LegacyGT.com

Interested in new DD + track time (HPDE) - suggestions?

(sorry for those who have already had to put up with my pestering)

The '05 LGT is starting to show its age. At 120K+ miles, it still runs, and probably will for a while, but it's not going near a track. The 5EAT has seen better days and is probably not great on a track, never been happy with the brakes, etc, etc..

Yeah, I could spend $15K to fix a lot of problems.. But I'd still have an old car that might need a new short block any time..

Wife has agreed it's time for another car (we upgraded the '08 minivan to a '15 earlier this year). Budget is tentatively up to low $40s. We'll keep the LGT as a spare car, since I'd only get $2-3k max for it, having a 3rd car can be handy when one needs to be in the shop, etc..

I'm NOT looking for a hard-core racer. I just want to attend and drive at a few HPDE days to see how I like it. I also want something sporty for the street. 4-seats is a must - I want something I can sort of drive daily (long trips not as important - we have the minivan), but at least 20 miles to work, etc. And be able to pick up our 2 girls in a pinch. They're tall for their age - rear legroom is important.

I've considered an STI, and I could get a new STI within the budget, but then, having lived with the EJ255 for 11 years, I'd have exactly the same ring landing worries, although I guess the transmission and brakes would be better. Also not sure how much maintenance a turbo car needs when "on the track" vs a regular car. Would prefer a hatch, all else being equal, so a little disappointed there's no current hatch.

Other cars I've considered: Focus RS, Chevy SS, used CTS-V. Possibly Charger Scat Pack. Note: some of these may be too small inside. I've sat in SS, and it was awesome, except no folding seats. CTS-V was marginal. Focus ST looks small, so may not happen, but will have to see. Sat in the new WRX, and it seems to be almost LGT size, so STI might work.

Wife would prefer auto, which would eliminate all but the american muscle. But, I might be able to talk her into a manual since we'll have 2 auto cars left. She's driven stick a few times, but not in traffic..

I've owned 4s, turbo 4s, 6s and SC 6s, but never a V8. I'm leaning towards lightly used (~30k miles), and if it turns out in a few years that it was just a really bad call and have to sell and lose $5k on the deal, it's not the end of the world.

My plan is to attend a few HDPE events and see what kinds of cars people are driving, etc..

But, will gladly accept any input from others. Mustang/Camaro V8 + track pack are probably the best value deals from what I've seen, but the totally useless rear seats (and bad visibility for Camaro) take them off the list..

I know, I'm looking for a flex-fuel car that runs either on unobtainium or unicorn tears, but..

Thanks for any suggestions. I'm asking here on LGT because I feel like I'm part of the community and value people's opinions. There are probably other forums that might be more suited to this question, but I honestly don't even know where to look..

A big factor for me when I am looking at cars that I will race is the price of mechanical failures. Basically can I afford to fix it if it breaks? The German high end performance models are really expensive to replace a transmission or engine for even used parts so they are big turn off. The GM LS engines are reasonable to repair. Subaru STi seems like a good candidate. Even though owners engine still have ring land failures they really aren't expensive in term of parts. The WRX can be had in CVT to appease the wife, but STi is better all around for HPDE.

I'd go with an e92 m3 sedan. Plenty of room, amenities, and pretty quick too. You get to experience the super high revving v8, and nice ones that are ~3 years old with 30-40K can be had for about $40K, even high 30's.

this is probably the best suggestion. maybe a DSG EVO X as well.

335 instead of m3 for slightly cheaper maintenance.

Or say eff the rear seat room and grab a naturally aspirated 911 :D

ISTR there being a high carbon-up issue with the 335s.

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Yeah, if going 2 door/2 seat, I'd probably go Cayman or even Boxster. Boxster seems like a Porsche Miata. Cheaper than a Cayman, and good handling. Saw an early 90s 911, and my wife liked it, but again, hard to fit any kids. If I give up the "can take kids" option, there are many more choices.

I did "Exotics Racing" today in Vegas (we're on vacation). Drove a 911 Turbo S, Gallardo Superleggara and 458 Italia. What a blast. Talked it over a bit with the instructor, and he seemed to think an STI was a pretty good choice. And I'm starting to lean that way too. Having an LGT gives me some familiarity with a lot of it. Some of my parts might even fit :-)

I agree with the "germans are too expensive" problem - I had several BMW-lites (VWs - only 2 letters instead of 3 :-) and I already had my mechanic on speed dial.

I'd hate to drop $40k on a BMW without any warranty. I'm sure they'd drop any warranty as soon as they saw I even came close to a track.

I voided my LGT warranty at around 30k with stage 1, been at stage 2 for 60k now (around 120k total), and most of my $$ have been preventative maintenance and upgrades. Except for the front diff dying at around 118k, although maybe due to circumstances I don't want to get into.

The problem is, if I want to upgrade the LGT at this point, I would drop $10-15k easily into an 11-year old car. That still doesn't address the 5EAT that's starting to act up at times (already have throttle happy tune + Hexmods F1). Plus no DCDD, my Konis on stock springs are at 70k and have seen better days, etc. So I'd rather keep the LGT as a 3rd car, and spend a little more on a somewhat newer car..

Thanks for all the replies.

08-09 3.0R. Uprated 5EAT and H6.

A little tired of the 5EAT shifting so slow.. I think the wife's coming around to a manual, since we'll still have 2 cars with auto.. So, anyone who's willing to provide more input, feel free to update your input..

Edit: If I did want/settle for a 5EAT, I'd probably get a 12-13 G37 or G37x w/ the 7EAT, a descendant of our 5EAT.. Drove one, and it felt pretty good, as fast or faster than my LGT w/ bnr16g, nicer interior, lots of room, etc. I just don't know how much work a G37 needs to survive on the track, and how much the 7EAT would bother me. Apparently it has similar issues to the 5EAT (slow shifting). You can a fully reworked 7EAT for $7k or something from IPT, but what's the point of dropping $10k on a car as soon as you buy it to cure the problem you already knew about? The G37s (sport) sounds nice, with a pseudo-LSD, but the sport seats were made for midgets..

I'd go with an e92 m3 sedan. Plenty of room, amenities, and pretty quick too. You get to experience the super high revving v8, and nice ones that are ~3 years old with 30-40K can be had for about $40K, even high 30's.

If I have the years right, E92 is 2007-2013. Within 500 miles of the bay area (norcal), there are 3 sedans under $40k, one is a salvage title, and 2 have 45k miles. Just about where I'd expect the BMW tax to kick in..

Archived