LegacyGT.com

Inlet removal write up?

Hello,

Perhaps I cast my net too wide, or even not wide enough, but I'm not finding much for removing the inlet. I'm sorta using the Perrin install instructions but they seem to maybe be missing the PCV? hose deal that's under the intake.

Or should I just bite the bullet and pull the intake?

Walkthroughs for either would be awesome!

Thank you again!

SC

1994 Legacy MI

2008 Legacy GT specB

2023 Crosstrek Limited

Your taking the stock unit off or a Perrin? Perrin isn't setup with the fake connector.

Regardless of type.

You'll need to loosen the wire loom cover to get to the PCV connection hose.

All the hoses connected need to be off first.

If it's bad and your replacing because you can just break off the connections aside from the BOV hose.

What exactly are you struggling with?

It's the stock one, and it's torn where it goes on the turbo. I'm using the Perrin instructions as they assume that I'm removing the stock one.

Removing the two bolts from the wiring loom doesn't seem to give me the access that the instructions show, but the instructions are a bit vague. All of the other hoses (the ones at the front of the inlet) have been disconnected. I am having a bit of a problem disconnecting the sensor connector that is on the bracket and located behind the alternator. Squeezing the tab, and lifting the tab, don't seem to get it to release. So I can't seem to get any extra space there...

So the main problem seems to be that the PCV hose zigzags under the intake runners, and seems to be snagging on something preventing me from pulling the inlet out. At least I think it's the PCV hose...

Looking at the pictures for the one that's for sale right now, it looks like the PCV and the BOV hose are the problems.

SC

1994 Legacy MI

2008 Legacy GT specB

2023 Crosstrek Limited

Ok yes these are the PITA to get to but not impossible.

The white connector on the the PCV hose is a slip fit. Best to take the wire connector off first. Screwdrivers used like extended fingers will help.

For the BOV I beleive there is a spring clamp stock. I've used worm gears on that connection for too long I don't remember what came stock.

For that one f it is a spring clamp first back off the clamp with some long needle nose pliers or anything you can use to get that clamp compressed and pulled away from the inlet connection.

For some extra working room you can take the plastic manifold that ties the heads together and connects to the inlet as well all out. But you have to wiggle it away from the wire loom.

Its a tight fit so you may need to use a flat head screwdriver to pop it off.

05 and 06 have the "leak detector". You just take it off and place the hose on the nipple.

If you like the bridge clip can be pulled from the "leak detector" and jammed back in to the connector and tucked away for safe keeping.

When I had a Perrin intake on mine for a while just tucked the entire leak detector under the intake disconnected from the hose. I didn't loose it that way.

YMMV

I used my hose picks to pop that clamp that's right under opening in between the intake runners, and I had to use my small vice grips to release the clamp for the blow off return hose. I used the long hose pick tools to A) pull the whole inlet back against the intake runners, and B) to push the Blow Off Return Hose off.

I'm not looking forward to putting the replacement inlet back in!

SC

1994 Legacy MI

2008 Legacy GT specB

2023 Crosstrek Limited

For the record Smithcraft, the inlet I have for sale does not look like the one CovertRussian pulled on his. There is no PVC leak detector on mine, just a straight port out of the inlet where that would be on the older (05 and 06) cars.

Mine didn't have a PCV mounting point at all, I had to Tee into another hole in the inlet. I also just pulled the piece of metal out and plugged it into the "leak detector" plug, then taped it.

Moving the PCV attachment had an unexpected benefit too, my oil consumption went down. The reason is, the further away the mount point from the turbo, the less vacuum there is to suck in all the oily blow by.

I'm not looking forward to putting the replacement inlet back in!

SC

Putting it back in is actually not that hard, no where near as bad as the WRX/STI guys have it, the hardest part was getting the BOV clamps on.

05 LGT 16G 14psi 290whp/30mpg (SOLD)

12 OBP Stock 130whp/27mpg@87 Oct

00 G20t GT28r 10psi 250whp/36mpg

22 Ascent STOCK

Mine didn't have a PCV mounting point at all, I had to Tee into another hole in the inlet. I also just pulled the piece of metal out and plugged it into the "leak detector" plug, then taped it.

Moving the PCV attachment had an unexpected benefit too, my oil consumption went down. The reason is, the further away the mount point from the turbo, the less vacuum there is to suck in all the oily blow by.

Putting it back in is actually not that hard, no where near as bad as the WRX/STI guys have it, the hardest part was getting the BOV clamps on.

Wish I would of thought of that, will the PCV leak detector even throw a code?

Archived