LegacyGT.com

MT Guys: Hard shift Thump?

Any of you getting thumps during hard shifts? Common cause for other cars is bad motor mounts but from what I could tell mine look fine, though it might be the new style front mount (I miss the pitchstop kind of mount).

It's funny that my 05 GT has a much quieter reving motor and doesn't mind hard shifts at all, but the 12 outback feels more like a truck :lol:

05 LGT 16G 14psi 290whp/30mpg (SOLD)

12 OBP Stock 130whp/27mpg@87 Oct

00 G20t GT28r 10psi 250whp/36mpg

22 Ascent STOCK

Is there a STi tranny mount you can install.

When I put that on my 05 wagon back shortly after I bought it, it made a big difference by tightening up the drivetrain.

The STi rear tranny mount is a solid chunk of rubber.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

The thump you describe sounds familiar. Has existed since new. The ouback has taught me to shift quick, not hard. Easily one of the less forgiving modern transmissions I've driven, wife is terrified of driving it in stop/go or on slopes. Let us know if you find something that helps.

I guess I'm kind of happy to hear that this is normal, but annoyed that there might not be an easy fix (like replacing a motor mount).

I'm gonna also try to replace the shifter bushing and do the clutch damper bypass, either of those two might be preventing a proper shift.

05 LGT 16G 14psi 290whp/30mpg (SOLD)

12 OBP Stock 130whp/27mpg@87 Oct

00 G20t GT28r 10psi 250whp/36mpg

22 Ascent STOCK

Archived