LegacyGT.com

To rebuild or not to rebuild.

elpete77

Well, after 11 years of being faithful to each other, my wagon decided to crack a piston, or at least that's what it looks like. Compression test shows 3 cylinders at about 130, 1 cylinder at 25. Ran a camera in there and piston looks cracked. And just as I was planning to sell it and buy a 4runner:lol:

Now I must decide if I should rebuild the motor in my garage, or just sell the car for parts or a project.

Thanks Obama!

Limited. Stock turbo.

Gimme 4K and I'll have it towed to your house. For $4010, I'll include a cold six-pack of beer. For an extra 4 grand, I'll throw in my 76 Ford f150 4x4, which would be great for taking the block to and from the machine shop.:lol::lol::lol:

Considering it would cost me $5k to rebuild it the way I want, $3k is about the max I could do. I am very serious though. Not sure the wife would approve but that is a battle for another day. Could possibly have a trailer up there for it this weekend. Give an extra $200 if you can tow it to my driveway. Ill provide the beer so you can say your goodbyes.

black leather and is it 5spd or auto?

It will be rebuilt, question is will you do it or the next guy right? If you were already thinking moving away from it to a 4runner, I'd probably look to sell as is, I think it would go quick soon as you posted it. Seems like there is room to flip it.

I rebuilt mine at 100K and no regrets, 155K and counting up nowadays.

5mt, tan leather.

the honest question is this: having built half a dozen SB chevy and ford motors, and being reasonably capable, is this a build I could realistically do in my garage? I've been reading on some of the nuances of these motors and I'm not so sure.

Is it doable in a garage? Very, I've assisted in 4 motor swaps now and it is really not all that nuanced. Personally I would pull and strip the long block, buy an OEM short block,gasket kit, oil cooler, timing belt/waterpump. I would deliver the long block for disassembly and head removal/polish and adjustment at a machine shop (Subaru competent) then have them assemble the block with heads. I would take care of the rest.

Figure done right

$1800 short block maybe mild built with forged internal for $2500ish

$800 gaskets, oil cooler, spark plugs, timing belt, pulleys, water pump

$1000 machine shop labor

$1200 new turbo and oil line

Clutch? $500

So the way I would do it puts you ballpark $5-5500.

That's where I got the $3k from. Realistically private sale maybe $11-12k.

I take all the risk. But am more then willing. I'm up to check it out for sure.

then you'll see the intercooler is probably leaking, plastic end take radiator due for crackage, more head work than anticipated puts more seals, valve stem guides, machine time in motion, since you've come this far, yes clutch for sure, goddam dual mass OEM flywheel then haunts you and prompts chasing a WRX take off to surface, can't find that so you pop on a new one, sales tax, on and on. Gex I think you get to 6K or up fast.

3K is solid offer for both of you I think from my seat...."I take the risk" is right on point. This car makes more sense for someone who wants to rebuild it and OWN it.....but most of us on here already own one :)

Following. Hopefully this wagon will stay somewhat local. I'll miss occasionally seeing it around MV though. If I was in a situation to afford it I'd be on the way with a trailer. I'd love to have a white wagon along with my black one.

2005 Vader Wagon

Material Tests on Ringland Failure Piston

I should have held off and purchased a wagon instead of the spec.B

It has arrived. Pete I promise she is in good hands. Can't wait to make it healthy.

29995868863_3a23d2ef2f_z_d.jpg

Check the classifieds. I can drive up on a weekend if you want the cosworth engine in there.

2005 Vader Wagon

Material Tests on Ringland Failure Piston

I should have held off and purchased a wagon instead of the spec.B

Archived