LegacyGT.com

Lots of problems from tuning to misfires :(

Well I already have the intake installed so I guess it is a lost cause now haha.

It will be fine after your finished with the tune. Whoever your using will make sure the car is happy with all the parts you have installed

03 WRB WRX (RIP)

04 JBP STI (sold)

07 DGM Legacy GT (RIP)

12 OBP STI (DD)

So tuning is going eh... Got the map from tuning alliance and well I was told my EBCS was hooked up wrong. I check the hoses and everything is good I even try to connect the compressor housing boost line to the turbo inlet like they said and should have only gotten like 7-9 psi l. Nope a whopping 21 psi. I am lost please help what else I can do.

On the stock VF-40 sometimes the roll pin that locates the shaft the wastegate flapper turns on comes loose and the flapper jams. Connect a hand pump to the WG actuator and eyeball the rod and arm moving to confirm it works.
Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

On the stock VF-40 sometimes the roll pin that locates the shaft the wastegate flapper turns on comes loose and the flapper jams. Connect a hand pump to the WG actuator and eyeball the rod and arm moving to confirm it works.

So I put about 15 psi through the wastegate and I saw the road moved, but when I released the pressure the rod stayed in the same place... :confused: Is there a problem with the wastegate?

So I put about 15 psi through the wastegate and I saw the road moved, but when I released the pressure the rod stayed in the same place... :confused: Is there a problem with the wastegate?

Yes, it sounds like it's sticking. Stock actuators should crack open around 8psi btw.

Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

Yes, it sounds like it's sticking. Stock actuators should crack open around 8psi btw.

Ok so I have decided since the catless downpipe causes boost creep or overboosting, I might as well go with a EWG for $680 and weld the flap closed.

Catless DP doesn't cause overboost / boost creep on a 4th gen. That's usually a stuck wastegate like yours appears to be, or a tune issue. Pick up a trashed VF-40 for under $100, swap the exhaust housing over, good to go. On a tiny snail like that an EWG will be open literally all the time. You'll be sick of the noise in days rather than weeks.

Catless DP doesn't cause overboost / boost creep on a 4th gen. That's usually a stuck wastegate like yours appears to be, or a tune issue. Pick up a trashed VF-40 for under $100, swap the exhaust housing over, good to go. On a tiny snail like that an EWG will be open literally all the time. You'll be sick of the noise in days rather than weeks.

Is there any issue running a EWG? and some other members said before that the catless downpipe can cause overboosting or do I have another problem?

You might be mixing up 4th and 5th gen horror stories.

You are definitely mixing 4th and 5th gen horror stories.

Some 5th gen owners are having issues with overboost on catless DP's.

When I had my 4th gen, my invidia catless dp properly tuned NEVER overboosted. That car never overboosted actually...

I also wouldn't waste your time with an EWG.

Ok so as a VF 40 stands it'll cost me a few hundred bucks. Or I could upgrade now and to a rotated setup since I already have all the things for a swap except the intercooler. I just need it to work what are my best options?

What is your goal with the car?

Rally Car lol I know these are meant for street and track but I want a legacy rally car about 330awhp 400 lbs

I would also like to say I have tgv that are already deleted and I have a STi manifold that I got for free to I was planning on doing the STi swap with the turbo and that but this may make things get pushed back.

Archived