LegacyGT.com

Lighting Observations and Questions

Thanks a lot for the reviews and the links as well. I'll have to save this page for if I decide to upgrade in the future. Do you blind oncoming drivers at all?

Nope

Lighting Mods

Low Beams: D4S - OSRAM XENARC 66440 CBI HID BULBS

Highbeam/DRL: 9005 - OSRAM NIGHT BREAKER UNLIMITED 9005NBUHCB BULBS

Fog: H11 - OSRAM NIGHT BREAKER UNLIMITED 64211NBU-01B BULBS

Subaru 20mm RSB

My suggestion to those who in the same boat are D4S Morimoto 5500k pair with Motimoto LED Fog if you're driving in city and rains a lot. Morimoto bulbs put more lights in the hotspot so it looks brighter than CBI. I went through two pairs of Osram CBI on a RX-350 Bi-xenon retrofit on my 2015 Legacy. Now I just run Morimoto bulbs. CBI has a more even light distribution throughout the beam, basically much sharper cut off but a tad dimmer vs morimoto more bright in the center not as sharp but it feels like it's 10% brighter if you drive mainly in the city and rains.

I like my Morimoto 5500k bulbs also, mine are paired with Philips 6000k LED fogs. Overall, much whiter, nicer light output.

My suggestion to those who in the same boat are D4S Morimoto 5500k pair with Motimoto LED Fog if you're driving in city and rains a lot. Morimoto bulbs put more lights in the hotspot so it looks brighter than CBI. I went through two pairs of Osram CBI on a RX-350 Bi-xenon retrofit on my 2015 Legacy. Now I just run Morimoto bulbs. CBI has a more even light distribution throughout the beam, basically much sharper cut off but a tad dimmer vs morimoto more bright in the center not as sharp but it feels like it's 10% brighter if you drive mainly in the city and rains.

Thanks.

I wanted to change as little as possible. I've played with conversions before as well.

Lighting Mods

Low Beams: D4S - OSRAM XENARC 66440 CBI HID BULBS

Highbeam/DRL: 9005 - OSRAM NIGHT BREAKER UNLIMITED 9005NBUHCB BULBS

Fog: H11 - OSRAM NIGHT BREAKER UNLIMITED 64211NBU-01B BULBS

Subaru 20mm RSB

Good Day Everyone,

Just thought I'd report back.

I'm VERY happy with the new lamp setup.

Low Beams:

D4S - OSRAM XENARC 66440 CBI HID BULBS

http://www.xenondepot.com/d4s-cbi-66...p/66440cbi.htm

Highbeam/DRL

9005 - OSRAM NIGHT BREAKER UNLIMITED 9005NBUHCB BULBS

http://www.xenondepot.com/9005-osram...-p/9005nbu.htm

Fog:

H11 - OSRAM NIGHT BREAKER UNLIMITED 64211NBU-01B BULBS

http://www.xenondepot.com/h11-osram-...211nbu-01b.htm

To my eyes and the opinions of a few passengers:

MUCH better night road illumination and better in the rain as well.

The Original Low Beams were:

Philips D4S XenEco lamps.

The Osram lapms are slightly whiter and seem to have a bit more forward illumination without eyestrain.

The OEM Highbeams were Sylvania lamps, the OSRAM replacements DO make a bit of difference for high beam use but I'm not sure about "bang for the buck"

The fogs were OSRAM lamps but a different model.

Current ones are slightly whiter, slightly longer and wider beam pattern. The added width looks a bit odd in tight spaces but alright on the road.

(Just have to get used to Subaru and other modern cars using the fogs as necessary auxiliary lights. ;-)

Got a great price from XenonDepot with the Labor Day Sale.

Shipping was fast as well.

Hope this helps.

Cheers.

Did you have to use the CANBus adapter for your low beams?

If you have OEM HID lights, you unplug the connector to the ballast, rotate the rear cap (the ballast) and it pops off, then unplug the bulb, open the wire clips, put the new bulb in place and put it back in reverse order.

Just don't touch the bulb glass with your bare fingers, or it might die prematurely.

If you don't have HID, wrong thread.

Or if you look at the owners manual, it tells you to bring it to the dealer. It is 5 minute job to do it yourself, once you figure out how to swap bulbs.

All 6th gen legacy models have projector lowbeam headlights, not all have HID's, lift the hood and look at the back of the light, if it looks like a normal connector you can spin out and pull the bulb, it is a halogen low beam.

If it looks like a sealed unit, HID.

