LegacyGT.com

Few questions on replacing the halogen DRL with LED DRL

How technically savvy are you? IMO the end-all-be-all is this.

https://www.diodedynamics.com/store/catalog/product/view/id/24287/s/2015-2017-subaru-legacy-c-light-switchback-led-halos/category/1488/

You get a crisp LED DRL, still retain full high beam use, AND you get some bad ass turn signals. It's just tricky because you have to open the headlights up.

Hard to tell from their webpage. Is that just the c light or headlights as well?

It's just the C light. You use a heat gun to soften the adhesive and pull the head light apart. Just pull out the old c light and put the new one in essentially (and wire it up)

What exactly do you mean by wire it up

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

What exactly do you mean by wire it up

I'm not 100% sure since I haven't done it myself, but from what I understand it's not plug and play. I think there's 3-4 wires. Ground, 12v, turn signal, and another one to send it to half power. It'll run full power as drl, then dim when running with your headlights.

Here was my original question/request:

All I want is an affordable DRL bulb that will function like the OE, just as long as it matches the color CLED.

How we got sidetracked on swapping the CLED I don't know!

Thanks!

I'm not 100% sure since I haven't done it myself, but from what I understand it's not plug and play. I think there's 3-4 wires. Ground, 12v, turn signal, and another one to send it to half power. It'll run full power as drl, then dim when running with your headlights.

Correct, 4 wires. Turn signal, DRL, parking light, ground.

Here was my original question/request:

All I want is an affordable DRL bulb that will function like the OE, just as long as it matches the color CLED.

How we got sidetracked on swapping the CLED I don't know!

Thanks!

Well, there pretty much isn't one. The OE DRL is the high beam running on reduced power, which is why it's dimmed. LEDs draw substantially less power so even with the reduced DRL power, it's still enough to run the LED at full blast. This means that during the day, you'll be riding around with your LED high beams on full blast, potentially blinding and/or distracting drivers. Plus at night, LEDs output isn't very great so you're sacrificing high beam performance.

Replacing the CLED and disabling the OE DRL is the ultimate solution IMO. If you don't want to go that route, you can do what I did. I replaced my fogs with complete LED housings (morimoto Type T fogs) and turned those into my DRL with a harness from andrew_l_s. Now everything functions as it should, and I still have a functioning high beam.

That's my opinion on the matter, but if you're still looking to replace your high beam with an LED one, anything from Xenon depot should do just fine.

Can someone with experience on installing the new DD C-led please PM me. I have kept putting stuff in my cart but yet to checkout, really want to make sure I understand the install before purchase.

Well, there pretty much isn't one. The OE DRL is the high beam running on reduced power, which is why it's dimmed. LEDs draw substantially less power so even with the reduced DRL power, it's still enough to run the LED at full blast. This means that during the day, you'll be riding around with your LED high beams on full blast, potentially blinding and/or distracting drivers. Plus at night, LEDs output isn't very great so you're sacrificing high beam performance.

Replacing the CLED and disabling the OE DRL is the ultimate solution IMO. If you don't want to go that route, you can do what I did. I replaced my fogs with complete LED housings (morimoto Type T fogs) and turned those into my DRL with a harness from andrew_l_s. Now everything functions as it should, and I still have a functioning high beam.

That's my opinion on the matter, but if you're still looking to replace your high beam with an LED one, anything from Xenon depot should do just fine.

Looks like I'll leave well enough alone. Thanks!

I fully agree with upgrading the C-LED and using that as the DRL and disconnecting the harness for the old DRL's. The stock look makes this car look 10 years older, so when properly updated it really brings the car back to modern times.

cab6d346e9618eea374c68093c100fb7.jpg

*Edit* The C-LED doesn't look as bright in this picture as it does in person due to the fact that this was in direct sunlight.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

I fully agree with upgrading the C-LED and using that as the DRL and disconnecting the harness for the old DRL's. The stock look makes this car look 10 years older, so when properly updated it really brings the car back to modern times.

*Edit* The C-LED doesn't look as bright in this picture as it does in person due to the fact that this was in direct sunlight.

I want to make the fogs and C-led be the DRLs, and then those two plus the low beam light to come on in the evening when there is less light outside. Can you shed some light on how to do that?

I want to make the fogs and C-led be the DRLs, and then those two plus the low beam light to come on in the evening when there is less light outside. Can you shed some light on how to do that?

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/fog-drl-248136.html

This is how you can have your fogs as DRL and come on with the low beam too. Do this and install the CLED and bam! Exactly what you want. There's no way to make the factory CLED your DRL though. It's not bright enough anyways.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/fog-drl-248136.html

This is how you can have your fogs as DRL and come on with the low beam too. Do this and install the CLED and bam! Exactly what you want. There's no way to make the factory CLED your DRL though. It's not bright enough anyways.

Your leds will probably stay at full power depending on which one you buy even when used as drls. I didn't like that so i bought a whiter color halogen bulb that can do low power drl and high beam.

on my 03 legacy when they are in DRL mode the LEDs flicker so I just leave them on all the time...

• 1 year later...

2015 Legacy 2.5

I'm replacing my low beams with and LED, and want to use a halogen for the hi/DRLs since I don't want to run my DRL at full power with a LED. Can someone suggest a halogen bulb that will match closely with the white LEDs (or point me to the right thread since I haven't found it)?

TIA

Archived