LegacyGT.com

Newb wanting to get preventative issues solved.

I plan on buying the killer b ultimate oil pickup. The previous owner took out the filter of the OEM, but I'd rather do it right.

I also read, in the stickies, the oil line should be upgraded. Saw infamous as a good brand, but I'm unable to find it. Their site didn't have it. Would the one for a WRX work on our cars? Seems a lot of parts are interchangeable. But not all. Sorry if these are dumb questions. I'm new to turbos and have a lot to learn. Normally after a week, I've picked up on most things. This car has me spinning in circles, between the saggy ass and which suspension I want, and all the bolt on parts for the turbo. I have way more questions about that stuff, but I'll try to spread them out and focus on the preventative maintenance for now.

08 LGT spec b.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Read this:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/reliability-modifications-178342.html?t=178342

The oil lines / filter in the later model years seems to be better designed. I am not sure that I have seen any VF46s fail in the same way the VF40s were. The orientation is different which maybe cause them to be less prone to clogging.

There really is no need for an upgraded oil line / filter on them OEM turbo. I would consider replacing the filter in your oem line. If you do your oil changes like you are supposed to all should be good.

Don't make any changes until you figure out what they are and why you want them. Focus on one area first and deal with that. Especially if you are new to the cars.

Has the timing belt / waterpump / thermostat service been done?

I'd just replace the oil line with an OEM part from the dealer. I did the one on my 08 spec b just a few weeks ago - it was getting old.

you're being smart attacking the preventative maintenance first!

as Rhitter mentioned, another big one for our cars is the timing belt service to include all idlers, water pump/thermostat and tensioner. I recommend all OEM parts since the gates kits are hit and miss lately... more expensive that way, but only needs to happen every 90k miles or so many years down the road...

look out for cracked/torn bushings under the car - replace with polyurathane and you'll get a nice improvement in feel. check for torn axle boots - get those replaced if needed.

Timing belt was done. I've got to confirm that with someone who knows more than I do. But pulleys and belt looked new. I may just do it anyway and with OEM stuff. I did read about gates kits not being the best. And not knowing which kit was used, I'd rather be on the safe side. Tstat, not sure about.

Car does have a front pass CV boot leaking. Saw that before I bought the car. And in my searching a today I did see the bushings go bad and lead to clunking. Which I have at very low speeds when I hit even the smallest bump.

Thanks for the help.

So reading more about the oil lines and pickup, the previous owner took the filter out. He said it was a major cause for failure if it got clogged. Seems to me it's just something that needs to be checked. So I should get a new one and put it back in? Or am I missing something. I think I'd rather have to check a filter than not have one there at all.

So reading more about the oil lines and pickup, the previous owner took the filter out. He said it was a major cause for failure if it got clogged. Seems to me it's just something that needs to be checked. So I should get a new one and put it back in? Or am I missing something. I think I'd rather have to check a filter than not have one there at all.

The banjo bolt filter has caused more problems than it has solved, so you are better off without one.

453747.png

Again you have a 2008, not an 05-06. You should be fine with the stock oil feed set up.

Just drive the car and keep up with the oil changes. Hint, these cars like to be driven for distance. They will not do will if you drive it 2 miles and shut it off every day. They need to be run on the highway for a distance to get things warmed up and keep them clean.

My 09 Spec B mainly gets driven to diner on Saturday nights. It's a 12 mile run on the highway to the exit where everything is.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Archived