LegacyGT.com

Official Firearm Thread V3

SBT

For sure.

The learning curve at clean presentation to target and picking the dot up without it bouncing around in the window from over driving to target is tough. Still dealing with it.

Figure on learning now while I can still shoot iron sights instead of 10 years from now when I might not be able to effectively use irons.

The learning curve at clean presentation to target and picking the dot up without it bouncing around in the window from over driving to target is tough. Still dealing with it.

Figure on learning now while I can still shoot iron sights instead of 10 years from now when I might not be able to effectively use irons.

I have a pretty good index on the draw, so I never had any issues with the first shot. Up close on multiple shots and transitioning between targets the RDS was just slower than irons, so I shelved it.

I'm definitely into the "can't see my sights anymore" age group... :lol:

In fact, over the last several years, I've trained myself to shoot cross dominant with handgun, and switched rifle to left hand because my right eye has deteriorated faster than the left.

As an instructor, it looks like I'll be dealing with RDS training soon, in fact I'm currently working on a lesson plan for transitioning folks to RDS, so I figured it was time to jump on the bandwagon. I've also done some more research, and picked up a few things I didn't try last time I tried the RDS, so I'm much more optimistic this time. The future is definitely RDS.

Yeah, the RDS just eases the work load on the shooter so much, especially new shooters who can’t get it through their ******* heads to focus on the front sight if they want to get good results past 7 yards. Putting the aiming tool (dot) on the same focal plane as their instinctive point of focus (target/threat) makes sense. Then all they have to do is manage the trigger, which is the number one skill anyway. All the aiming in the world does no good if your trigger manipulation is so dicked up you move the gun off target with your trigger jerking antics. LOL.

I should have a handle on the presentation/index thing within a month or two of consistent practice. I hope to find a light bearing range holster for the long slide VP9 to do more draw and presentation work. I carry the whole rig in a PHLster Floodlight, but constant one shot draws and reholstering from AIWB is not something I want to do with live ammo. Dry firing, sure, but administrative gun handling out of a OWB zero cant strong side hip rig is something I’m more comfortable with at this point than AIWB. Plus it’s less likely to get me a talking to from an RSO if one is on duty. Some of those guys get butt hurt about rapid fire. Think I’m going to blast the overshot barriers. I tell them to look at my target. Usually reassures them I’m not shooting the overshot barriers LOL.

Tracking the dot hasn’t been much of an issue for me so far, which tells me my grip and hand eye coordination are OK because the gun comes back to where it was consistently. Pushing the pace up for fast (for me) splits shows my aggression on the trigger is still pulling shots low, but dialing out almost all the over travel worked well to mitigate the issue. Also between the trigger adjustment and grip sizes I have definitely determined on the VP9 that the large grips all the way around work better for me. Shot back to back at speed against the medium grips the dot comes back with basically no effort, the pistol tracks a bit better, and shots stay centered up horizontally even though they may get shanked low. Ran a bunch of “Bill Drills” on that B27 and some failure to stop drills, and the large grips with over travel banished from the trigger kept everything within the 9 ring pretty much no matter how Ricky Bobby I got on the loud pedal. Target transition with the dot isn’t too bad for me, but I’ve never been a speed demon on that anyway, and I’ve never seen a group of baddies evenly spaced 3 feet apart (for example) holding still waiting for you to shoot them after you burn down their first buddy. That is just silly ass gamer shit, and if gamer shit is what you seek them run a comped out 2011 with frame mounted optic that doesn’t reciprocate with a huge optic window. In my limited experience in the sandbox baddies tend to not hold still, not stay or even begin evenly spaced, and tend to do things like try to not get shot. Chuck Pressburg touches on this with one of his drills where he puts targets about 5-6 feet apart to force the shooter to consciously index to a new target instead of just riding the recoil over to the next one while hosing them down with bullets. Incidentally my PatMac class was similar, uneven spacing, and uneven distance on multiples.

I will be officially moved to WV next week. Trailer gets dropped off today.

F Cali.

Once landed my new home away from home will be 340 Defense, the range about 6 miles down the road from the house.

I can finally enjoy firearms ownership and shooting sports again.

I will be officially moved to WV next week.

F Cali.

From one refugee to another, you're going to love living in America. :D

I fled CA 25 years ago, and have never regretted the decision. Not for a second.

