LegacyGT.com

Boost leak or something else?

Ok so pretty much since I've had this car I've heard this high pitch whistle or metal 'ting' that I can hear after I let the throttle of some of the time and I can't figure out what it is. Any clues? You can hear it better ahttps://vimeo.com/180549076fter the second time I let off the throttle. Wondering if I have a leak somewhere maybe? The sounds been there through the a new turbo, downpipe, turbo inlet, and intake so if it was a leak I would've think I'd have found it.

Sent from your bedroom closet ]-.-[

You need to do a boost/vacuum leak test. Plug the big hose coming off the air filter box with a pint size paint can, pull the smaal hose off the blow off valve and give that hose a short quick blast of air from a compressor and put your thumb over the hose, listen for leaks.

You should have air come out of the hose when you remove your thumb after a few seconds.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

You need to do a boost/vacuum leak test. Plug the big hose coming off the air filter box with a pint size paint can, pull the smaal hose off the blow off valve and give that hose a short quick blast of air from a compressor and put your thumb over the hose, listen for leaks.

You should have air come out of the hose when you remove your thumb after a few seconds.

Sounds like a boost leak to me. Second what Max_Capacity said, this is how we do our boost leak tests.

-Brian

whelp. sealed the turbo inlet and blew some compressed air into the bpv line and couldn't hear any leaks. Left it plugged for about 8 seconds and still had air come back out when I took my thumb off. I did however tighten up the GS intake coupler that goes onto the inlet and intake metal tube. Stuck my go pro inside the engine bay and couldn't get the noise again so it may be fixed from whatever I did

Are you running an aftermarket intercooler? When my car started running funny the stock intercooler was leaking and it was really hard to pickup from where it was leaking through a boostleak test. After it got much worse where the car wouldnt run at idle it was much easier to spot but it was too late. I had to replace the stock IC with something better

03 WRB WRX (RIP)

04 JBP STI (sold)

07 DGM Legacy GT (RIP)

12 OBP STI (DD)

no I have a bulletproofed stock IC. Wish I could justify a GS or something but this seems to work fine and can't see any reason to change it yet

Well just make sure you check the whole intercooler.. mine was leaking in a spot that the "bulletproof" kit wouldnt have fixed. Good luck!

03 WRB WRX (RIP)

04 JBP STI (sold)

07 DGM Legacy GT (RIP)

12 OBP STI (DD)

Archived