LegacyGT.com

Exhaust decisions

I recently wanted to add more sound to my Legacy 3.6R. I was looking at the cheapest bolt on option which is the Nameless muffler delete. If anybody has it can they tell me how bad the drone is daily driving it?

Also if anyone recommends other exhaust systems please comment. Thank you!

Here's a short video of the muffler deletes installed on a 3.6R.

He only does a little revving, but in the comments he does mention that it took a bit of getting used to and can be very loud in the car and does drone. I've also heard some drone comlpaints (to a lesser extent) about the 4" nameless mufflers as well, and the 5" seem to be the option many go with since they drone much less. But if loud is what you're going for, the delete is definitely the most noise for the money.

Can't you just unbolt your cans and drive around to see what it sounds like?

Yeah but would that extra bit of pipe and exhaust tips make it sound different? I don't think so, I guess I can try that.

What size mid Pipe?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2.5 on mine, some do 2.25. The raptor headers are 2.25 (compared to 1.5-1.75 stock) but the high flow cats and resonator are 2.5 so from a manufacturing standpoint 2.5 is easier.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Some guys do dual straight back but it produces a different sound n honestly we will never produce the power to even justify my setup.

The raptor headers are truly designed for a boosted engine. They help me tremendously but they are required if you add a turbo or supercharger

Some guys do dual straight back but it produces a different sound n honestly we will never produce the power to even justify my setup.

The raptor headers are truly designed for a boosted engine. They help me tremendously but they are required if you add a turbo or supercharger

I would disagree with your comment. The Raptors allow the EZ36D to exhale exhaust gases more efficiently. Although it does require that the ECU be re-tuned for such improved exhaust flow. Although the headers would also benefit a supercharged engine as well. As for turbo, they can be fabricated to mount a bottom mount turbo, but that was not their intended purpose. If you look at Percitus setup you can clearly see the benefits of the Raptors and upgraded cats.

If I ever get around to Raptors and upgrade cats I intend to upgrade all the way and leave stock mufflers.

2.25" OD as perscitus and myself have, while that result we currently have is huge, to push that much air to maximize the 2.25" you'll need boost. That can probably handle 500+hp no issue. Raptors website says they are required for their supercharger kit, which considering the feeble stock pipes,.,makes sense

A good example is my stock 2.375 in y back vs his 3" magnaflow, I actually might push a bit more power due to the exhaust gas velocity. If the pipes are too big, you lose power. The raptors might verge on that.

Now that said 70/120 over stock bc of raptors is massive

I would disagree with your comment. The Raptors allow the EZ36D to exhale exhaust gases more efficiently. Although it does require that the ECU be re-tuned for such improved exhaust flow. Although the headers would also benefit a supercharged engine as well. As for turbo, they can be fabricated to mount a bottom mount turbo, but that was not their intended purpose. If you look at Percitus setup you can clearly see the benefits of the Raptors and upgraded cats.

If I ever get around to Raptors and upgrade cats I intend to upgrade all the way and leave stock mufflers.

You are going to leave a lot on the table with the stock mufflers, normally I would be all for them, but in your case an N/A engine needs to breathe through both ends. On my GT just swapping the axlebacks picked me up almost a full psi of boost with no other changes, so yeah they are restrictive.

You are going to leave a lot on the table with the stock mufflers, normally I would be all for them, but in your case an N/A engine needs to breathe through both ends. On my GT just swapping the axlebacks picked me up almost a full psi of boost with no other changes, so yeah they are restrictive.

You could use stock LGT mufflers. I've tuned plenty of 5th gens to over 300whp on the stock GT mufflers. The worst restriction in that system is the cat and then the Y split. The GT mufflers would be louder on a 3.6R than on the GT but still much quieter than anything the aftermarket has to offer.

Terrible things like this don't happen where I came from. Other terrible things happen instead.

Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

You could use stock LGT mufflers. I've tuned plenty of 5th gens to over 300whp on the stock GT mufflers. The worst restriction in that system is the cat and then the Y split. The GT mufflers would be louder on a 3.6R than on the GT but still much quieter than anything the aftermarket has to offer.

Terrible things like this don't happen where I came from. Other terrible things happen instead.

Exactly. This is why when you do Raptors it's highly recommended you get new cats and get a bigger, custom y otherwise the gains aren't as big and you rip through the cats quickly...see Perscitus and ItalianLegacy when they first got raptors

Turbo and NA vehicles are two different platforms. You don't always need the largest exhaust to make power on an NA vehicle. On a turbo vehicle larger most of the time is better to a certain point.

I intend to run Raptors that will feed into 2.5" y-pipe with 2.5" hi-flow cats. I will have 2.5" exhaust piping from y-pipe to all the way right before the y before mufflers. I assume that the factory piping is at least 1.5" on each side before stock mufflers. So flow shouldn't be a factor with stock mufflers. Could add WRX mufflers or STi mufflers, but I honestly don't foresee losing power and if so its all the way in the top RPM end where I do less than than 10% of my driving.

Owner already mentioned he's modding for aural gratification.
Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

Owner already mentioned he's modding for aural gratification.

Yes but adding Raptors, Hi-flo cats, and upgraded piping even if you leave stock mufflers will definitely increase sound without being obnoxious. Yet if he just wants sound and no performance, then yes just add some Axle-backs..

Archived