LegacyGT.com

My take on the 5th gen

I have a 2010 Premium 2.5i.

Coming from a 04 Galant, it is a nice change.

-Acceleration: Definitely not as responsive since the Galant has traditional and CVT on this one. I had about an inch or so play before the car really takes off. I drove another CVT before and it was not that bad compared to this. I have to let the car roll off and ease in the pedal at a dead stop to avoid that lurch.

Other than the rubbery feeling, straight line acceleration is good. Not peppy but good.

-Transmission: oh the CVT. It's butter smooth compared to the Galant for sure but it's rubbery. If i need speed, I'll need to either floor and try to trick the CVT to go lower gears or switch to paddle. If I floored my Galant, the car will redline fast and just zip off. CVT is definitely not my fav but for now live-able

-Tires: Stock is 205 width. Understandable in snow but not in anywhere else, even in rain. The galant comes 215 standard and 225 +0 tires on stock 16. I missed the grip on windies. Next tires will need to be little wider.

-Brake: The play!!!! This brake is soft and a lot of other members express similar concern. This car is heavy. So why soft brakes? I have quite some pedal play before the brake fully engage. Even then, 60-0 stop is mediocre. Brake lines are good w/o leaks or air. Rotors and pads are new and broken in. The front even includes dual pistons so I have no idea why it is so soft in this car. I'll need to gauge even further to start braking compared to the galant. Given that I'm not a last-minute brake slammer. Worst gripe

-Suspension: Soft and cushioned. I like it. Comapred to the Galant with stock springs and KYB GR-2 which bounces over bumps and curbs, the Legacy is like a pillow everywhere. A definite must have for a commute car. But the body roll in corners is sad. I'm going to have to replace the RSB with either 19-20mm STI RSB.

Overall: I like the car except brakes and body rolls. I'm trying to keep the car as much stock as possible.

Future mods:

20mm STI RSB

OEM tweeters+woofer

Wider track tires.

You can fit some pretty massive wheels and tires if you want to. The LGT comes stock with 225/45 tires on 18x7.5 inch rims. We have some people running 19x9 inch rims, and I think there's one or two people who have even gone with 20 inch rims. So, if you want to go wider on the tires, you could go all the way to 245 width tires quite easily, or even wider if you really wanted to sit down and figure out the fit.

You can fit some pretty massive wheels and tires if you want to. The LGT comes stock with 225/45 tires on 18x7.5 inch rims. We have some people running 19x9 inch rims, and I think there's one or two people who have even gone with 20 inch rims. So, if you want to go wider on the tires, you could go all the way to 245 width tires quite easily, or even wider if you really wanted to sit down and figure out the fit.

Ive seen the lgt or non turbo w 19 wheels n they are just ridiculous look wise. My goal is just to widen the track to afford to grip and driving habit i was used to with in the galant. So 225 is the max ill go.

well by the time 2013/14 rolls around the CVT and engine are new, the tires are slightly wider at 215 50R17 and the brakes are firmed up a bit... not to mention they tamed that body roll just a bit...

I heard wonders for the 2015 onward but i am sticking to this car for a few years. Possibly run it to the ground with the bars n such. Then a forester xt will be next on my radar. Unless they bring back the lgt. :spin:

The brakes are controlled by the computer, hit the pedal fast and hard and see what happens to the 60-0 distance. The electronic brake force distribution will increase brake activation when it senses a panic stop, regardless of feel your car will stop when you need it to and probably quicker than many other cars on the road.

If you wanted performance, you definitely bought the wrong car. Adjust your expectations and you will be more than happy with it as a comfy cruiser, just as it was intended to be :)

The brakes are controlled by the computer, hit the pedal fast and hard and see what happens to the 60-0 distance. The electronic brake force distribution will increase brake activation when it senses a panic stop, regardless of feel your car will stop when you need it to and probably quicker than many other cars on the road.

If you wanted performance, you definitely bought the wrong car. Adjust your expectations and you will be more than happy with it as a comfy cruiser, just as it was intended to be :)

Indeed. I wasn't expecting a sporty ride car but the brake, coming from a super sticky brake car (08 accord, 04 galant and the likes), is different. I usually feather the brake to slow down and this car is a bit different. Definitely a cruiser I've been wanting tho.

• 2 weeks later...

-Acceleration: Definitely not as responsive since the Galant has traditional and CVT on this one. I had about an inch or so play before the car really takes off. I drove another CVT before and it was not that bad compared to this. I have to let the car roll off and ease in the pedal at a dead stop to avoid that lurch.

