LegacyGT.com

Murphy's Law and the Banjo Bolt Washer

Week two consisted of oil change and coolant change on account of leaking on the oil filter and suspected oil cooler o-ring. so i struggled through the whole thing, managed to install my Fumoto 105 (no clearance issues) and on startup, just a tiny drop on the Fumoto, and none on the oil filter!!! snug up the Fumoto with half a grunt and now seems ok. here's the aftermath - while sweeping up i find a copper washer that's the exact size of the banjo bolt crush washer.

last week i had taken out the filter on the one by the turbo. thought i had had been fairly sure the back washer didn't fall because the bolt slid out without catching on anything so i assumed the washer was still back there. i've been driving for a week and not noticed any burning oil. this is the first time i dropped the bottom cover and it was probably there all along. wouldn't it have been leaking and burning at the turbo?

Yep.

It should have been leaking...or may be someone else checked that banjo years ago and dropped one of the washers onto the lower cover.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

how much would it leak though? i noticed there seemed to be a bit of oil further back like on the tranny, towards the end of the cover. i didn't notice that before, but will have to keep an eye on things. it's not dropping any oil on the floor so maybe not, but switched to Rotella synth just now. if anything will find leaks, synthetic oil will for sure. shouldn't be too bad this time now that i've sorted the engine bay and the only thing new might be hanging the washer back there with floss while threading the bolt thru. it's true someone could have checked but the screen filter was still there although it was clean...

Update - I went back in there but before I pulled the bolt, I felt around the pipe and around where it could leak and there was no oil. Sewed it back up - a lot easier the second time. The synthetic is doing it's thing though, I got a whiff of burning oil early this morning after a 10 minute drive, will have to watch it. Next up - spark plugs than tranny fluids...

Tranny fluid, is it a 5mt or 5eat ?

I've learned that Motul 300 Gear is the best fluid for the 5mt and rear diff. Should work well in the front diff of a 5eat too.

I get mine from my Tuner, http://www.tuningalliance.com Give them an email they can get most anything you need for the car.

They have a new web site, still under construction.

http://www.tuningalliance.com/home.html

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

It's a 5EAT thanks. I do the tranny fluids at 50k intervals. Last I did it on our Forester and Impreza I used Swepco 201, old school Porsche Club and WRX tuner favorite. I will look into Motul, a quick google shows a few comparisons of one vs the other.

Archived