LegacyGT.com

Official Firearm Thread V3

SBT

I still have to decide on an optic for an AR 308. I've got 0 use for it and don't have any range that's longer than 200 yards around me, so I feel dumb for wanting a higher magnification scope. Probably going to end up with a Nikon FX1000 Black since Gucci optics are way out of my range.

I still have to decide on an optic for an AR 308. I've got 0 use for it and don't have any range that's longer than 200 yards around me, so I feel dumb for wanting a higher magnification scope. Probably going to end up with a Nikon FX1000 Black since Gucci optics are way out of my range.

I run a Trijicon Accupower 1-8x28 on mine. It’s a tank of an optic, but perfect for an AR10.

b7b96302991ca9f66bd9accc2577d719.jpg

Got my slide back from Primary Machine, machined for the Aimpoint ACRO P-1, nice clean job, very tight fit, no slip. Slide refinished in salt bath nitrocarburizibg. Co-witness height sights installed. Got it too lat for a range outing today, but look forward to it.

http://i.imgur.com/WC5UYrG.jpg

Got my slide back from Primary Machine, machined for the Aimpoint ACRO P-1, nice clean job, very tight fit, no slip. Slide refinished in salt bath nitrocarburizibg. Co-witness height sights installed. Got it too lat for a range outing today, but look forward to it.

That came out awesome! Be sure to post how you like the optic when you take it out.

I run a Trijicon Accupower 1-8x28 on mine. It’s a tank of an optic, but perfect for an AR10.

b7b96302991ca9f66bd9accc2577d719.jpg

Hey, looks pretty similar!

fTNXG7y.jpg

We've got the same bipod and stock at least.

Same charging handle too ;) hah! I'm not sure how I feel about the UBR. It handles recoil well, but it's heavy and already have a heavy gun with the optic on top. Also had an issue with the cheek riser getting caught on my beard, ripping skin and off my face. Only accessory we differ with is the grip, I have the K+ grip

I was back and forth on the UBR for a while. I wanted the PRS gen 3, but constantly heard about how heavy it was and how they didn't really use the features of it, etc. etc. It feels good just dry firing with it, but we'll see once it comes time to actually using it.

The PRS is good but takes away any versatility for the rifle if you plan to use it other than bench or prone shooting. I may switch for a SLS stock because I shot an SR-25 with one and felt real nice

Please let us know how you like the Aimpoint. I’m writing a policy now for work to allow officers to use reflex sights. I’m only at Trijicon RMR approved because it fits the Safariland holsters but I might allow others if we can find a retention holster that fits.

On another note, I just ordered a Staccato P today. Decided to try a 2011. G/F said to get one for my upcoming bday and she’d pay for it.

Yeah I’m hoping to hit the range today if I can break away.

I don’t think you’re gonna have to wait long for Safariland to make with holsters that accommodate the ACRO. On the plus side the closed emitter gives all weather capabilities without needing a protective cover on the holster.

I’m a bit concerned about battery life as I’ve heard running it at full blast will kill the battery fast, but that top setting is so bright it’s not useable. For crying out loud I can pick the dot up at setting 6 or 7 (out of 10) on a white wall with a 1000 lumen weapon light shining on it. So if you find yourself needing to use your ACRO on the face of the Sun your battery might only last a day. I just plan to buy a bunch of them and change them out every 6 months. Since the sight doesn’t come off for a battery change and you don’t need a sealing plate it’s not a big deal to me.

Managed to get out and put about 300 rounds through the VP9 long slide and ACRO P-1 this afternoon. Nice day, not too hot, but the wind was blowing like a bastard.... because it always is in South Dakota. Had my range outing ended early by a thunderstorm blowing my target stand over and soaking the cardboard backer so bad my spray glue wouldn't stick a target to it for shit.

Plus it was busy as hell so I didn't get to do everything I wanted to do, hard to get shit done when you are constantly going range cease fire so everyone can service targets. Plus a lot of dude just want to visit, more on that in a bit.

Ammunition today was Magtech 115gr FMJ range fodder for initial zero and 7 yard line sight tracking drills, and a reload of mine using a 115gr Hornady HAP over 5.6gr Hodgdon CFE Pistol lit off with a CCI small pistol primer in mixed brass that I used for my informal accuracy testing and getting a reasonable 25 yard zero on the ACRO P-1.

Step 1.) Check the zero on the Dawson Precision co-witness height sights that Primary Machine installed for me. I bought them from Primary Machine and they installed them for free as part of the work. They are mechanically centered on the slide and I made no effort to adjust them. Ammo for this was the Magtech range blaster trash ammo at 13 yards according to my range finder, just to get an idea, 10 rounds fired off hand standing not really trying just shooting as soon as the iron sights settled:

DL94Yb2.jpg

Step 2.) Turn the ACRO P-1 up so I can see the dot and check initial zero, Primary Machine appears to have slaved the dot to the irons here, same garbage blaster ammo all other areas on target shot with the dot making minor adjustments on each target. Same distance.

X1b1Og2.jpg

Step 3.) Switch targets to something more easy to see and push target out to 25 yards per the laser range finder. Change ammo to the 115gr Hornady load since that bullet has proven to be pretty accurate. I shot 20 rounds on this target standing off hand, pulled one low left that was totally my fault. Made a few sight adjustments on both windage and elevation. This load in this pistol has a lot of potential I think. On a B8 bull this would have been a 95-98/100 14X score or thereabouts...

