LegacyGT.com

rod question

Im starting to question me using my sti rods on my build. They have been refurbished and balanced with the rotating assembly. Im worried that they may not be good enough for the power that i will have. Before the rebuild i put down 390wt and 368 hp with 21 psi now ive got a fully built motor except new rods. I am expecting to be around 420-450 to the wheels this time around running more boost and ported heads. I dont know how much boost because i dont know how much my hta71 can put out. It was all dialed back because it was a stock block but now i can push it.

this is strictly on you...

i must say that, before i say this.

i forget how many miles you had on stock rods... the reused ones

but sti rods are forged and are stronger than most. if someone cleared them, then they should be good.

and you just should be aware that you are running 450 hp out of a 4 cylinder, on reused rods. Possibly same wrist pins? are those new?

and should be expecting some sort of issues out of it after you start to get into the mileage (which i cannot give you a good range of someone else woud) that is stage 3.

full on race car build. if thats what you want, get new rods. eagle rods, i hear, are good. i have no website for you, and am just posting to be your first and explain my own thoughts on things

Thanks man for the info. I've decided I'm going with new rods. Carillo h-beams I've put to much money and good parts to skimp now. Plus I'll have head room if I want to ad more power.

Did you decide on a Tuner yet ? You may want to have Mike Kinsman of Tuning Alliance sell you the rods and do your tuning.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Why would the shop that did all the machine work on my motor tell me I don't need to rebalance the rotating assembly with the new rods I plan on getting? The new rods are over 30 grams lighter then the original balance.ive read also that they should have other things also like my crank bolts,flex,plate,crank pulley. I have a 5eat so no clutch to add to that they just did my pistons,crank,rods,rings wrist pins.

This is because of the symetry of the Subaru engine, right? Every time a rod journal goes left one goes right at the same time, and every up has a matching down.

So, if your crank is balanced to itself, and your pully, flywheel, etc are balanced...

This skip the rods thing wouldn't not apply in, say, a V8?

Archived