LegacyGT.com

2005 Legacy GT 5MT Turbo Upgrade

All those will bolt on without any modifications. However, and unless you get tuned for those Turbos there is no reason to move to them. Unless you get a new tune (for the vf52) you won't get more out of it.

The VF46 isn't really an upgrade to a 40.

With a blown turbo there are other things you need to inspect otherwise your car will keep eating them.

Look at the blown turbo wiki.

VF46 (this is essentially the same turbo as the VF40) yes

VF52 yes but you'll need a tune to run it (this is an actual power upgrade)

Shoot us a message if you are looking to upgrade.

-Brian

Contact us for all your tuning and performance parts needs! Etuning the legacy community since 2008!

Follow us on FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

All those will bolt on without any modifications. However, and unless you get tuned for those Turbos there is no reason to move to them. Unless you get a new tune (for the vf52) you won't get more out of it.

The VF46 isn't really an upgrade to a 40.

With a blown turbo there are other things you need to inspect otherwise your car will keep eating them.

Look at the blown turbo wiki.

Thanks for the responses guys! Ya i was planning on doing a downpipe and upipe as well as a tune to get it all done together. And i believe the turbo went bad because of the previous owner starving the car from oil once and he said its screwed the turbo up since. I also had it checked out by RA Worx just to make sure there was no more damage and to confirm it was the turbo that was blown. My last question is the td05-18g a better option than the vf52?

Thanks for the responses guys! Ya i was planning on doing a downpipe and upipe as well as a tune to get it all done together. And i believe the turbo went bad because of the previous owner starving the car from oil once and he said its screwed the turbo up since. I also had it checked out by RA Worx just to make sure there was no more damage and to confirm it was the turbo that was blown. My last question is the td05-18g a better option than the vf52?

VF52 will be a better daily turbo, while still giving you the extra power over stock.

-Brian

Contact us for all your tuning and performance parts needs! Etuning the legacy community since 2008!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

This was the exact same scenario I was in around this time last year. My VF40 went and I decided to replace that with a VF52. I also did a grimmspeed catted downpipe, catless uppipe, intake, tgv deletes, and catback exhaust. I then went straight to Tuning Alliance for a Dyno-tune session and made 263awhp/270awtq on the final tune. Really happy with how it ran. The only thing to note was my stock clutch started slipping on the dyno and then on the road after... so I had to replace my clutch. All in all, I recommend doing the vf52 and a few supporting mods. Really brightens up the car, especially with the guys at TA. Good luck.

This was the exact same scenario I was in around this time last year. My VF40 went and I decided to replace that with a VF52. I also did a grimmspeed catted downpipe, catless uppipe, intake, tgv deletes, and catback exhaust. I then went straight to Tuning Alliance for a Dyno-tune session and made 263awhp/270awtq on the final tune. Really happy with how it ran. The only thing to note was my stock clutch started slipping on the dyno and then on the road after... so I had to replace my clutch. All in all, I recommend doing the vf52 and a few supporting mods. Really brightens up the car, especially with the guys at TA. Good luck.

Thanks man ill be upgrading to the vf52 then. :)

Can Brian get you a price on a vf52 ? I'm sure you can PM him.

Can't say enough, buy these type parts from a Vendor on the forum, you can trust them.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Can Brian get you a price on a vf52 ? I'm sure you can PM him.

Can't say enough, buy these type parts from a Vendor on the forum, you can trust them.

They are like 1200 new, better to find a blown one 200-300 and rebuild it for 250 bucks. What I did with mine.

-Brian

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

There BB turbo's that will work, you just have to do a custom set up. Just depends on how much you want to spend.

Brian may know more...?

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• 2 weeks later...
Are there any ball bearing turbo options for our cars? I haven't found any yet.

There BB turbo's that will work, you just have to do a custom set up. Just depends on how much you want to spend.

Brian may know more...?

Don't think so for direct fitment. If you are going down that route I highly suggest you look into Borg Warner EFR turbos over BB.

-Brian

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

There's also KillerB's stock-location Garrett GTX setups. Spendy but they make good stuff, I have their exhaust manifold. If I were starting over today I'd probably go that route rather than the ATP turbo that I bought a few years ago.

I have a GrimmSpeed TMIC, they sell a turbo output hose that lets you run a STI turbo, so I might look into those. My question is whether the oil and coolant lines would fit, or would I have to replace/ modify them to line up with the STI fitment turbo?

Archived