LegacyGT.com

Questions for 3.6R owners

Had a situation on my way to work today that secured in the need for this in my mind. Was coming up to a street, had to turn right, was in the left lane, slow car in front of me, line of tailgating slow cars next to me (and the generally dickheaded attitude of most Illinois drivers). Lead car of the tail gate pack slowed enough to make a gap, sped up a bit and took it, had plenty of time to stop before the stopped car I was coming up to, but even under like 80%-90% braking, it was still a bit too close for comfort haha. Get brakes.

I think even factory brakes are plenty good, better tires are really what is needed. You need grip before anything else.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Regarding above comment. If you don't plan on tracking the car, I would suggest upgrading the pads and brake lines. The OEM rotors will work fine. I upgraded to Hawk Performance Ceramic and Hawk Sector 7 rotors, but honestly wish I bought S/S lines. Will have to tackle that step in near future.

I was looking into Hawk HPS Street Pads (HB533F.668/HB434F.668) and Brakemotive rotors (BM37156317), but I will definitely add S/S brake lines to my list of things to research. The Hawk rotors look competitive price-wise as well, so I'll probably consider those as well.

I think even factory brakes are plenty good, better tires are really what is needed. You need grip before anything else.

I actually have two brand new tires on the fronts thanks to a screw in one recently haha. Unfortunately, a full set of grippier tires will have to wait until I can save up enough for new wheels as well. Tbh, I was probably just driving too fast for the situation. :lol:

I was looking into Hawk HPS Street Pads (HB533F.668/HB434F.668) and Brakemotive rotors (BM37156317), but I will definitely add S/S brake lines to my list of things to research. The Hawk rotors look competitive price-wise as well, so I'll probably consider those as well.

I actually have two brand new tires on the fronts thanks to a screw in one recently haha. Unfortunately, a full set of grippier tires will have to wait until I can save up enough for new wheels as well. Tbh, I was probably just driving too fast for the situation. [emoji38]

You're lucky..last time I had a screw my tires were at 4..I had to replace all 4..not cheap

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Stay away from the GTI, even if you decide to add power to your 3.6R (it's not very hard) the car will be super cheap maintanence wise. The H6 is a very durable engine with zero of the headache that a turbo will give

Get a 2011+ if you can. 2010s have non folding mirrors

There's a kit from Subaru you can get to convert the fixed mirrors on the 2010 into folding ones. Several people on here have done it.

I knew there was one but forgot if it was simple or cheap so just said 2011 lol

There's a kit from Subaru you can get to convert the fixed mirrors on the 2010 into folding ones. Several people on here have done it.

My Outback has the fixed mirrors. I planned on getting the folding mirror kit after I bought it, but apparently it's not that big of a deal since it has been over 2 years now :).

I would like at least a 2011 to minimize the front end shimmy as well.

Stay away from the GTI, even if you decide to add power to your 3.6R (it's not very hard) the car will be super cheap maintanence wise. The H6 is a very durable engine with zero of the headache that a turbo will give

Get a 2011+ if you can. 2010s have non folding mirrors

Just curious, what are your reasons to stay away from the GTI?

A coworker of mine has a new one, and has continuing problems with the paint on the front. It has been fixed 3 times so far under warranty. Let's not forget VW's reliability rating.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Just curious, what are your reasons to stay away from the GTI?

The reliability, it's not the GTI, it's VW in general. The cost to fix something vs the cost to fix the same thing in a subaru is much higher too.

The reliability, it's not the GTI, it's VW in general. The cost to fix something vs the cost to fix the same thing in a subaru is much higher too.

That is true. I am considering not getting the extended warranty this time around. So far in 2 years it has paid for a new starter in the Outback ($300), but the warranty was like $1200. Planning on putting money aside for maintenance and repairs when they inevitably happen.

I test drove a 2015 GTI. I still beat myself up sometimes for not buying it. They're pretty durable cars and engines AS LONG as they're properly maintained. I have heard issues with water pump failures and coil packs. With turbo engines you've got more to worry about but man, if you ever driven a GTI, you'd understand. They corner so flat but don't beat you up in daily driving. My only gripe is FWD only. If I were to get one it'd be with the new LSD front diff which is only on 2015 and newer. It's like having a race car that's already put together. No swapping out sway bars, swapping out struts/shocks, it just works. I wouldn't be worried about the longevity of the motor itself. It's just the parts around it. If YOU can do the maintenance yourself, I wouldn't shy away from a GTI. The cost is the labor. The part prices aren't that bad actually.

