LegacyGT.com

Official Firearm Thread V3

SBT

I definitely would not send guns with a moving service.

A couple of years ago I helped my elderly parents move from CA to WI, using a well known moving company. I was surprised by the amount of stuff that went missing.

I would be inclined to rent a small U-haul or equivalent with a lift, load the safes, put the car on a trailer and move the guns and other valuables yourself. You'll most likely be taking a southern route that won't take you through the Northeast where all the gestapo states are, so I wouldn't worry about that.

Edited by rodan

My brother moved his car from Minneapolis to Boston and the trucking company stuffed the passenger door with drugs. Door was never the same again.

The door was never the same again or your brother?

Moving sucks. Its the worst part of relocating.

• 3 weeks later...

let's talk Scope Rings and Mounts. Looking to get a 34mm mount for my Trijicon Accupower 1-8, it sits on my 308 but will probably get swapped around on different rifles in the future. It currently uses Trijicon rings which are fine if it were to stay on this rifle, but like all trijicon mounts I've used, they're crap quality. I had to return my first set because the threads were stripped when took out the screws just to mount them. I'm sure the lugs will do the same if I move the optic to different rifles a few times.

So what's a good mount, Geissele SR-25 mount? Larue? ADM? Midwest Industries? Spuhr if I want to light $500 on fire?

Also may get a 30mm mount for my NX8, but the Nightforce mounts are pretty solid.

let's talk Scope Rings and Mounts. Looking to get a 34mm mount for my Trijicon Accupower 1-8, it sits on my 308 but will probably get swapped around on different rifles in the future. It currently uses Trijicon rings which are fine if it were to stay on this rifle, but like all trijicon mounts I've used, they're crap quality. I had to return my first set because the threads were stripped when took out the screws just to mount them. I'm sure the lugs will do the same if I move the optic to different rifles a few times.

So what's a good mount, Geissele SR-25 mount? Larue? ADM? Midwest Industries? Spuhr if I want to light $500 on fire?

Also may get a 30mm mount for my NX8, but the Nightforce mounts are pretty solid.

ADM is my go to, best value. Upgrade pick would be the scalarworks leap.

https://scalarworks.com/shop/optic-mounts/leap-scope-mount/

scalarworks_leap_scope_mount_hero.jpg

scalarworks makes REALLY nice stuff, just as nice as Spuhr but nearly not as large of an operation. Their offices are down the street from me. I almost bought their mount for the MRO but was too rich for my blood, went with the Geissele mount there. I've been leaning towards either Geissele or ADM for my 30mm and 34mm Edited by THE RZA

I’m a big fan of my Nightforce Uni-Mount. I find it to be of very high quality machining, very secure, simple, and cost effective. The only flourish that is a bit over the top are the titanium cross bolts/recoil lugs that interface with the upper receiver rail, and the corresponding titanium 1/2” nuts, and titanium wedge clamps that tighten everything down. I’m sure a good grade of steel could have been used for those parts to save money. Then again I like the fact my 30mm mount only weights 5.1 ounces.

The Geissele mount is also very nice, as is the Spuhr. Both rely on simple cross bolts, nuts, and wedges to lock down the mount to the upper rail just like the Nightforce.

Personally when securing a relatively heavy optic to a rifle or carbine my inclination is to use the most solid mount possible with the strongest mechanical advantage possible. A 1/2” nut on a stout crossbolt, tightening a wedge gives over 1K lbs/sq in of clamping Force when torgued to 65in-lbs, something a QD lever can’t even get close to. You don’t see dudes mounting heavy precision optics to long range bolt action rifles with throw lever mounts, so why would you use one to do the same with a carbine that will see even rougher use?

I like the Nightforce 30MM one for the NX8, their mounts are affordable too and it's an easy upsell when you're already buying their scope rather than sourcing an aftermarket mount.

I'm leaning towards the Geissele, they're out of stock currently but I can find one on ebay for a lot cheaper.

I don't like QD lever mounts, they're actually heavier than a cross bolt. I'm not changing optics in the field, I'm changing them in my garage with a fat wrench.

The changing optics in the field crowd amuses me.

“What if muh scope fails and I gots to get it off so I can run the irons when the zombies come” ~ Derptard throw lever mount fan.

“Why the **** would you put shitty optics on your gun that you can’t trust?” ~ Me

don’t want your optic to fail? Stop buying holosun :lol:

you can get a Trijicon MRO for $350 in the right places, $80 more than that piece of junk from china. Stop buying primary arms and vortex scopes and pony up the cash for a Trijicon or a Leupold if Nightforce is too much.

$200 for each stamp. They had a deal going for essentially buy 2, get 3 free suppressors. You still gotta pay the tax stamp no matter how much the can was, so that meant $1000 just in tax stamps alone, plus another $1600 for the suppressors.

Ya I think I would’ve had to muster up the loot ..

Oops. Double post somehow.

Not an advertisement. They were cheap though! $400 each. Night sights. Tax free. Lol.

Ordered these for work in August. They said I might get them by the end of the year. Sure enough FedEx showed up around 10am.

Edited by chowser51

• 3 weeks later...