LegacyGT.com

What's Everyone Here Do for a Job?

arg36

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Very good info! I was doing that for the last project I worked on and I am trying to get into it more. But I am great at what I do, so the current team lead and regional manager seem to want to keep me in this role for fear of me leaving the team.

If management wants to keep you at all, they'll give you the room to advance. Otherwise, you'll just find a different place to advance and then you'll be gone entirely.

i have a BofA in multimedia specializing in digital animation production, and a minor in video game design theory.

ive been designing, implementing and maintaining municipal water/ waste water systems (SCADA and telemetry) for the last 19 or so years. not exactly what i intended, but ive managed to at least apply the interface design and programming aspect to the job.

im no engineer tho, i make decisions.

That's what I'm going to school for right now. Just started tuning PID loops.

I got my degree in mechanical engineering. Pretty much everything I know about the actual products I'm selling (how they work, selecting the correct instrument for the application) was on the job training. But definitely helped having the eng degree, understanding physical concepts, etc.

Very good info! I was doing that for the last project I worked on and I am trying to get into it more. But I am great at what I do, so the current team lead and regional manager seem to want to keep me in this role for fear of me leaving the team.

I've seen that situation many times.

This is a great opportunity for you to work with your management to let them know how you'd like to grow professionally. Work with them to open up a position for you on a project management path. Just as important... Work with strong co-workers to teach them and cultivate them into being strong performers as well. Doing so will hopefully demonstrate to your management that continuity of knowledge and performance won't drop with you leaving.

Every good manager should have a succession plan. Good managers should work with key performers to ensure they have succession plans too.

On a serious note, I work for the Government, servicing and liquidating government business loans. If you put 2 & 2 together you will figure out which agency I work for.

I'm the bad guy when it comes to liquidation, when the business defaults/fails, we have to start collecting on their assets and collateral to pay down the remaining loan balance as much as possible.

But, if the business calls me and want to work something out, then I'm all ears. I would rather save the business than have to shut them down.

My wife's balls are delicious.

I got my degree in mechanical engineering. Pretty much everything I know about the actual products I'm selling (how they work, selecting the correct instrument for the application) was on the job training. But definitely helped having the eng degree, understanding physical concepts, etc.

There's usually one or two outfits that come around twice a year to my school and recruit guys from our program to sell and maintain instrumentation equipment. A lot of them work in the field for a few years then make the transition to sales. I don't know if it's the right direction for me at the moment but time will tell.

Archived