LegacyGT.com

What are the thread specs for our oil filters?

I mean, pitch and diameter. Because I just found this, and I am intrigued...

http://www.jegs.com/i/Canton-Racing-Products/074/25-264/10002/-1

...but I have no idea whether or not it would fit.

I have motor with 550 miles on it, and it's got cams that tend to fail around 700-1500 miles (GSC S2, big thread here), so I've been planning to do frequent oil filter swaps and gut the old filters to look for metal. But a reusable filter chassis with swappable filter elements would be a lot less hassle, so I'm tempted.

subscribed...

This won't apply to me specifically, since the cost will take 150,000+ miles of standard oil filter changes with a 4000mi OCI to offset the high cost of this filter - BUT, for your situation, and maybe even for myself sometime down the road - this is an interesting concept!

The 2002 WRX motors are 20mm, and there is a 20mm version of the filter:

https://www.cantonracingproducts.com/product/25-184/25-184---CM-34quot-BILLET-SPIN-ON-FILTER-20MM-THREAD-2-58-O-RING/

No luck finding EJ25 specs yet though.

EDIT: Replacement filters are $14, so there's no way this would ever save money.

EDIT EDIT: Replacements for the 4.25" unit are $9.50 if you buy a 24-pack, but that still isn't going to save money.

EDIT EDIT EDIT: They say you can go 10,000 miles between changes, so... if you believe that... then it could be cost effective.

I wish I'd thought to reload the page before posting my last reply, because yes that helps. It basically says all Subarus use 20mm oil filters.

K&N agrees:

http://nzairfilter.co.nz/oil_filter/hp-1010.html

Prosport agrees:

https://www.amazon.com/Filter-Adapter-Subaru-M20xP1-5-sandwich/dp/B00CS4OQCE

Would the bypass be the same or it's not needed for what you intend to use it for?

I don't see anything about a bypass or pressure rating, so I'm not sure it even has one.

Not sure it matters, not sure it doesn't. I'd be inspecting the filters frequently enough that clogging wouldn't be possible, so it probably just depends on whether the bypass comes into play when the oil is cold... and I really have no idea.

EDIT: They claim they don't have a bypass because they don't need a bypass:

Do CM Filters Have A Built-in Bypass?

No. The high flow of the CM element can handle more flow than that required by any automotive application, so all oil can be filtered all the time.

Looking at the replacement filter element, I'd have to tear THOSE apart instead, so I'm not sure this would actually make that job easier. I was thinking it would just be the filter element by itself, but apparently it is in a metal housing. The make raw filter elements for their remote filter kits, but I don't want to go there.

So this isn't going to help with what I had in mind, but it is tempting to get one afterward and combine it with oil analysis to see if it actually does a better job than ordinary filters. After the up-front cost ($150ish) the filters are not that different from good regular filters, and Canton claims they work far better than ordinary filters and only need to be changed every 10k miles. Seems optimistic, but that's where the oil analysis would come in.

That kind of money can buy a lot of Amsoil filters...I use EA15K13. They are a bit longer then the EA15K12.

http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-product/filters-and-by-pass-systems/oil/amsoil-ea-oil-filters/?code=ea15k12-ea

Really how much oil filtering do you need...

I pay like $13.00 for the filters and $5.85 for a qt of 5W-40 European Full SAPS, or whatever they changed the name to recently. There are EPA fee's and shipping too. But in the end I know I'm using great oil. Also go 7000 mile OCI.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I wasn't trying to save money here. :)

But, FWIW, Amsoil claims 20 micros, and Canton claims 8. It would take about 30 filters for the cost to break even, which would take approximately forever. But, microns!

Yes, microns, how small do you really need to filter at what expense and what's the real benefit when you look at the bigger picture. How many cars run forever on whatever oil and filter they use.

I can understand a little caution but 8 microns...

Amsoil list 20 because that's what they measured or stopped the test at compared to other normal oil filters. Again we're talking a commercially produced oil filter compared to a special highly expensive one.

It's your money...;)

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Archived