LegacyGT.com

2017 Legacy

Xraytech631

Hey folks, I'm looking to upgrade from a 2010 Grand Cherokee to a 2017 Legacy. I had a 2.5 Limited priced out with all the bells and whistles on Edmunds and it came out to be about 30,500. Is that a good deal? Are all the eyesight stuff really worth it?

Eyesight is worth it in my opinion, but it varies by driving style and location. Thankfully, I haven't been in a situation where crash avoidance has kicked in, but I absolutely love the cruise control. It works very well, and when I'm in my OBXT I miss that feature. It does add up to a higher purchase price and it may not get you a discount on insurance depending on who your coverage is through.

Now is a great time to buy a new Legacy with the financing and lease promos. Subaru wants to sell some Legacys.

If you are willing to drive a bit I can connect you with a manager at Van Bortel Subaru. Even if you don't want to go that far I'm happy to answer any questions or help out if I can.

I am not affiliated with Van Bortel or any other dealer for that matter.

Current: 16 Crosstrek Premium w/ Eyesight & 05 Outback XT 5MT

Past Subies: 14 FXT Premium, 14 WRX hatch, 06 Legacy 2.5i SE 5MT, 98 Outback wagon

I'm waiting for delivery of a 2017 Legacy 3.6R w/remote start for $30,210. Originally, this same dealer quoted $30,700. Went to another dealership who quoted $30,490 and once I told them that quote, they lowered their price. This is the sale price before taxes.

Before all this, I was trying to get a 2016 and I got quoted (w/remote start, out the door with NJ tax):

$30836 - Red, car had 222 miles on it and made a thumping noise at 40 MPH. Wife's preferred color.

$30500 - White, car had 122 miles on it but had some scuff marks on the inside door panels (shoes, probably removable) and not my wife's color preference. Shouldn't have let this one go because there were other options installed the dealer wasn't aware of.

$30700 - Twilight Blue, perfect until the f'ng dealer hacked up the car with a $50 crap remote start instead of the Subaru remote start. Also not my wife's preferred color but liked it more than white. Backed out of that deal too but I still see it in their inventory and looks like they discounted it by $1500 off MSRP.

Eyesight is worth it in my opinion, but it varies by driving style and location. Thankfully, I haven't been in a situation where crash avoidance has kicked in, but I absolutely love the cruise control. It works very well, and when I'm in my OBXT I miss that feature. It does add up to a higher purchase price and it may not get you a discount on insurance depending on who your coverage is through.

Now is a great time to buy a new Legacy with the financing and lease promos. Subaru wants to sell some Legacys.

If you are willing to drive a bit I can connect you with a manager at Van Bortel Subaru. Even if you don't want to go that far I'm happy to answer any questions or help out if I can.

I am not affiliated with Van Bortel or any other dealer for that matter.

That dealer is about 6 hours from me. Unless I'm getting a steal I'm gonna be looking a bit more locally. I have Allstate. I'm hoping my insurance won't go up too much. If I can get s 3.6 with eyesight for around 30k I'll be a happy camper. Looking like I'll be keeping my grand Cherokee til around March and then I'll actively be pursuing grabbing one of these. Warranty is up in April.

I'm waiting for delivery of a 2017 Legacy 3.6R w/remote start for $30,210. Originally, this same dealer quoted $30,700. Went to another dealership who quoted $30,490 and once I told them that quote, they lowered their price. This is the sale price before taxes.

Before all this, I was trying to get a 2016 and I got quoted (w/remote start, out the door with NJ tax):

$30836 - Red, car had 222 miles on it and made a thumping noise at 40 MPH. Wife's preferred color.

$30500 - White, car had 122 miles on it but had some scuff marks on the inside door panels (shoes, probably removable) and not my wife's color preference. Shouldn't have let this one go because there were other options installed the dealer wasn't aware of.

$30700 - Twilight Blue, perfect until the f'ng dealer hacked up the car with a $50 crap remote start instead of the Subaru remote start. Also not my wife's preferred color but liked it more than white. Backed out of that deal too but I still see it in their inventory and looks like they discounted it by $1500 off MSRP.

Which dealer did you use? Is that with eyesight?

That dealer is about 6 hours from me. Unless I'm getting a steal I'm gonna be looking a bit more locally. I have Allstate. I'm hoping my insurance won't go up too much. If I can get s 3.6 with eyesight for around 30k I'll be a happy camper. Looking like I'll be keeping my grand Cherokee til around March and then I'll actively be pursuing grabbing one of these. Warranty is up in April.

Shop around. We traded a 14 FXT for a 16 Crosstrek with eyesight and Allstate wanted to increase our premium. Needless to say, I shopped around before picking the Crosstrek up.

Past Subies: 14 FXT Premium, 14 WRX hatch, 06 Legacy 2.5i SE 5MT, 98 Outback wagon

Damn that's a steal! How's your gas mileage. I'm on Long Island. Might have to go to NJ though

I'm averaging 20mpgs but Im in alot of stop and go traffic. Also my car has been idling alot in this heat so my ac can cool the car before i get in. My mother in law lives in flushing and she bought her car in NJ. Less shady dealers and I think lower sales taxes.

Which dealer did you use? Is that with eyesight?

These are all without Eyesight. For the 2017, my original quote was from Liberty Subaru and got the second quote from Ramsey Subaru. Liberty lowered their price and I got a recommendation from a friend about them so I figured I'd stick with them. Ramsey does have an impressive service department tho.

For those 2016s, the Red was at Ramsey, white was at Island Subaru in NYC and the Twilight Blue was at Rye Subaru in NY.

• 3 weeks later...
I'm averaging 20mpgs but Im in alot of stop and go traffic. Also my car has been idling alot in this heat so my ac can cool the car before i get in. My mother in law lives in flushing and she bought her car in NJ. Less shady dealers and I think lower sales taxes.

How you feel driving 3.6R? Is it quick enough? Does it give fun. I am also in Market for 3.6R.

I have a 2006 Legacy GT Ltd, and I test drove the 2016 Outback 3.6R for an entire day (city, highway and everything in between). I was really worried that the CVT would kill the fun, but I honestly felt the car was very responsive and actually felt more powerful than my LGT. I think it has to do with the fact that there's no turbo lag, and the larger engine providing the power instead.

The 3.6R is a much quieter ride. the engine has a easier time drive up hills.

On the test drive of both engines on the same long hill, the 3.6 was much better.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Doesn't sound like a headache at all. The Legacy is hands down the way to go.

How you feel driving 3.6R? Is it quick enough? Does it give fun. I am also in Market for 3.6R.

Yes the 3.6R is quick enough and is fun but not as fun to drive as my wife's mini cooper S. I really like Subaru of Morristown. Don't go to any Paul Miller dealership. The legacy is very comfortable.

Archived