the denizens of this board, I listened and learned, and added things to my car over the last 5 years, to make it much more enjoyable, overall.

Most, but not all, OEM accessories missing on a 6MT post 2012 base Legacy can be added later. Those that are not available OEM, can often be added, through after market suppliers. Ex.: We have found that a number of accessories meant for the WRX, will fit our cars.

Sure, check out the Imprezas/Crosstreks and Foresters. If you finally decide on a 6MT N/A Legacy, you will find a lot of help here, to help you make it what you wish. Including me...

I wish you the best in your search.

Byll

The guys were covering things so well, that I was not going to add my .02, but chores are done for the day, so...

I am a retired guy, who during the last few years, has made a few bucks driving for Subaru. I drive 'em all... Long and short distances. The different 5th gen models that are being suggested are all good, but are truly very different from one another. The Forester is wonderful, as long as one wishes something larger, in which one sits higher. The Impreza/Crosstrek is significantly smaller, and more nimble. The Legacy is right in the middle. Depending on the trim model of each, one goes from the basics to lots of toys. As the level of toys go up, the overall cabin noise goes down. The middle model has always been a nice overall median, for many. Including me.

As the guys say, you must drive them, and make your own decision. You came here with Legacy questions, and from what you have said, the Legacy still seems the best choice for your needs and driving wants. If you are not totally satisfied with all parameters in your Legacy choice, you have come to the right place to upgrade different systems as much as you desire, and as your funds will allow. This place could often get multiple Enabler of the Year Awards...

I wanted a 6MT Legacy, and learned that 2012 Legacies were to be the last middle model - Premium- N/A Legacies available with 6MT. After that, the base model would house the 6MT for a bit, and then it would be nuked completely. That sad state of affairs has come to be.

I also wanted one of the old EJ series engines, as I was a bit leery of the new engine. Timing chains are great, with no timing belt change needed at 100,00+ miles, but if the chain system goes bad, it is not pretty. 'Thinner' oil is great for gas mileage, but the old oil worked just fine for a very long time... Etc. Different strokes... No pun intended.

Historically, I always purchased pre-owned Subarus. Since 1981. We have driven some farther than to the moon... But this time, I purchased new. I have not been disappointed. With the help of the denizens of this board, I listened and learned, and added things to my car over the last 5 years, to make it much more enjoyable, overall.

Most, but not all, OEM accessories missing on a 6MT post 2012 base Legacy can be added later. Those that are not available OEM, can often be added, through after market suppliers. Ex.: We have found that a number of accessories meant for the WRX, will fit our cars.

Sure, check out the Imprezas/Crosstreks and Foresters. If you finally decide on a 6MT N/A Legacy, you will find a lot of help here, to help you make it what you wish. Including me...

I wish you the best in your search.

Byll

Byll, thanks so much for adding your .02! That was incredibly helpful. I appreciate the wisdom! You've given me a lot of assurance that the Legacy is the right direction for me. Thanks!

I've never done much modification, but this forum will be a valuable resource!

I'm hoping to make a road trip to look at some options as soon as my responsibilities allow.

The first option is a gray 2014 with 50,942 miles, listed for $15,592. Gray or silver is my favorite color, but the milage seems a little high. I noticed on the CARFAX that the drive belt(s) were replaced, but I don't know if that's a good thing or bad thing, to be honest. This one is closer.

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?listingId=436546678&hideBackLink=true&Log=0

The second is a blue 2013 with 36,986 miles, listed for $15,177. It seems like a really good option too. It's a little farther, and I don't like the color as much, but seems like a good car. There are no photos of the actual car on the website.

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?listingId=441407815&hideBackLink=true&Log=0

Option 3 is a blue 2014 with 28,172 listed at $15,387

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?listingId=437404726&hideBackLink=true&Log=0

You guys know this stuff 1000x better than me - what'd you think?

If option 2 is subaru certified then I'd pick that one. Otherwise I'd go for option 3. That decision is based just on remaining warranty... you may want to look into service history.

As for option 1, replaced belts doesn't concern me. I could imagine a dealer upselling that during an oil change.

Thank you all! I was just able to purchase a 2014 Legacy 2.5i with a 6-speed. I'm really happy with it. Thanks so much for your help! This has been the most helpful forum post I think I've ever experienced. Thanks again!

Congrats! now let the bad *cough* influence commence!

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

I'll try to get some photos up soon.

I'll explore around the forums here to see what kind of modifications I might try to get into with my very limited know-how.

One thing I am pretty sure I want to right off the bat is upgrade the steering wheel some how to add a bit more grip, and maybe a new shift knob.

Archived