LegacyGT.com

Official Firearm Thread V3

SBT

non-NFA "firearms" are all the craze now in NJ now that a few have been made legal (tactical weapons with a 26.5" OAL, pistol brace and vertical foregrip) Troy Industries just released one 2 months ago as the first "official" one legal in New Jersey.....had the opportunity to shoot one yesterday for a 1000 round torture test. wasn't bad, for $1600 not worth it IMO. just build one. I built a Noveske "firearm" last year for $1400 with much better quality behind it.

There were several 4" Pythons at the local show in the $2000-2200 asking range.

One local gunshop took in a really nice 2 1/2" Python this morning... I've been sitting here for an hour scheming a way to buy it. They got one ~ 2 years ago that I probably could have bought for $1900. I'm still kicking myself.

Frankly a Python is a non starter for me. Can’t really shoot it in volume or it damages value, and even a “shooter” grade gun won’t fly because parts are unobtainable and all the guys who know how to work on one are retired or passed on.

An older S&W might be a candidate but I’d do sacrilegious things like put an ACRO P-1 on top etc....

My biggest problem is that I’m used to Freedom Arms level accuracy and durability, and want a DA gun that can match that level of materials and craftsmanship.

• 3 weeks later...

Time for a thread bump...

The 2 1/2" Python my LGS had from the above post was gone by the end of the day... sold for $2700 to the first guy they called after showing it to me. I had already talked myself out of it. :p

I did pick up another S&W... Performance Center K-Comp

48612933708_c34229d369_c.jpg

I really like this thing. Aside from the fact that 3" K frames are just the perfect size, it's got a great action, and the comp works... it's more comfortable to shoot with full house .357 loads (125gr @ 1450) than the 4" 586.

Carry load will be a Buffalo Bore 140gr (@1250) solid copper HP... shoots like a .38+p, but still has some wallop.

• 2 weeks later...

Guess I'll do a bump as well.

6906 came back from Smith finally. I'll be nice and just have small clickable pics.

Before

th_9ABAF291-6747-4A4E-95F3-6A0417DA1512_zpstj3ztfpn.jpg

After

th_B431E07F-031D-48D8-8C46-BDAEA84151FD_zpsmhljsjf1.jpg

th_1CC02D59-34CF-4D39-AAB9-5C8EB8B1EAB3_zps6cfdubuu.jpg

Hated those sights and was able to track down a Novac slide vs that whole machining new ones to fit route.

th_12AFC46D-074A-40EC-907E-1FF3B56D06F5_zpsxotlvxmz.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Thinking about building a long range shooty mcshoot stuff gun.

Just start buying components over time and then have it assembled. Talk me out of buying a Bighorn Arms TL3 action and building it into a rifle. They hold tight enough tolerances that barrel makers will cut a shouldered pre-fit chambered barrel for those actions sight unseen. So pretty much all I need is a torque wrench (got one), a vise, an action block, and an attachment for the wrench to install a barrel and I could do most of it myself with "go and no go" gauges.

Been shooting my CZ Scorpion a lot lately, it's a tack driver.

9mm is cheap and I don't care to shoot beyond 50 yards often anymore, the Scorpion is ridiculously accurate in short range. Also surprised the Vortex Sparc-AR dot it came with being impressive. I have a Trijicon MRO and a Leupold RDS on 2 of my AR's, I wouldn't say the Vortex is "just as good" but I'm not itching to replace the Vortex for a more expensive optic.