LegacyGT.com

Tire Inflator?

SWortham

I've been using a tiny tire inflator I bought at Target. It plugs into the cigarette lighter and it's kinda handy but it's incredibly slow and incredibly loud. So I want something better. I'd even be happier using a bicycle pump if they would only fit on the valve stem.

I'm looking for something portable. But the products I've tried suck. So rather than just pick another myself, I thought I'd ask. Any suggestions?

Here's a portable unit that pumps much faster:

http://www.jaeeagle.com/air_horns_compressors.php

http://www.jaeeagle.com/images/site/JH12TC.jpgJH12TC- Commercial Grade 12 Volt Air Compressor

This 12 volt air compressor is a great way to prevent having to return home early from riding a dirt bike in your favorite remote location simply because you have a flat tire. It is a portable unit weighing just 35 lbs. Our 12 volt compressor can be a very useful tool for tire inflation, operating air tools, or many other camping, off-roading, or racing purposes. The compressor has overall dimensions of just 20" x 18" x 8", so it can easily be stored in your toolbox, camper, or four-wheeler trailer. It comes equipped with a 3 gallon tank and operates at ¾

Bicycle pump? Remember that you're pumping 35+ psi...;)

Like you, I also keep a $15 pump in my trunk. It works great for me, since I only use it occasionally when the RE92's pressure went down on me...:p If you think these are slow, try pumping +3 psi of air to a big SUV tire that holds a lot more air...:D

You can use a bike pump to touch up pressures, but I wouldn't want to fill up a flat tire. It takes about 10 strokes (depending on pump, of course) to increase 1 psi.

The floor-standing bike pumps have a short hose to a locking valve connector, so the valve shouldn't be a problem. Many also have a pressure guage to help you get an approximation of the pressure. You still want to check with an accurate guage though.

Guest *Jedimaster*
Wasn't there an officila Subaru accessory with an inflator thingy on it? I seem to remember it being advertised as able to inflate kids toys, etc.

I used to use a bike pump all the time with my last two cars. It's not as hard as it sounds. I always fine tune my tire pressures to get the right balance in handling. And I can always feel when one of the tires is just a couple psi low.

As for the valve problem... it has to with these valve stems. It's hard to describe but they're too short, so the valve is not actually pressed in when I fit the hose onto it. It's that way with both of the bike pumps I have.

Call me weird. But my reasons for getting something portable are many. And I want something light because I want to keep it in my car all the time. I'll also be going to a couple autocrossing events soon and I'd like to be able to adjust tire pressures while I'm out there. What do you autocrossers use?

Call me weird. But my reasons for getting something portable are many. And I want something light because I want to keep it in my car all the time. I'll also be going to a couple autocrossing events soon and I'd like to be able to adjust tire pressures while I'm out there. What do you autocrossers use?

http://imagex.homedepot.com/f/248/13340/7d/www.homedepot.com/cmc_upload/HDUS/EN_US/asset/images/eplus/732422012582_3.jpg

OBAMA......One Big Ass Mistake America!

I returned the rechargeable air compressor (too loud for my tastes) and got a $6 air foot pump from a local Walmart. Works nicely if you just want to pump a few psi to keep the tires in check. And it doesn't take too much pressure to pump it with your feet or your hands/arms (I used both hands/arms - don't ask why :lol: )

Was a squeeky little monster at first, but nothing a squirt of WD40 didn't fix :p

footpump.jpg.c2ad743c8b40f2c05af5d8e81f52c6ad.jpg

-=- Livin life at 140 BPM -=-

Hey I don't know if you are going to catch this tonight but head over to www.woot.com and buy todays item. It is EXACTLY what you are looking for...

Woot only sells one item a day and they have limited quantities. They vary from speakers to DLP's to car stuff to computers etc etc..

Today they have a kit that is a portable compressor with an air impact wrench in the kit. Shipping no matter how big the item is always only $5.

This kit is normally $50 + shipping other places. I have been thinking about this woot all day and I am about to pull the triggaar myself! Just for the compressor it is worth 29.99!!

I returned the rechargeable air compressor (too loud for my tastes) and got a $6 air foot pump from a local Walmart. Works nicely if you just want to pump a few psi to keep the tires in check. And it doesn't take too much pressure to pump it with your feet or your hands/arms (I used both hands/arms - don't ask why :lol: )

Was a squeeky little monster at first, but nothing a squirt of WD40 didn't fix :p

Wow, that's weird... I actually bought the exact same pump online last weekend (didn't know I could get it at Wal-Mart). It should be coming just in time for the autocross event this Sunday.

Wow, that's weird... I actually bought the exact same pump online last weekend (didn't know I could get it at Wal-Mart). It should be coming just in time for the autocross event this Sunday.

Why not just stop by a gas station close to the autocross? Or buy an air tank, fill that up at the gas station and bring with you.

http://content.sears.com/data/product_images/009/15200/00915200000-dlv.jpg

That's what I used to do until a sponsor donated an air compressor to the region.

Free Sonax Cleaner Deal

http://www.brakeswap.com

Carbotech, Hawk, PFC, DBA Rotors, Motul, Wilwood, Castrol...

Great service. No bumping required :icon_tong!

ya...I have one of those little electronic air compressors that cost $20 or so..and they are hella loud (I have to wrap a large towel around the entire compressor to quiet it down)...I'm thinking about getting one of those ^^^ air foot pumps...probably just as slow as the one I have and much quieter :D)
In Taiwan now...:spin:

As for the valve problem... it has to with these valve stems. It's hard to describe but they're too short, so the valve is not actually pressed in when I fit the hose onto it. It's that way with both of the bike pumps I have.

You ought to be able to buy valvestem extensions. I know I've seen them. They might look goofy sticking out an extra 1/2" to 3/4" (and increase your rotating mass ;)) but they should do the trick.

Have no clue about the quality, but a quick google search yielded this example of what I'm talking about. A little pricey, but there are surely cheaper options:

http://www.dual-star.com/index2/Equipment/valve_stem_extensions.htm

Let us know if that works...

Archived