2010-12s will also benefit from the latest ECU and TCU reflashes available from the Dealership (if not already applied). A fair amount has changed, even in the ECU mapping between 2010-12 and 2013-14 3.6Rs

Can you explain more about this ECU and TCU reflashes? I have a 2010 Legacy and I just want some information about this. Thanks

Can you explain more about this ECU and TCU reflashes? I have a 2010 Legacy and I just want some information about this. Thanks

Not sure what level you are starting at - so I'll give the very basics

The engine control unit (ECU) and the transmission control unit (TCU) run software to determine how they operate. They are just very purpose built computers.

Reflashing /tuning them is the same as a software update. It's just loading on new software that governs how the ECU or TCU behaves.

Subaru has different goals in mind when they programmed their ECUs and TCUs. By reflashing them some of the weaknesses (as perceived by enthusiasts) can be removed.

The longer the cars are around the more Subaru learns about how the original software works and where the weaknesses are in the software programming. By going to the dealer and getting the updated software loaded you are running with Subaru's latest and greatest based on the last 6 years.

How much does it cost to get the ECU and TCU reflashed with the latest software? Also how could I tell if my '12 3.6R has the latest software updates? Could they tell by my VIN # if I call a local Subaru dealership?

Sorry for the thread jack.

As for the original poster. When I first purchased my 3.6R with 69k and I filled up the gas tank the Mileage Estimator would show about 380-390 miles for the tank. Car has 82k now, I have performed 2 full synthetic oil changes and I replaced stock intake panel filter with the KN panel filter. I do primarily highway driving. Every time I have refilled the mileage estimator has continued to climb. Today I filled up and it read 470 miles. So it went from about 20-21/mpg mixed to about 24-25mpg. Hoping with the XRT tune we can get better MPG under 3k. Still enjoy her everyday. Neighbor the other day approached me as I was mowing lawn and we started talking cars, he swore it was brand new 2015, was surprised it was 2012. lol.

How much does it cost to get the ECU and TCU reflashed with the latest software? Also how could I tell if my '12 3.6R has the latest software updates? Could they tell by my VIN # if I call a local Subaru dealership?

Sorry for the thread jack.

As for the original poster. When I first purchased my 3.6R with 69k and I filled up the gas tank the Mileage Estimator would show about 380-390 miles for the tank. Car has 82k now, I have performed 2 full synthetic oil changes and I replaced stock intake panel filter with the KN panel filter. I do primarily highway driving. Every time I have refilled the mileage estimator has continued to climb. Today I filled up and it read 470 miles. So it went from about 20-21/mpg mixed to about 24-25mpg. Hoping with the XRT tune we can get better MPG under 3k. Still enjoy her everyday. Neighbor the other day approached me as I was mowing lawn and we started talking cars, he swore it was brand new 2015, was surprised it was 2012. lol.

Hey Ghia, VIN will not do. You would need to either have the dealership read and tell you what your ECUID/CALID and TCUID/CALIDs are. We can then check if they are the latest for your MY2012 3.6R.

Alternatively, you can use RomRaider's logger to identify a bit of info on both, should show up in the status bar at the bottom of the logger when ECU or TCU logging is toggled and ignition on.

Torque Pro or BtSsm will typically give you ECUIDs as well, no TCUID though.

The latest TCU reflash is common for all 5th gen 3.6Rs and was released sometime in Oct/Nov-2012. Comes stock on 2013/14s, can be applied to 2010-2012s.

The latest ECU reflash/es for a 2012 were released sometime in 2013 if I remember corectly.

As far as the XRT tuning that obviously is a paid tune. How is that accomplished, by taking the car to someone that is a certified XRT outlet or do they do a ECU exchange or flash your ECU?

I haven't been around on the boards in a long time and missed this whole conversation. And of course I got no notice from Subaru USA about any ECU or TCU updates. And I'm the original owner.

As far as the XRT tuning that obviously is a paid tune. How is that accomplished, by taking the car to someone that is a certified XRT outlet or do they do a ECU exchange or flash your ECU?

I haven't been around on the boards in a long time and missed this whole conversation. And of course I got no notice from Subaru USA about any ECU or TCU updates. And I'm the original owner.

No..using a Tactrix cable and a laptop that runs ecu Flash and romraider (both free) You get taught to do it all yourself. Its very simple and straightforward.

There will be multiple revisions as each tune is fully customized to your car. Once paid you will be able to reflash with updates as many times as you need

Chas, check this out: http://www.xtremeracingtuning.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=122&t=511 . The guy that runs XRT (west_minist) breaks down the entire process there. Tons of other useful information on that forum, as well as prices, testimonials, videos, etc. He keeps full records and often charts for every vehicle he tunes, and there's a section for the 3.6 H6 that has records of 14 other 3.6R owners tunes that he's done, most if not all of which are also members of this forum. Really useful board.

So what does this tune end up costing after its all said and done? It looks very interesting for sure!

And is it better to do other upgrades first like an exhaust or a CAI?

Chas,

You've got a PM

Archived