LegacyGT.com

Brake upgrade options for Gen 3 Legacy

MikeC5

I searched and read through the brake upgrade threads here but still have some questions. I'd like to see if there is a 'low cost' upgrade to the stock brakes on my '03 Legacy L wagon w/AT. It has 2 piston calipers on front, single in rear and 16 inch wheels (which I'm pretty sure are the originals). Over the last few years I've replaced master cyl, rebuilt all calipers, installed new flexible lines, etc. and still the brakes do not feel very good. They are a little squishy (I have bled them 3 times since new flex lines) and just seem wimpier than the stock brakes on my '02 OB (5 speed). I don't think the OB rotors or calipers are any larger so I'm not sure why this would be. I'm using medium grade semi-metallic pads from Autozone on both cars. Is there a bolt on upgrade in the form of used Subaru brakes from another model that would improve things (street driving only)?

4th gen GT brakes would be an upgrade. But you would have to run 17 inch wheels. But you can upgrade pads and rotors on what you have. On my 2nd gen I run Stoptech street pads and Hawk HPS pads on my 4th gen. I like them both.

• 3 weeks later...
It sems that '02 & 1/2 and up OB front rotors are 294mm compared to the 276mm rotors on the car now. Calipers are same so all I need is the mount brackets. The pads are different (a bit larger). Not a huge upgrade but should be noticeable. I'm not too worried about brake dust but would like pads with more bite (but must work in cold temps, 0 F, too) and quiet. Any recommendations? I've been using Autozone semi-metallics but am willing to pay more for something with better performance (less effort).

Archived