LegacyGT.com

Water Pump Failure

So I noticed that the coolant from my reservoir is being used up a little every few days. I have checked for leaks and I discovered that it seems to be leaking from the bottom of the valve cover, driver's side. The point of where it's leaking is right above a little hose (see attached picture).

My car seems to leak a good amount on cold start ups in the morning, after being parked all night. After that, it won't leak that bad but at times you can smell the smell of burnt coolant.

My question is, does this mean the water pump is failing?

Any help is appreciated.

1673765998_IMG_2510(1).thumb.JPG.c1f0da93771850232e32b1de0ca57c0d.JPG

Are you sure the little hose isn't leaking? And that it's actually coming from above it?

When was the last time your water pump was changed?

I have leak in that same area too. I just cleaned everything though and think mine might be the little hose.

http://i.imgur.com/C2lXrvw.jpg?1

Are you sure the little hose isn't leaking? And that it's actually coming from above it?

When was the last time your water pump was changed?

I have leak in that same area too. I just cleaned everything though and think mine might be the little hose.

http://i.imgur.com/C2lXrvw.jpg?1

Thanks for your input! I am not entirely sure! I got under the car and looked at it from an angle, and it seemed to be dropping on top of that hose and then sliding down to the floor. I inspected the hose and poked it to see if it was ripped, it didn't seem like it. I will double check again.

Most likely its just the hose.

Water pump will normally drip out of the weep hole. Mine did at 20,000 miles.

If that's the case, would just replacing the hose be sufficient? Would you happen to know the name/part number?

Also, what is the weep hole you're referring to?

Any dealer can get you that hose, stop by or call your local Subaru dealer parts guy's.

Under the neck on the water pump is a weep hole. They all have them even as far back the 1950's. If the bearing is going coolant will drip out of the hole.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Any dealer can get you that hose, stop by or call your local Subaru dealer parts guy's.

Under the neck on the water pump is a weep hole. They all have them even as far back the 1950's. If the bearing is going coolant will drip out of the hole.

Thanks for the clarification. I will check it out again.

If the weep hole is leaking, it will drop on the exhaust heat shield if I remember right. I would see the vapor come out the hood when I backed into the parking spot at work.

The Gates water pump had 20,000 miles on it.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

So I put some plastic weld on the hose to see if the leaking stopped a little, to determine whether the hose is what's leaking.

It didn't stop the leaking at all, it made it more clear that the leak is coming from directly above the hose (see pics). The weird thing is that sometimes it leaks a lot and others, not that much. The leaking is not falling directly onto the exhaust heat shield so there is no vapor but the cabin does smell of burnt coolant from time to time.

So would this mean it's the water pump? Or what can it be? I can't really see where its coming from, it just looks like it's coming from the inside of the timing belt cover.

IMG_2515.thumb.JPG.3e06e817c0baab7fd9748e689c2b3559.JPG

My gates pump failed pretty quickly. It ate a hole in the housing of the waterpump and spewed all the coolant everywhere.

If you dont have a hole, I would check the hoses above - I have noticed many times chasing down a leak that it can leak high up on the engine and trickle down and leak from the lowest point.

If the weep hole is leaking, it will drop on the exhaust heat shield if I remember right. I would see the vapor come out the hood when I backed into the parking spot at work.

The Gates water pump had 20,000 miles on it.

I accidentally tore one of those heater hoses and it ran down the curvature of the hose and dripped onto the exhaust.

If it's coming from behind the cover it's definitely the water pump. Perhaps a coolant pressure tester will yield a more clarified answer as to where it's coming from in real time if you are not sure it's from behind the timing belt cover.

How many miles since the timing belt was replaced ?

If it due, might as well do that job, that will replace the water pump and you can replace those hoses too and may be think about the coolant crossover tube to the oil cooler.

How many miles since the timing belt was replaced ?

If it due, might as well do that job, that will replace the water pump and you can replace those hoses too and may be think about the coolant crossover tube to the oil cooler.

The timing belt, water pump, radiator, lower radiator hose and serpentine belt, were all changed at 121k.

The car is currently at 172k. I just replaced the radiator, thermostat, and radiator hoses about two months ago.

50,000 miles ago...gee, if it's the water pump...how long do you plan to keep the car...might be worth replacing the belt while replacing the water pump.

Hopefully this is just a small hose.

50,000 miles ago...gee, if it's the water pump...how long do you plan to keep the car...might be worth replacing the belt while replacing the water pump.

Hopefully this is just a small hose.

Yeah, if it's he water pump, I was planning on replacing the timing belt. If I do all that, then I have to keep it for another couple of years to justify the cost lol.

I hope it's a hose as well but I can't find the cause of it.

Also an update, it's definitely only leaking on cold starts after being parked all night, for the most part. After the first start of the day, it doesn't leak after on any other start ups.

Don't know if that information would help diagnose it?

Archived