LegacyGT.com

My glovebox won't stay closed

Hey guys. Another question, this one much more boring than the previous. My glove box won't stay closed, I can hear it click shut but then it opens right back up. Any ideas what I need to do? Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 1 year later...

After searching threads back to 2005, has anyone found a fix ?

My wagon's decided it didn't want to latch last weekend, it's bee to hot out to mess with it much.

I did check the cabin air filter a few weeks back, I'll never do that again. Early 05's don't have one.

Over the weekend I'll try locking it and see if that works.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Duct tape

That's what I told the GF I was going to do.

I'm about to go adjust mine. It'll stay closed most of the time, but if I corner hard or similar that causes a little body flex it lets go and dumps open.

Can you just pull on that U shaped piece from the dash without damaging something ? I was planning to see how that mounted and may be put some washers behind it to move it out a little.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Mine is ever so slightly out of alignment with the latch/hook. If I just close it, I have a half click, if I pull it slightly to the left (driver's side), it'll click again and be fully latched. Checking with a small mirror, it looks like there is a single screw for the hook. When it is cooler out, I think I'm going to try to adjust it to shift the hook slightly to the left so I don't have to pull the door over to get a good latch.

Is the back left part of the glove box properly inserted into the little nub? Is the right side of the glove box secured in as well? It sounds like it may be hitting the latch, but rather than latching, the back/bottom of the box is dropping down.

I think is found the problem. When you pull the glove box down and look behind the glove box liner, which is the part where the owners manual sits and the latch anchor comes through, you see the four plastic clips are smashed and not allowing that panel to sit flush with the dash board. I cut those off and was able to push that panel closer to the dash and close the glove box.

Note to self, never open the glove box again. I keep a plastic box behind the drivers seat with stuff in it. I'll put the owners manual there, the other papers will stay in a zip lock bag between the seat and console.

Archived