LegacyGT.com

Thumping sound behind gauge cluster?

What would be behind the gauge cluster that would create a soft thumping sound?

Possibly rotational. If it is rotational, it never changes speed or frequency. Just a soft thump about twice per second.

Lightly tap the pad of your finger on a desk or something slightly softer and you get close to what we are hearing.

Not fan speed related, not engine speed related, happens while moving or sitting still.

I think it may even happen with key forward , but engine not yet started.

It seems it may go away after the car is pretty warm.

It's the wife's DD, so I'm not in it a whole lot. Can only tell you what I have experienced thus far and haven't had much opportunity to cram my head under there and poke around.

Thanks

2010 LGT Premium , about 80K on the clock

Yeah I had the same problem before. Haven't had time to take the dash apart and look behind the cluster. I might do it next summer. School made me really busy. Thought someone already found a solution.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That sound is coming from servomotors. The servomotors are adjusting/regulating air flow into cabine. Possible you have to change these servomotors.

I have heard these servomotors also in my car.

This is what my car does every time I start it now even with the air off. It started just this summer and does it more when cold out in the mornings then hot. I found out what it was by having one of the EE guys at work listen to it. He said instantly "it's a servo motor" and his '14 Impreza Sport does it too. He nored it was probably the gauges and as long as they work it's all good but once they start bouncing bad or cutting out it may be time to change them. Luckily I can have the guys a work do it but that means diving something else to work for a couple days.

Not sure if the AC is a variable displacement or not on the '10, but if not then it can be the AC compressor engaging/disengaging.

Definitely not the AC compressor, happens when engine is off ... key in ACC position

It may be the HVAC mixer flap fluttering/flapping around. Do you find the air routing to be working correctly? i.e. it goes where it should be going when you change it?

Also.. any change in the sound if you change to defrost/vent/floor and back?

Sorry should have noted that, but yes , AC controls and air movement work properly.

No change in sound when adjusting HVAC controls.

That sound is coming from servomotors. The servomotors are adjusting/regulating air flow into cabine. Possible you have to change these servomotors.

I have heard these servomotors also in my car.

Probably not HVAC related, as it occurs even with the HVAC off. This car does not have auto temp controls....Premium pkg, not Limited, assuming Limited even have that. I do not know.

I messed with the actuator motors on an 2001 F250 I had, those motors only ran under command, IE: when you shifted the air temp from hot to cold etc etc.

This is what my car does every time I start it now even with the air off. It started just this summer and does it more when cold out in the mornings then hot. I found out what it was by having one of the EE guys at work listen to it. He said instantly "it's a servo motor" and his '14 Impreza Sport does it too. He nored it was probably the gauges and as long as they work it's all good but once they start bouncing bad or cutting out it may be time to change them. Luckily I can have the guys a work do it but that means diving something else to work for a couple days.

Servo motors, hmm.....

Sounds like we're getting it narrowed down.... But I'm surprised the motors would run even in the ACC position. Need to dig into it more.

I appreciate all the responses so far, Thanks everyone!

Archived