All 6th gen legacy models have projector lowbeam headlights, not all have HID's, lift the hood and look at the back of the light, if it looks like a normal connector you can spin out and pull the bulb, it is a halogen low beam.

Well I'll be damned. I've just got regular halogens. Glad I didn't waste my money! Any recommendations or directions you can point me if I wanted to upgrade my low beams?

H11 to H9 bulb swap is the most bang for the buck, google it.

Then you just need to buy the bulbs, and an exacto knife. From what I remember, it is a simple thing to trim the bulb base, and buy decent but clear (not 'blue' bulbs).

Prior to my D2S HID refit in the WRX, I had the higher watt low beams, there was no excessive heat or damage to the Subaru OEM projector reflector.

Of course, another option is to do a retrofit, which means removing headlights, opening them, and putting in a decent HID projector housing, wiring the ballasts, etc. This wasn't too terrible on the WRX. I will say the stock halogen projectors are very cheaply constructed, and any decent aftermarket HID projector (H1 or D2S) is way better.

I would recommend you do not insert HID kits into your OEM projector, nor LED bulbs. The stock projectors are not designed with correct cut off for HID level light output, and LED bulbs are just never going to be as good as halogen for useable light output in your stock OEM projectors.

The Retrofit Source is a good place to look at options. That is where I bought the HID D2S kit from for my WRX.

On non-US markets LED also exists.

I have LED low beams on my Outback.

453747.png

H11 to H9 bulb swap is the most bang for the buck, google it.

Then you just need to buy the bulbs, and an exacto knife. From what I remember, it is a simple thing to trim the bulb base, and buy decent but clear (not 'blue' bulbs).

Prior to my D2S HID refit in the WRX, I had the higher watt low beams, there was no excessive heat or damage to the Subaru OEM projector reflector.

Of course, another option is to do a retrofit, which means removing headlights, opening them, and putting in a decent HID projector housing, wiring the ballasts, etc. This wasn't too terrible on the WRX. I will say the stock halogen projectors are very cheaply constructed, and any decent aftermarket HID projector (H1 or D2S) is way better.

I would recommend you do not insert HID kits into your OEM projector, nor LED bulbs. The stock projectors are not designed with correct cut off for HID level light output, and LED bulbs are just never going to be as good as halogen for useable light output in your stock OEM projectors.

The Retrofit Source is a good place to look at options. That is where I bought the HID D2S kit from for my WRX.

Thanks for the in-depth response. I did some research on retrofitting, as well as the H11 to H9 swap. I decided to just leave it be. The light output is good enough and I don't want to go through the effort nor spend the money on it.

• 1 year later...
You mentioned that your 3.6R is a limited however I'm pretty sure all 3.6R's are limited, then it's just what options does it have - moon roof, eye sight, nav, or mix match of them. That said I'm curious if my 3.6R is HID and how you tell?

You mentioned that your 3.6R is a limited however I'm pretty sure all 3.6R's are limited, then it's just what options does it have - moon roof, eye sight, nav, or mix match of them. That said I'm curious if my 3.6R is HID and how you tell?

As far as I know, all '15-'17 3.6R Limited models came standard with HID headlights. Also, in the US in particular, all 3.6Rs are Limiteds (not sure about Canada). HID was an option offered on the 2.5i Limited. All others get Halogen headlights.

The story is similar on the '18. The 3.6R Limited come standard with LED steering responsive headlights. It is an option on the 2.5i Limited. All others have halogen headlights.

The easiest way to tell would be to pop the hood and check. On the '15-'17, the HID lights will a rectangular metal ballast behind the projector. The won't be the case on a halogen lamp.

As far as I know, all '15-'17 3.6R Limited models came standard with HID headlights. Also, in the US in particular, all 3.6Rs are Limiteds (not sure about Canada). HID was an option offered on the 2.5i Limited. All others get Halogen headlights.

The story is similar on the '18. The 3.6R Limited come standard with LED steering responsive headlights. It is an option on the 2.5i Limited. All others have halogen headlights.

The easiest way to tell would be to pop the hood and check. On the '15-'17, the HID lights will a rectangular metal ballast behind the projector. The won't be the case on a halogen lamp.

Correct they’re all limited that was what I thought. I bought it for the Mrs so when I’m home I’ll take a look and see.

Correct they’re all limited that was what I thought. I bought it for the Mrs so when I’m home I’ll take a look and see.

IIRC, Canada had 3 trim lines (touring, limited, limited w/tech pkg) in the 3.6R but that looks like only until 2017. The 2018 model year web page shows only 1

Archived