LegacyGT.com

GT fuel consumption questions

This last fill-up, I got a whopping 19.74 mpg after going 298.4 miles. I'm going to look at CovertRussian's threads a little more...

Fuelly Report

Sep 23 2016

Miles

Gallons

Cost/Gallon

$2.569

Total Spent

$38.82

MPG

Edit: I don't usually let the tank run so low. There was the fuel crisis in South eastern America so I was holding out on paying 50 to 60 dollars for a tank of gas.

So for the last month I've been driving back and forth from Albany to New Hampshire for the week, then back to Albany for the weekend.

Heading out, I generally average somewhere in the mid-high 25's driving 74-78 the whole way, aside from hitting traffic on 495. During the week just driving around town and between work and my hotel, the average generally drops to the low 22's or high 21's. This generally includes a significant amount of driving like a dick out of boredom.

Refill the tank, reset trip A, and I get similar (if a bit better) results driving home. 26-27 average going a bit slower since I'm in less of a hurry, 70-75mph.

Trip B is currently somewhere in the high 18's low 19's, which I set immediately after I did my last oil change and went stage 2.

This does not account for the slight speedometer error (reads 2mph low at 75)due to running oversize tires.

If my accord was less janky at the moment, I'd have just driven that out here. My record with that was 37mpg on a highway trip.

This last fill-up, I got a whopping 19.74 mpg after going 298.4 miles. I'm going to look at CovertRussian's threads a little more...

Edit: I don't usually let the tank run so low. There was the fuel crisis in South eastern America so I was holding out on paying 50 to 60 dollars for a tank of gas.

Was that highway or city or mixed?

Also I don't let my tank run below 1/2 empty, the less liquid fuel taking up the space, the more room for liquid fuel to turn into gas. This does get recouped by the charcoal canister that then feeds into the intake, but the length of time that takes or how efficient it is, is debatable.

This does not account for the slight speedometer error (reads 2mph low at 75)due to running oversize tires.

2mph off speedometer will be about .5-1mpg off, since new tires are oversized it will be calculating less then what you really are making. When I go on long trips I reset my GPS and odometer, then find the difference between the two and apply that to all of my MPG calculations, very easy in a spreadsheet.

05 LGT 16G 14psi 290whp/30mpg (SOLD)

12 OBP Stock 130whp/27mpg@87 Oct

00 G20t GT28r 10psi 250whp/36mpg

22 Ascent STOCK

Was that highway or city or mixed?

Also I don't let my tank run below 1/2 empty, the less liquid fuel taking up the space, the more room for liquid fuel to turn into gas. This does get recouped by the charcoal canister that then feeds into the intake, but the length of time that takes or how efficient it is, is debatable.

2mph off speedometer will be about .5-1mpg off, since new tires are oversized it will be calculating less then what you really are making. When I go on long trips I reset my GPS and odometer, then find the difference between the two and apply that to all of my MPG calculations, very easy in a spreadsheet.

Mostly city driving. 2 hours on the highway going to Cary for some Subaru OEM stuff.

That's about 130m highway and 168m city then, while that's not quite 50/50, I would expect you to be closer to 22-24mpg assuming your city is around 19ish.

If you really wanna start keeping track of it, try to avoid doing city miles on highway trips. Fillup, do two hours of driving (at least 120miles or 4 gallons), fillup, do city driving.

05 LGT 16G 14psi 290whp/30mpg (SOLD)

12 OBP Stock 130whp/27mpg@87 Oct

00 G20t GT28r 10psi 250whp/36mpg

22 Ascent STOCK

The trip computer says I obtain 17-18 around town and 26-27 on the highway though I'm not sure how accurate the trip computer is.

I gave up on tracking my fuel economy as I concluded it's going to be what it's going to be. While driving habits can impact fuel consumption I've reached the conclusion I'm just going to drive the car without worrying about it. I bought my Outback XT for the fun factor and I'm not going to drive it like a grandma going to church on Sundays.

Archived