Other than the rubbery feeling, straight line acceleration is good. Not peppy but good.

-Transmission: oh the CVT. It's butter smooth compared to the Galant for sure but it's rubbery. If i need speed, I'll need to either floor and try to trick the CVT to go lower gears or switch to paddle. If I floored my Galant, the car will redline fast and just zip off. CVT is definitely not my fav but for now live-able

-Tires: Stock is 205 width. Understandable in snow but not in anywhere else, even in rain. The galant comes 215 standard and 225 +0 tires on stock 16. I missed the grip on windies. Next tires will need to be little wider.

-Brake: The play!!!! This brake is soft and a lot of other members express similar concern. This car is heavy. So why soft brakes? I have quite some pedal play before the brake fully engage. Even then, 60-0 stop is mediocre. Brake lines are good w/o leaks or air. Rotors and pads are new and broken in. The front even includes dual pistons so I have no idea why it is so soft in this car. I'll need to gauge even further to start braking compared to the galant. Given that I'm not a last-minute brake slammer. Worst gripe

-Suspension: Soft and cushioned. I like it. Comapred to the Galant with stock springs and KYB GR-2 which bounces over bumps and curbs, the Legacy is like a pillow everywhere. A definite must have for a commute car. But the body roll in corners is sad. I'm going to have to replace the RSB with either 19-20mm STI RSB.

Overall: I like the car except brakes and body rolls. I'm trying to keep the car as much stock as possible.

Future mods:

20mm STI RSB

OEM tweeters+woofer

Wider track tires.

Impressions on:

Sound system: I installed the tweeter and the sub. Sounds much better compared to only base four speakers. Tweeter carries the high well and are very bright.

Sub is super punchy. I turned the gain to 80% and 30% on the other nob. Setting with bass +2, Treble +4 and the other +4, CS 1 (CS 2 will rattle the windows:spin:).

Over all, good cheap and easy DIY to improve stock sound with stock unit.

One caveat: the screws on the sub are bolted down real tight.

RSB: 20mm WRX

Much heavier than the flimsy 16mm.

Now I can corner and brake harder without the dreadful tail wagging.

I saw another post saying that the 2013 suspension is better and firmer. Is it worth it to upgrade to those when my suspension are out?

Another option is KYB GR-2 + 2013 springs.

Any ideas would be great!

Impressions on:

Sound system: I installed the tweeter and the sub. Sounds much better compared to only base four speakers. Tweeter carries the high well and are very bright.

Sub is super punchy. I turned the gain to 80% and 30% on the other nob. Setting with bass +2, Treble +4 and the other +4, CS 1 (CS 2 will rattle the windows:spin:).

Over all, good cheap and easy DIY to improve stock sound with stock unit.

One caveat: the screws on the sub are bolted down real tight.

RSB: 20mm WRX

Much heavier than the flimsy 16mm.

Now I can corner and brake harder without the dreadful tail wagging.

I saw another post saying that the 2013 suspension is better and firmer. Is it worth it to upgrade to those when my suspension are out?

Another option is KYB GR-2 + 2013 springs.

Any ideas would be great!

I have that spring/strut combo and I love it. It's not like a sporty setup, but it makes the car feel like it should have.

Oh yes. Sorry, I guess that was ambiguous.

I also installed Subtle Solutions 1" strut spacers to raise the car up an inch. I love those too, but it's not for everyone. I also considered doing koni/blacks with the spacers in hopes that I would end up at stock ride height, but my budget got in the way.

Oh yes. Sorry, I guess that was ambiguous.

I also installed Subtle Solutions 1" strut spacers to raise the car up an inch. I love those too, but it's not for everyone. I also considered doing koni/blacks with the spacers in hopes that I would end up at stock ride height, but my budget got in the way.

I see. Thanks. Raising the car is definitely not my intention. Im gona try to slap 18s on them and drop maybe an inch with better strut spring combo. Either kyb or bilstein w 2013 spring or eibach.

How does the brake feel on yours? Its not the most responsive brake system ive driven in, especially in the 2.5i. I was thinking possibly due to the skinny tire 205 width plus spongy suspension.

My brakes feel nice. I put Hawk HPS blues on and it made it just perfect.

If you're in the market for 18s, (and aren't looking for weight savings), check out the forester 18s. I think they look great on our cars.

Future mods:

20mm STI RSB

OEM tweeters+woofer

Wider track tires.

New todo list:

- '13 oem suspensions

- hps hawk pads

- 225/55r16 tires. I have no money for a set of 17/18 good looking rims.

-'13 fsb but the rsb took care of most problems.

Archived