LegacyGT.com

Broken E-brake spring

Thanks. Kit was 30 bucks and I only needed the spring, but at least I have enough parts to replace all the hardware on both wheels if I need to. Spring installed easily.

However, I ran into a new problem. I put the caliper brackets back on, and on both sides, the bracket rubs on the outer side of the rotor, with extra room on the inner side. Can I put washers on the bolts, in between the bracket and the mount to space it correctly?

Image: http://i.imgur.com/T90wNiw.jpg

No, the rotors are correct. The old rotors had the same problem, which also resulted in the outer pad being more worn than the inner. I know im putting the bracket on right, and I know the rotor is seated correctly. this looks like it was already a problem.

If I were you I'd go to a parts store and compare the options of rotors side by side. I don't know if your car is the same case but with my car, Subaru changed brakes if the car was built in the beginning or end of the year as well as which sized wheels came on it from factory. I would think you'd need a rotor with a shallower hub mounting location.

There's also a lip on the inside of the rotor that protrudes farther than the outer rim. could that be it?

That's the e-brake pad mating surface and I would guess that's whats rubbing but theres no guarantee that that'll be the only problem, thinking in terms of, if that lip was ground away, the rotor may still rub.

Thanks for the help everyone, I fixed it by doing a ton of rust removal on the caliper brackets, and now they don't rub. New problem is that the e brake spring I replaced is rubbing on the bottom of the wheel hub. I turned the adjuster thing upwards to get it out of the way but it just goes back down and rubs the wheel hub. Any thoughts?

Archived