LegacyGT.com

Winter wheel set myth?

Hey guys so I have some xxr 536's that are white with a chrome lip. Winter is creeping up on us here in Colorado and since this is my first winter owning a nice set of wheels that I want to take care of I would like to get some opinions on whether or not I should leave these wheels on or put the stock wheels back on.

Basically everyone I've talked to about this has either said I have to swap them because the salt and sand put on the roads will ruin my wheels or that its pointless to swap them and I'm stupid if I put the stock wheels back on for winter.

Any input helps thanks!

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

Any uncoated surfaces will oxidize faster with the salt mixture applied to the road. Pot holes, paving rocks from the road disintegrating (plows/pot holes), and the abrasiveness of the salt/sand mixture is much more likely to damage your wheels. If you are trying to keep them looking mint, get another set of wheels.

I can tell you from my own experience on my stock wheels, you might be able get away with one winter with minimal damage, but inevitably they are going to get some noticeable damaged.

Are you planning on running winter tires? Stock wheels + winter tires sounds like a winning combination for me, is one I did while living in New England. Then you can keep your nice wheels with whatever summer tire you run.

Stock rims with the best set of winter tires you can find. Don't cheap out there.

The only downside is that if you have good tires the risk of getting rear-ended by a moron not having winter tires increases.

453747.png

Archived