From one refugee to another, you're going to love living in America. :D

I fled CA 25 years ago, and have never regretted the decision. Not for a second.

Just about the same timeframe for me. I don't mind visiting, but I always appreciate seeing CA in my rear view mirror!

As for firearms, I joined the Garand Collectors Association.

Now I need to get my CCL, and I can get up to 8 Garands a year from the CMP!

SC

1994 Legacy MI

2008 Legacy GT specB

2023 Crosstrek Limited

AR9 pistol, updated with a longer flash can, and Midwest Industries forend (the stock forend was too small to clear the suppressor I ordered). Also added a Magpul K2 grip and angled foregrip, and stenciled the 9mm mags so they're easily identified.

48397715712_c7e03c3d44_c.jpg

are those the Endomag kits? how do you like them?

They are Endomag conversions.

So far, I have no real complaints. 100% on function so far, though I only have ~100 rounds through it. Installing the Endomag guts into the PMags is about as easy as it gets. I like having the same profile for the 9mm mags as all my other mags. Same pouches, same feel, etc.

One minor complaint is that with the ejector being part of the magazine, you have to be careful clearing the gun if you didn't empty the mag. When you pull the mag, the ejector goes with it, so running the action won't, by itself, clear the loaded round... it stays on the bolt and goes back in the chamber unless you knock it out with a finger. I could see a negligent discharge happening if the shooter isn't diligent with their clearing practices.

Shipping confirmation on my new safe recieved. Call to moving company to schedule placement in the house made. Location for safe identified and measured to insure fit and installation.

Now the hard part...waiting. Hoping 50cuft is enough to store the current collection. Already spent more on this safe than all previous safes combined. 'Murican Made.

I hate to admit it, but I just use shitty StackOn cabinets. I'm absolutely certain I'm going to learn a hard lesson eventually, but it's just tough justifying the cost of a real safe, especially when moving around every year until I buy a house.

I hate to admit it, but I just use shitty StackOn cabinets. I'm absolutely certain I'm going to learn a hard lesson eventually, but it's just tough justifying the cost of a real safe, especially when moving around every year until I buy a house.

Better than nothin'... I have one, and though I have no illusions about how easy it is to get into, it will probably stop the typical dipshit doper opportunist burglar.

My problem is it's now overflowing... and this time I'm going to buy a 'real' safe. Just trying to figure out where to put it. :p

I have a stack on cabinet too...it works just fine. I’m intrigued by the new Vaultek 530i safe, but for $1400 it doesn’t hold a lot of guns. May pick up a Rhino Metals safe in the future because it’s probably not smart to store $11k in guns in a $200 cabinet

Stack-On cabinet. What I like: it's a better storage option than keeping my guns in my closet or under a bed.

What I don't like: it's not an actual safe and not hard to break in to.

Well put. I have move 11 times in the past 18 years. Movers charge by weight. That is why I have 2 of the cheapo stack on cabinets vice a safe. They are better then nothing.

Local Gun Show this weekend... had an interesting experience...

I'm always on the hunt for S&W revolvers, and the subject of interest for this outing was a Model 19 with a 2 1/2" bbl. I was happy enough to find one, and after a little negotiation, paid a fair price for a decent example.

48568423267_93b087b9aa_c.jpg

You'll note the grips are off in the photo... that's because I took them off as soon as I got home to check the serial # with the local PD. I didn't have a screwdriver with me to do it at the show. It was a non-FFL seller, so no paper required at the point of sale.

Lo and behold, when I get the grips off, I find the serial number has been filed off!! :eek:

I called up the local PD, and had an officer meet me back at the show, and we had a little chat with the seller... who claimed total ignorance, of course! :rolleyes:

TLDR, I got my money back, and the gun got seized. No charges on the seller at this point, but the PD is looking into things.

Almost 40 years of buying/selling/trading guns... first time this has happened!

What really pissed me off is it was the ONLY 2 1/2" Model 19 S&W there...

Not a total loss however... I went back today, and sold another S&W revolver at a profit, and found a unicorn: S&W 586 round butt from a special run in the late 1980s. A friend had one of these back when, and I could never talk him into selling it. They made a little under 2000 of them, but this was the first one I've ever seen for sale.

Appears unfired, except for factory testing, and with the original box and accessories.

48568421817_e5ce02f7f0_c.jpg

Edited by rodan