NZNMoNG.jpg

Step 4.) Bring target in to 7 yards, hang up a B27 and run Bill Drills and failure to stop drills just to start training on tracking the dot and reacquiring the dot. No photo here, probably ran 150 rounds of this shit with blaster ammo. Went better than I expected, kind of mind **** learning to trust the dot as soon as you see it in the window. No need to center it up, just get the dot on the head box or 9 ring on in and give it the gas. Kind of freaky for a guy used to iron sights. I can see how building speed is going to be easy though. Probably the best Bill Drills I've ever shot. Not one single round outside the 9 ring on the B27 with most in the 10 ring. The tough part is presentation and finding the dot on press out to the target, it will force you to clean your shit up and make clean consistent presentations if you don't want to burn up tons of time fishing for the dot.

Step 5.) Run a fresh target to 25 yards, and go back to my reload. Plus the range cleared out enough for me to grab a bench to sit on and rest the pistol on a bag for the last 10 shots. So 10 rounds standing off hand, and 10 rounds seated resting the pistol on a bag. Seriously the dot is like cheating at distance, with iron sights it's easy to have inconsistency in your point of reference as you focus on the front sight. For me this usually shows as vertical dispersion on the target or as the group favoring to the left or right, plus it is mentally exhausting. The dot solves a lot of this. I shot this in 5 round strings so forgive the individual little groups, I am sure I had natural point of aim shifts.

XRbGNuQ.jpg

Edited by Penguin

As for other observations of the ACRO P-1:

So far I like the sight a lot, before sending all of it off to Primary Machine I took some photos to compare it to my Trijicon RMR RM01:

t0DGwma.jpg

ruRybBi.jpg

Yep, pretty close to the same length.

vJg57xP.jpg

joqCjPW.jpg

Well look at that, pretty much the same width too....

The ACRO P-1 is a smidge taller, but I have no trouble concealing the Aimpoint ACRO on the pistol so it is moot.

812BARS.jpg

VHgPFna.jpg

Notice the ACRO P-1 is noticeably better optically than the RMR. The ACRO presents a nice flat field of view even at the edges. So even though the lens on the Aimpoint is more narrow it actually seems more useable to me. Same for the height of the lens, they're about the same but the ACRO is more useful at the top edge because it doesn't fish eye.

Other thoughts and observations between the two:

The mounting footprint of the ACRO is far far superior in my opinion, if the industry ever adopts a standard RDS footprint this should be in the running.

0BCS3qY.jpg

Notice the solid milled aluminum recoil/mounting cross lug on the bottom of the ACRO P-1. Simple and effective, plus utterly solid. There are no screws that will be having shear forces to deal with on the ACRO P-1 to keep the sight on the pistol slide that is of course violently reciprocating. Broken screws on mounting plates are a thing, and so are broken screws on the RMR, Delta Point etc that screw into the slide or the mounting plate. Guns running optic mounting plates that attach with screws to the slide are bad enough, but stacking more screws on top of that to mount the optic to the plate seems a bad idea. Maybe in a perfect world of no tolerance stacking and very very tight clearances on the sight, mounting plate, slide pocket etc would I fully trust a non custom machined pocket for an RMR.

When I got home I cleaned the pistol and the ACRO. I made no effort at all to keep the MPro gun cleaner off the lenses of the ACRO, cleaned the slide first and had solvent with carbon suspended in it all over the ACRO front and back. Here is a possibly over looked advantage of a sealed emitter that just occurred to me when cleaning my pistol: I don't care if I get a mild solvent and gunk on the sight. It's super easy to clean off, and none of that shit gets into nooks of crevices where it could be tough to clean. Way way easier than the RMR in that regard. Some Windex and a Q-Tip is all I needed to clean the lenses as good as new, no thought or effort really. Also at the range if oil or carbon spatters up on the lens they're easy to wipe off with a micro-fiber cloth, and you never have to worry about random debris or other stuff blocking your emitter etc.

Edited by Penguin

Bought 8 firearms int he past month. Someone told me that isn't normal. WHo want to be normal!

• 8 identical - you are starting a militia.
  • 8 different - you are a collector.

If it continues at that rate, then it's time to arrange a "Rifleowners Anonymous" meeting. "My name is Andrew and I have a problem..."

453747.png

• 2 weeks later...

Another PSA upper, this time in 9mm... on my pistol lower.

48284247122_0430259bc9_c.jpg

This one mostly for fun as a suppressor host, but could become a nightstand gun if it eventually gets its own lower.

Installed a Lazy Wolf Guns flat faced trigger in the VP9, main advantage is the over travel adjustment. No more over travel, now much more consistent results since the trigger is no longer getting a running start after the sear breaks to slam into the frame.

25 yards, 20 rounds 2 hand standing slow fire, for reference the 9 ring is 4" diameter.

umbTebx.jpg

Screwed around shooting a B27 and finished out with my last 5 rounds of practice ammo at 50 yards, shot standing two hands.

nJ5XQkX.jpg

Red dot sights + a more refined trigger = cheating.

Nice shooting, even with an RDS!

I tried one a couple of years ago on one of my M&Ps, and ended up taking it off. I recently bought another, and I'm going to take another run at it. At distances over 15 yards, compared to irons, an RDS is like cheating...